The Fighters Guild is one of the main factions that the player can join. Membership provides many benefits to physically inclined characters and also initiates a series of quests.
The Fighters Guild, present across most of Tamriel, provides a common and, more importantly, public place of training, study, and employment for those of a martial persuasion. The guild is a professional organization chartered by the Emperor to regulate the hiring and training of mercenaries, protect commerce, capture or drive away beasts, and similar security duties. Guild halls can take on a contract from any citizen, provided it does not conflict with the laws or customs of the region.
The Guild gained greater prominence at the beginning of the Third Era under Uriel I. Guild Stewards are entrusted with receiving and dispensing contracts to Guild members, hearing complaints about the servicing of said contracts, promotions, and determining the eligibility for re-admittance into the Guild of former members who had stolen from or assaulted other members.
For more information, see the main lore article.
There are Fighters Guild halls in every city (except Kvatch and the Imperial City), but you can only sign up in three cities: Anvil (talk to Azzan), Cheydinhal (talk to Burz gro-Khash), or Chorrol (talk to Vilena Donton). If you are following the Main Quest, Chorrol is the most convenient place to sign up, as Weynon Priory (the destination of Deliver the Amulet) is just outside of Chorrol. Otherwise, one of the other two cities may be a better choice, since you will immediately be able to ask for assignments in either.
It is a good idea to join the Fighters Guild early in the game if you plan to play as an evil character, because they do not allow characters with an Infamy score of 100 or greater to join unless you also have 100 or more Fame.
- Once you are a member, almost any item in the various Fighters Guild branches throughout Cyrodiil is yours for the taking - without penalty.
- Many Fighters Guild trainers only offer their services to members. Therefore, you have to join if you are planning to receive advanced training in Blade and basic training in Hand to Hand, Heavy Armor, or Block. Fighters Guild merchants also only sell goods to members.
- Once you obtain Master rank, you get a monthly salary. It is deposited in the Guildmaster's Chest, which can be found directly behind the desk on the top floor of the Chorrol Fighters Guild. You will receive all kinds of gold, weapons, and armor in this salary. You also get to decide the overall strategy of the Fighters Guild. Focusing on recruitment brings in more items, while focusing on contracts earns you more gold. Opting for the 50/50 solution gives you a nice balance of both gold and items.
- It is not possible to join the Fighter's Guild if you have a bounty.
- If you commit a crime against another member of the guild, you will be Expelled from the Fighters Guild, and will have to complete a miniquest to get back in to the guild. If you get kicked out three times, you can never rejoin the Fighters Guild.
Each major city hosts a branch of the Fighters Guild in its own Guild Hall, except for Kvatch and the Imperial City.
Azzan's Quests - Anvil
Modryn Oreyn's Quests - Chorrol
Most Fighters Guild quests provide the exact same reward: a leveled amount of gold and a one point increase in Fame. The standard gold reward is shown in the following table.
- This is a list of all registered Fighters Guild members in Cyrodiil.*
*In addition to these members, there is an unnamed Fighters Guild Porter in every guild hall.
**These three are not actually found in Cheydinhal, but in the Desolate Mine near it. See the quest for more information. (They are also sometimes seen in the cities after the quest is completed or when you are arrested.)
- An achievement will be unlocked each time you advance in rank.