|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Oblivion NPC Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. If you make an addition to this page, please update this template accordingly, but make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|Location||Cloud Ruler Temple|
|Essential||Until The Path of Dawn Stage 79|
|Follower||Light the Dragonfires|
|Faction(s)||Character gen Blades; Emperor faction, for Uriel and Martin|
Baurus is a Redguard member of the Blades who starts the game as a bodyguard to Emperor Uriel Septim. As you quickly learn, however, Baurus is unable to save the Emperor from the assassination plot. As the only Blades member to have survived the assassination attempt, Baurus takes the failure somewhat personally, and proceeds to spend his time searching for the assassins. Baurus wears a full set of Blades armor and wields his Akaviri katana in combat. While sleeping or undercover, he wears leather boots, leather bracers, belted braies and a green wool shirt. He also carries a moderate amount of gold.
During the quest The Path of Dawn, you are tasked to meet up with Baurus and help his investigations; at this time you can usually find him at Luther Broad's Boarding House in the Imperial City Elven Gardens District. Although up until that quest, Baurus has been an essential NPC (i.e., unkillable), during this quest he can be killed.
If he survives, he will then relocate to Cloud Ruler Temple for the remainder of the game, here he will also have a full set of Blades armor you can remove from his body if he dies. If you talk to him at Cloud Ruler Temple, he will give you free skill boosts in Blade (+1), Block (+1), and Heavy Armor (+1). While Martin is still alive Baurus will watch him night and day. Also, he will fight by Martin's side in subsequent battles, such as the Defense of Bruma, and Light the Dragonfires.
If Baurus dies at any point and you talk to Jauffre about him while holding Baurus's Akaviri Katana, Jauffre will say, "He will not be forgotten. He goes to Aetherius to join the other fallen heroes of the Blades. I thank you for recovering his sword. I will set it in a place of honor in the Great Hall of Cloud Ruler Temple.", then he will take it from you and do what he says by adding it to the wall above the fireplace in Cloud Ruler Temple next to the swords of Glenroy and Captain Renault (if you retrieved them). If you ask about Baurus again, or if you simply haven't got his sword, he will say, "He served with honor. No Blade could ask for higher praise."
Almost all Baurus' dialogue is unique to him, but most poignant are his words when asked about Martin at the end of the main quest:
- The scholars and priests can debate what happened to Martin in the end.
- What I know is that he sacrificed himself to save us all. As a Blade, I'm proud to have served such a master, if only for a short while.
- Tutorial: You must follow the secret escape route to escape the prison.
- Deliver the Amulet: You must deliver the Amulet of Kings to Jauffre in Weynon Priory.
- The Path of Dawn: You must return to Baurus in the Imperial City to try to track down the stolen Amulet of Kings.
- Defense of Bruma: Let a Great Oblivion Gate open outside of Bruma.
- Light the Dragonfires: Escort Martin to the Temple of the One… but will you be able to crown him Emperor?
- As with numerous other NPCs, Baurus doesn't employ the principles needed to participate in the Speechcraft minigame.
- Baurus also appears in the Jaws of Oblivion card expansion for Legends, as the card Emperor's Attendant.
- Baurus has a dialogue failsafe in place for if the game somehow messes up when predicting your class during the Tutorial. This is seemingly impossible to trigger in the final game. If it was possible to be heard, Baurus would've said, "There are rats and goblins down there, but from what I've seen of you, I'm guessing you're experienced enough to handle them. Am I right?"