Oblivion talk:Mages Guild
|Archive 1: Mar 2006 - Sep 2009|
This has been bugging me for a while, but does anyone have a theory as to why the only members of the guild to carry a mages staff is Ocato, Ardaline and Hannibe Traven, when 'every mage carries one' according to Raminus?--Kaito 20:10, 31 October 2009 (UTC)
- I don't think there is any explanation other than that the developers didn't think to add Mages staves to all members. Talk Wolok gro-Barok Contributions 10:24, 2 November 2009 (UTC)
The Mages Guild are Hypocrites...
The Mages Guild are Hypocrites when it comes to Necromancy and Turn Undead spells are confusing in Oblivion
Okay, in the game, I am a member of the Mages Guild. I go to Chorrol, and I go to the Mages Guild guy who sells Conjuration Spells there, I look through the list of the spells he is selling, and then I notice, he's selling spells that summon Undead Creatures like Headless Zombies and stuff. As I can remember, the Mages Guild has banned the practise of Necromancy. However, those Conjuration Spells are just as bad, so in a sense, the Mages Guild are hypocrites if they are allowing the sale of spells to its members which summon creatures of the undead.
It's just plain stupid that the Developers didn't notice that tiny redundant part of the modern Mages Guild politics lore. Seriously, if you summon something of the undead, your just as bad as the Necromancers. You get negative reactions from fellow Mages Guild members when you wear a Necromancer's Robe, and yet they are selling spells that summon the Undead. Amazing the Churches aren't attacking the Mages Guild about the matter, considering that the undead are the souls of the dead who can't rest or something like that. When you use a Turn Undead spell, if you have played games like Neverwinter Nights 2 or Baldur's Gate 2, you'd expect the spell to destroy the undead you hit it with but instead it makes the undead creature scared. Seriously, the dead have nothing but contempt for the living and I doubt the undead can even feel any emotions and fear is an emotion. So it got damn confuses me when I am fighting a SKELETON creature, I cast Turn Undead and it runs away from me, and the Skeleton enemies don't have brains, Zombies do... but the brain has been dead for a while so it can't process anything. It just doesn't make sense.--CelestialNeko 13:58, 8 January 2010 (AEST)
- First, necromancy isn't simply summoning the undead; it is raising the undead (a more permanent change), necromancers will usually desecrate actual corpses to raise undead and raise the same corpse many times, while summoning simply returns a soul and/or physical presence for a short time. Next, the Turn Undead spell does exactly what it says, it turns the undead away from you. This isn't the same as fear, more like confusion, however the effects are similar; both cause the enemy to run away.---Masterlocksmith 10:11, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
- But still, wouldn't the Church start harrassing the Mages Guild in Chorrol about the fact that one of their members is selling spells that summons these things. Considering how adamant the church is about releasing the souls of the undead. For crying out loud! The Church is right behind the Mages Guild in Chorrol. But then again, I would laugh if one of the priests in the Churchs comes up and goes hostile on me and summons an Undead. The Undead... the Living Dead... those who live in blissful Undeath... meh. Sometimes I wish there would be an Official Expansion for Oblivion where someone tries to return all existance to nothingness (something along the lines of ending existence as we know it... that would make for a pretty dramatic storyline at least...)--CelestialNeko 11:58, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
- It's hard to give specifics, since everybody does things a bit differently, but the most likely thing here is that you didn't complete a previous MG quest quite the way the game expected. There have been several reported weaknesses in the scripting of the various guild quests, so that's the most likely explanation. If you've been saving frequently, go back and figure out the last time you were at the expected rank and just re-play from that point. If not, you may always be one rank too low. I don't think this causes any major problems, but don't quote me on that. ‒ Robin Hood↝talk 20:26, 23 June 2010 (UTC)
- I also failed to get an advancement, specifically the one for completing "A Plot Revealed". 184.108.40.206 02:28, 4 July 2010 (UTC)
Losing Bruma M.G. is a good reason not to advance
I'm not sure if this should be considered a "limitation," but I think that losing the Bruma Mages Guild is actually a good enough reason to stop questing beyond "Information at a Price." There are few enough sources for soul gems and weapon recharges in the game as it is. Losing access to Selena Orania and Volanaro is not worth the perks you get from advancement. The only unique benefits of being Arch-Mage are the Enchanted Chest and acquiring a few followers, which are not worth the trade in my opinion. I think I'm going to call it good at Warlock.
