|Skill: Short Blade|
Successful Attack: +0.75
Characters with great Short Blade skill are more effective with short, quick, thrusting weapons like daggers, tantos, short swords, and wakizashis.
The following races receive bonuses to their Short Blade skill:
The following classes have Short Blade as a Major skill:
The following classes have Short Blade as a Minor skill:
The following factions include Short Blade as one of their favored skills:
- Nileno Dorvayn at Hlaalu Council Manor in Balmora (up to 74)
- Mathyn Bemis in the Hlaalu Ancestral Vaults in Vivec (up to 72)*
- Athesie Andas on the Upper Level of Andasreth (up to 70)*
- Athyn Sarethi in the Sarethi Manor in Ald'ruhn (up to 70)
- Avon Ravel on the Bottom Level of Hlormaren Keep (up to 70)*
- Faral Retheran in the Redoran Treasury in Vivec (up to 70)
- Navil Ienith at Dren's Villa on Dren Plantation (up to 70)
See Short Blade Trainers for the complete list.
*These NPCs are hostile, and will attack on sight
The following books will increase your Short Blade skill:
The dagger and short sword are Western Imperial weapons. The tanto and wakizashi are styled after Akaviri blades. These weapons are light and fast, most effective against lightly armored opponents, but a skilled user can outlast more heavily armed and armored opponents. The dagger, tanto, and short sword are thrusting weapons, the wakizashi a chopping and slashing weapon. Rank them by effectiveness as dagger, tanto, short sword, and wakizashi, with dagger least effective. - Garothmuk gro-Muzgub
* Silver Daggers sometimes appear in a cursed variety, identified as "Ancient Silver Dagger". See Cursed Items for details.
** A cursed version of the Glass Dagger also exists. The cursed version may be identified on sight by its lower damage values.
*** The Daedric Wakizashi is the most powerful short blade, as a custom-enchanted weapon, in the entire game (including all official expansions and plugins). While only the third most powerful short blade in stock damage, after the unique and pre-enchanted Fang of Haynekhtnamet (base + Shock Damage) and the unenchanted Goblin SwordTR (base damage only), it can have up to an additional theoretical 1–109 points in either Fire or Frost Damage. Because the Magnitude slider only goes to 100, the actual minimum non-wasteful enchantment is 10–100 (any combination that adds up to 110 will also use the full capacity of the weapon, e.g. 40–70). Thus, its actual maximum damage per strike is 130 total (plus any bonuses for Strength, Weakness to [effect], etc.); the Daedric Shortsword maxes at 126, the Ebony Shortsword at 94, the Goblin Sword at 80, the Daedric Tanto at 73, and the Fang at 70.