Oblivion talk:Honor Thy Mother
if you have trouble with Mathieu Bellamont, try just blocking with a shield(i used Escutcheon of Chorrol) and let the other brother kill him, i only lost 63 health with this tactic — Unsigned comment by Magelund (talk • contribs) on 8 August 2006
I travel to the lucky old lady with arquen and then they just sit around, holding torches. Arquen turns and looks at me but nothing else. Why? How can I fix it? — Unsigned comment by Loopyloo (talk • contribs) on 31 January 2007
- Ah, I love people who say they fixed their problem but don't actually explain how. Having the same problem, I'll probably just push them to the trapdoor (by walking into them) after I use enableplayercontrols in the console. Worked with Armand Christophe who was just standing outside his home and I pushed him all the way to the garden each time >.< — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) on 14 July 2008
- Having the Same issue here... Is it really so hard to just say how it was solved? Even EnablePlayerControls wont seem to solve the issue.
Black Hand stuff
Can you really call the BH robes/hoods valuable? They're worth 0 gold and once you've got one of each, there's nothing you can use the rest for (e.g. give to allies, as they are not weightless). — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 4 April 2007
- The robes fortify your sneak and your blade alot, so, if your a sneaky character, then they are very usefull. With the robes on, I am surprised when I FAIL to pickpocket someone. They are valuable in the field, not the market. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 19 July 2007
tone of the article
"spill his blood to the earth and end his unspeakable madness". it sounds cool, but this is an encyclopedia and i don't think it fits. Lalanas 00:37, 5 April 2007 (EDT)
what's in the tomb?
What is inside this tomb in the way of loot? Are we talking random lootlisted chests or are there static items? Gerdofal 14:57, 28 October 2007 (EDT)
- Now, I'm not positively sure about this, but I believe that the loot in the tomb is consistent and leveled (as in the same items will be present, but attuned to your specific level). — Unsigned comment by SubtleCynicism (talk • contribs) on 28 October 2007
Can followers come to the Night Mother? --Debatra 22:53, 2 July 2008 (EDT)
- That would be "no". --Debatra 23:20, 2 July 2008 (EDT)
- (Question moved here from User talk:Daveh)
An alchemy ingredient is talked about here - Lichor. You mentioned locations where it could be found; however, you neglected to include the small table between a closet and a desk on the top floor of the Anvil Mages Guild. 22.214.171.124 18:04, 18 August 2008 (EDT)
- If you have questions about an article's content, the correct place to discuss the article is on the article talk page (i.e., here) rather than asking on an individual editor's talk page, especially an editor who didn't even write the sentence about which you're asking. As for your question, the sentence in question includes a link to the Lichor article, which contains complete information on every place where you can obtain Lichor, including the Anvil Mages Guild. More detailed information is not appropriate in the quest article, especially since the lichor isn't even part of the quest itself. --NepheleTalk 18:24, 18 August 2008 (EDT)
Insanely weird bug
I have not seen this bug been mentioned before, and I think it should be added. When I arrived at applewatch, I was met by the remaining members of the Black Hand, Belisarius Arius, Banus Alor, Matheiu Bellamont, Arquen and...an Imperial Legion Forester. He is walking around, restless , having casual conversations with the Speakers about mud crabs. He will also say "Greetings fellow speaker" to me when I walk by him. The hanging corpse of Lucien doesn't seem to bother him at all... I don't know why he is there, but he is unable to leave, even after everyone else have left. I'm done with this and the following quest, and still when I visit applewatch he is there. At least now he doesn't adress me as a fellow speaker anymore (at least he hasn't yet, but also when the DB-members were there he would mix up the "greetings fellow speaker" with the casual "You have my ear, citizen,", "this better be good", etc...) When I attack him and chose "resist arrest", he will still not follow me out. The bounty I get remains, and other guards will stop me if I approach them, but he will stay back in Applewatch. I remember there being some Imperial Legion Foresters outside when I was killing Perennia Draconis, and at one occasion he came in right after I'd killed her and arrested me (I loaded an older save after that, since I didn't want to be cathed). There's also a bunch of poisoned apples lying around the house, since I used the duplication method to make them (I thought I'd kill her with those instead, but it didn't work out since she makes her own food...). Is this an isolated bug, or has anyone else experienced it? I am playing on the xbox 360, and I've been playing for 140 hours on the file this is happening to.
