|Location||Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary|
Elam Drals is a dry-witted Dunmer member of the Dark Brotherhood. You will meet Elam inside the Sanctuary of the Brotherhood where he will assign you various assassination contracts. The contracts become available after you have become an initiate of the Brotherhood and after you have met some members of your new family.
According to several of the related comments, Elam Drals seems to have a distinct passion for food.
- Welcome Home: Introduce yourself to your new family.
- Contract: Kvatch: Accept and carry out your first contract on behalf of the Dark Brotherhood.
- Dark Brotherhood Contracts: Carry out a contract on behalf of the Dark Brotherhood.
When you speak to Elam Drals before accepting the quest Welcome Home, he will say, "Well met, Sister/Brother. I coordinate our family's more mundane contracts. I suggest you get used to this face, because you're going to be seeing a lot of me."
After Astara suggests you meet the other members of the Brotherhood, you can either go directly to Elam Drals or talk to the others first. When you speak to Elam, he will comment, "You must be the new initiate. I've heard some unbelievable things about you. Still, you can't be too good. Your name hasn't appeared on one of my contracts yet. What? That's a Dark Brotherhood joke. Don't you have a sense of humor?"
- Astara said I should speak with you.
- "Did she now? Are you sure that's what she told you to do? Wouldn't want you to get in trouble your first day in the Sanctuary.
- Now that you're here, we might as well discuss your training."
- My training?
- "Don't repeat what I say. It annoys me. Now where was I? Oh yes, your training.
- Complete a contract, receive your reward. Prove yourself, and more significant contracts will be made available to you. It's simple, really."
- I understand.
- "I don't expect you to last a week, but as long as you're still here ....
- Ready for your first contract, Initiate?"
With that, the quest completes and you can now start accepting various contracts.
Your first contract received will always be in Kvatch. When you talk to Elam, he will say "Typically, you'll consult the ledger, "Marked for Death," but I've handpicked something special for your first job."
- Who do I have to kill?
- "Travel to the city of Kvatch, identify the target listed on this contract, then eliminate them. I encourage you to practice with the Blade of Woe, but as long as the target dies, it doesn't really matter how you kill them.
- Can you manage that?"
- I'll return when my target is dead.
After that you have the option to ask him more about the contracts and himself, although he isn't particularly keen about your inquiries, asking, "What are you standing around for? I'm not too much at and neither is this room."
- Who takes out these contracts?
- "Anyone can find a reason to kill someone. Ambition, jealousy, humiliation. I once killed for a jester who couldn't take a joke.
- Careful who you heckle in Stormhaven."
- I'd like to know more about you.
- "Me? I'm flattered. No, that's not the right word ....
- Uncomfortable? Yes, that's it. Whatever do you want to know about me for?"
- I just want to know who I'll be working with.
- "Not the brooding type? Good. They're a bore.
- I've been with Astara at this Sanctuary since its inception. More years than I care to remember. In that time I've done enough contract killing to know how to drum up business. It's my charm."
When you have finished your first contract and return to Elam Drals, he will say, "You're back, I see. How could I not? You're standing in my light. So tell me. How did you do?"
- I completed my first contract.
- "Well, good for you. But don't get too full of your accomplishments just yet. That was a fairly easy contract I started you with.
- Come back when you're ready for more. If the Speaker or the Matron give an order, though, that takes priority."
A Lesson in Silence
After you have completed this quest, you have the opportunity to ask Elam Drals about the risks related to being an assassin for hire,
- How often does an assassin die during a mission?
- "Did seeing Cimbar laid low give you pause? It should.
- If someone as highly trained as him can be caught and killed, what's that say about your own chances?"
- Any advice for me?
- "Some recruits believe joining the Dark Brotherhood imbues them with an otherworldly protection. The smarter ones remember we're all still flesh and blood.
- Be the latter, Initiate."
Questions of Faith
- What do you think of this business with the Silver Dawn?
- "You did well to rescue Hildegard. Our numbers are thinning quickly enough as it is.
- But if you're finished traipsing through the woods, there's work to be done. You still need to earn your keep."
- I wasn't traipsing.
- "No, I imagine not. You seem more like a frolicker."
A Special Request
When you have carried out the respective contracts and gained rank 5, you can tell Elam about it to hear his thoughts,
- Did you hear about the Governor?
- "Fortunata? Yes, quite a notch in your belt. I suppose I'll have to concede that you've come into your own. I'll have to muster a bit of respect when I speak to you from now on.
- Or at least a trifle."
- Thank you, Elam.
- "Don't let it go to your head. My esteem is a narrow and treacherous ledge from which you may plummet at any time.
- It widens with bribery."
After the dramatic conclusion of Dark Revelations and when you have increased your Dark Brotherhood rank to 6, you have the option to speak to Elam Drals about Mirabelle:
- We lost Mirabelle to the Black Dragon.
- "I'm aware ....
- I don't play favorites, Assassin. Except for Mirabelle. Now she's gone and I feel like I'm the worse for it."
- Were you close?
- "We had similar outlooks, that's all.
- She wouldn't approve of us sitting here moping. If you need me, I'll be drinking to her and sharpening my knives."
A Ghost from the Past
- We finished our investigation at Blackwood.
- "Our new recruits seem obsessed with the notion that the Black Dragon is one of us. Initiates will believe anything, but Astara said you were looking into it.
- So, is there truth to it?"
- It's true. She was once a part of the Dark Brotherhood.
- "To turn your back to us is to invite the knife, so she struck first. The fool. It only delays the inevitable.
- When the Wrath of Sithis catches up to her, all this will be a thousandfold."
The Wrath of Sithis
After dealing with the Black Dragon and gaining guild rank 8, Elam will have a few comments about this,
- I killed the Black Dragon.
- "You probably expect some pithy remark, but all I can come up with is, "you have my thanks." Such are the times we live in.
- I hope she suffers for what she did."
- I sent her to Sithis, her fate is in the Dread Father's hands now.
- "I'd like to think he'll permit our fallen Brothers and Sisters to enact some vengeance of their own, or at least bear witness to whatever fate she suffers.
- Bah, listen to me. I'm starting to sound like a true believer."
Filling the Void
The Dark Brotherhood members, among them Elam Drals, will assist you in getting through the tunnels under the Chapel of Akatosh. You'll encounter Elam and Astara together in the catacombs when they drop down from a hole in the ceiling and approach a gate:
- Elam: "Astara! Assassin! This way."
- Astara: "Is it locked like the last one? I should've brought a prybar."
- Elam, sighing: "It's sealed up tight. Can't get through this way."
- Astara: "Artorius really doesn't want any company, does he?"
On the other side of the locked gate, a sentry will approach.
- Astara: "Wait. Someone's coming. We'll find you again, Assassin."
Astara and Elam will use smoke bombs to quickly sneak out of the area. Look away from the gate; there's another passage, leading downstairs, that you can use.
Later, when you speak to Elam Drals after assisting Grazda and before entering the cathedral, he will say,
- "I come to investigate the sounds of battle and what do I find? You, standing over the bodies of our fallen foes.
- Good work, Assassin."
- I thought you were running around with Astara?
- "This place reminds me of the Baron's Maze back in Cloudrest. Confusing network of passages. But there was a terrific meat pie stall near the entrance.
- Anyway, Astara and I split up to cover more ground. We'll be there when you reach Artorius."
After completing the quest and having granted the rank of Silencer, Elam will congratulate you, saying,
- "Silencer, is it? I suppose that's fitting. After all, your name is on four of my top contracts now.
- That's just a Dark Brotherhood joke, my friend. I see your sense of humor is still in a distressing state of disrepair."