Alchemy Ingredients are used in alchemy for making potions or poisons.
Reagents have four characteristics. Two reagents are required to create a potion or poison. When reagents are selected which share characteristics, those characteristics manifest in the resulting potion or poison.
In terms of harvesting, reagents fall into four types: default nodes, fungal nodes, water nodes, and creature loot, each spawning from a different location:
- Default nodes can be found in most places in Tamriel where plant life grows. These reagents will often have mostly positive alchemical effects.
- Fungal nodes will often be found around fallen trees, dark areas, and near decaying matter (such as in bogs). These reagents will often have mostly negative alchemical effects.
- Water nodes will be found near rivers, lakes, and the sea.
- Creature loot can be found by killing certain creatures and enemies (such as catching butterflies or killing mudcrabs) rather than a specific node to collect.
Potion Solvents can be looted from water skins and with lower probability from random containers. They can be collected from spots of pure water found at various bodies of water too. Poison Solvents can be looted from defeated enemy creatures.
The solvent types you find in the world depend either on your level or the rank of your Solvent Proficiency. For example, a 160 character with Solvent Proficiency 2 will receive either Pristine Water or Lorkhan's Tears in water sources and Slime or Alkahest in oil sources.
The following creatures are known to drop poison solvents:
Clear Water is also used in one Provisioning recipe (unfortunately higher level waters will not work, making this recipe somewhat difficult to make for higher leveled players):
- Prior to One Tamriel, specific potion solvents were found in certain zones, rather than being tied to your level and Alchemy skill. Battle-leveled zones were the exception, where solvents were determined by your Solvent Proficiency.
- Pre-Update 12, Natural Water was found in Tier 1 Zones, Clear Water in Tier 1 and 2, Pristine Water in Tier 2 and 3, Cleansed Water in Tier 4 and 5, Filtered Water in Coldharbour, Purified Water in Veteran Silver Zones, Cloud Mist in Veteran Gold Zones, Star Dew in Craglorn, and Lorkhan's Tears in the existing battle-leveled zones.
- Pre-Update 9, Lorkhan's Tears was consistently found in Imperial City.
- Pre-Update 8, Filtered Water was consistently found in Cyrodiil.