Skaafin are a race of horned, yellow-skinned, red-eyed humanoid Daedra associated with Clavicus Vile. They vary significantly in size, with some being quite small in stature to others being as tall as Altmer. They can be found in Vvardenfell, Cold-Blood Cavern, the Clockwork City Vault, and the Ventral Terminus.
For more information, see the main lore article.
This article is about the Daedra. For the cat in Skywatch, see Herne (cat).
Herne are a race of horned huntsman Daedra previously seen in service to Mehrunes Dagon. Only one appears in the game, and it is technically a renamed Skaafin.
Hostile Skaafin have ambient dialogue that is uttered as they idle. Tall Skaafin are generally more intelligent than their smaller bretheren, and can be seen leading troupes of them wherever they are found. The smaller Skaafin are referred to as "wretches" by their superiors.
- Tall Skaafin
- "Such work is below my station."
- "The Master promised treasures, but all I see is dust."
- "Fetch me that thing's heart."
- "I don't remember groveling that much when I was a wretch."
- "Has anyone fed that thing lately?"
- "I tricked that Armiger! You saw that, right?"
- "The Master personally selected me for this mission."
- "We're definitely going to need some more wretches."
- "To me, wretch."
- "Keep away from the urns, wretch!"
- "I stepped on more than a few heads to get this job."
- "Dead mortals disgust me almost as much as live ones."
- "Little one, you thought to best me in a bargain?"
- "These pitiful creatures should know their place."
- "Trick me? Never going to happen."
- "Which one of you wretches stole my treasures?"
- "Did you see the way those priests ran?"
- "When will dead mortals reform?"
- "Trick worked!"
- "Claw out eyes! Claw out eyes!"
- "Urn broke! He did it!"
- "Many us, few them."
- "Stupid big ones and their stupid orders."
- "Did me hear that?"
- "They promised riches."
- "Hungry One powerful creature, powerful!"
- "You distract. Me take."
- "Me hear something."
- "Quiet! It can hear us."
- "Me think that one's alive."
- "You took it, you eat it."
- "Me hate spirits."
- "Hungry One looked at me!"
- "Hurt it, hurt it!"
- "I smell a mortal."
- "Me no wretch."
- "You take. You take."
- "No, no, No! Legs? No!"
- "Your kill? No, my kill!"
- Similar-looking Daedra appeared in Clavicus Vile's realm in Redguard, but they were simply called "Guardians".
- Cut dialogue implies that Hircine and the Glenmoril Wyrd may have originally planned to be the antagonists in Stormhaven, instead of Vaermina and her Supernal Dreamers. This story would have involved the Vestige being given a task to slay a Herne, and to offer its heart during a Glenmoril Coven's ritual to anger Hircine, as Hernes were one of his favored daedra. Hernes didn't appear in the base game and would appear much later in Morrowind's prologue quest. For more info, please see the Cut Content article.