I know that players are warned of this consequence on the quest pages, but it seems that the trade-off could be better articulated (perhaps on this page). I had to do quite a bit of research to determine what the trade-off really is. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 20 October 2010
- I don't think it's important enough. Once you acquire Azura's Star, soul gems and recharging become trivial so the loss of one guild hall isn't that big a deal. rpeh •T•C•E• 10:07, 21 October 2010 (UTC)
if you waer the gray cwl of nocturnal to become the gray fox you can kill as many mages as you want and not get suspended, great for getting kills for duskfang/dawnfang, i killed about 10 mage apprentices this way with no mods Hellsing=teh epikness, D-Gray Man=Teh epikness 16:12, 22 December 2010 (UTC)
- Why would you be suspended? It is not you doing the killing. It is the Gray Fox. --Brf 16:17, 22 December 2010 (UTC)
- Yes. That was my point, too. There is no need to mention it on this page specifically, since it would be true of any crime you commit as such. --Brf 17:37, 22 December 2010 (UTC)
I was suspended from the mages guild for accidentaly killing someone during the anvil mage quets, but when i got to raminus he said i have to get daedric hearts, only one down fall I finished the main quest and the KotN is there any other place to get daedric hearts? or will i be permanently suspended? Secret Chief 21:24, 10 January 2011 (UTC)
thank you Secret Chief 18:27, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
buy a dadrea heart and clone it.
Once you become the leader of the guild you gain the ability to order the members to follow you , so im wondering if they die will they respawn?
- Nope. I don't think they respawn. They're not like City Guards. :D Shianni 14:56, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- It would be nice to get rid of one, though. When I was going through the Mages Guild Quests, all of them hogged my bed. D: Not easy to get sleep. Shianni 14:58, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- Perhaps, I should have killed one first, responded later. :| Sorry for providing false information. Shianni 15:16, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
They don't always respawn, although I believe they're supposed to. Many, many moons ago, I lost two Breton apprentices during the Great Gate battle at Bruma, and that was it--gone for good. Probably a glitch, but still . . . (PS3 user)18.104.22.168 17:54, 7 February 2012 (UTC)Marcus
problem with NPC
HELP! you know the quest in the mages quild where that old woman that needs the necklace to see and hear again? well i got the necklace but.........SHE SAYS NOTHING HAS CHANGED AND WONT TAKE THA AMULATE I FEEL THAT I NEED TO GET THAT CHEAT THAT REMOVES QUESTS SO I CAN DO IT AGAIN! please if you know why this happens and can help me solve it Please send a Gmail to Wstrydom66@gmail.com or if you have steam request friend Unknown Assassin or through runescape my name is unknown00man — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 01:49 on January 27, 2011
- Did you kill Kalthar in the fort? If you did and its still not working, you can type setstage MG07Leyawiin 100 into the developer console to finish the quest. 126.96.36.199 17:57, 21 May 2011 (UTC)
Jumped Master Wizard Level
I finished the Mages Guild quests and became arch mage, however i missed the Master Wizerd advancement, as i wasnt told to ask for advancement (I'm an Achement hunter on xbox 360) None of my saves go back far enough to redo that section, is there a known way of getting the achiment without restarting the game just for that part? — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 16:21 on 1 February 2012
- Nope. On an Xbox, you're out of luck. You can only fix this on the PC. – Robin Hood↝talk 05:44, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
Council of Mages
How do we know that the Council of Mages is 5 members?184.108.40.206 21:40, 13 July 2016 (UTC)
No beds for player
When I try to sleep in the Mage's Quarters, it seems that every single bed is taken. Wondering if this is a glich and some characters are sleeping in beds they're not assigned to (I know it's not just apprentices who sleep there), or if it's a dev oversight. It wouldn't bother me if I was speedrunning the Mage's Guild questline but I'm training most of my magic skills there. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 07:18 on 4 February 2018 (UTC)
- Where specifically are you trying to sleep? If I had to guess, you're just trying to sleep in an owned bed. Just try sleeping somewhere else. --AKB Talk Cont Mail 07:18, 4 February 2018 (UTC)