ps. I also wrote this under discussion on "Following a lead", but since the bug happens at the transition from that quest to this (and since no one replied to my old post, that's been up for some time now) I thought I'd add it here as well. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 18:56 on 17 June 2010
- Generally, we don't document bugs that are very weird and not replicable (i.e., one-off bugs). If you can do it reliably under certain documentable conditions, then we would put it on the page. ‒ Robin Hood↝talk 20:31, 17 June 2010 (UTC)
- I know this one is pretty old, but I managed to get something similar with a little testing. I used setstage to get the Next of Kin quest, chased Perennia Draconis inside, then went to find a forester. Got his attention (by punching him in the face), then let him chase me into Applewatch. Killed the woman, yielded to him, paid my fine, then used setstage to advance up to going to meet the other members of the Black Hand. When I went in, sure enough, he was still in there, wandering around. He didn't give me the "fellow Speaker" greeting, but one of the others has a pretty similar voice, if not the exact same one, and said it a few times while I was there, so it may be that the person who brought this up was mistaking their greeting (the line spoken when someone approaches, not the line spoken when activated) with the forester's. As above, I could attack him, resist arrest, and run outside without being pursued. If I went back inside and talked to him, he'd initiate the under arrest dialogue again (but would be in the process of putting his bow away when I came in, and wouldn't attack me unless I resisted again). It wouldn't surprise me if, when the above commenter reloaded their save, their forester was just spawned inside as a minor bug, since that's the last cell the game had him in, and they just didn't go inside again until this point in the quest line. It might be possible to sneak out after the forester follows one into the building, then fast travel away and not return until the Black Hand is there, which might also leave him trapped.
- Doesn't seem worthy of going onto the page, though, since I'd imagine this sort of thing could happen all over the place. I just thought it might be worth mentioning that while this might require a very specific and unusual set of circumstances, it might be possible to replicate it or something very like it. I'll see if I can replicate the original reported glitch more closely later on. -MuddlingThrough 01:05, 6 August 2011 (UTC)
- Most of the speakers stare at you rather than the Night Mother when she is speaking.
In my experience, only the traitor stares at you. Feel free to discuss, and move it back if you feel the need to.--Catmaniac66 04:18, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
- It's true from my experience, but it's not really worth mentioning anyway. rpeh •T•C•E• 06:40, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
Another moved note
- There seems to be a bug in which after the crypt is opened and the player is arrested and serves jail time the Night Mother seems to become a normal Dunmer wearing Red Velvet clothes
I don't know how long that note has been there but looking at the talk page i can find nothing to back it up, i moved it here in case anyone actually can verify this. If so, it can be moved back to the page. Razor 21:31, 9 February 2011 (UTC)
Any other then me that have had a problem witch causes Mathieu Bellamont to not attack the two other speakers? When this happend i was not able to move either, so i was completely stuck. This was only on one of my charcters. In any case, do you now what the problem is? I played on xbox so i couldn`t use the console.--Archain 20:13, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
- I could swear i saw a note somehwere about this bug, which was supposed to be a rare one and loading an earlier save would do probably do it. Problem is that i'm not sure, maybe someone else can remember earlier reports on this? Razor 22:54, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
A note to verify and clean up
There is a glitch of undetermined cause which prevents Arquen from beginning the incantation to summon the Night Mother after speaking to the player. The black hand will simply stand around the statue forever. This is not fixed by loading a previous save: the only known way to fix this bug is by extensive use of the console.
For example, it is possible to use the console to enable player controls, set the quest stage to 40, disable the base of the statue (exposing the door to the crypt), and then enter and loot the crypt. At this point, the Night Mother will engage in the dialogue to enchant your Blade of Woe and make you listener. This leaves all of the Black Hand in the center of Bravil (except for Arquen, who teleports to Cheydinhal); they are essential characters, but can be disabled by use of the console.
I moved this note to see if it could be verified, cleaned up, and formatted to conform with the page, as it requires all of them and I don't particularly care to take care of it myself at this moment. Eric Snowmane 02:49, 8 December 2011 (UTC)
- This same bug just happened to me: I was stuck in cinematic mode, without being able of doing anything outside the crypt: I solved by enabling player controls, teleporting to the crypt (coc command) and advancing at the stage 30 (maybe 40, can't really remember). After this, just like you've said, Arquen teleport to Cheydinhal while Bellamont just remains outside doing nothing (i guess the others remains inside the crypt). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to determine the cause of this bug. --Fedexist (talk) 21:57, 8 December 2013 (GMT)