|# Samples||162 (+5 cursed)|
- "Raw ebony is one of the most precious substances in the Empire, and most of the continent's deposits are here on Vvardenfell. Raw ebony itself is an extremely hard, durable, black glass-like substance, said to be the crystallized blood of the gods. Raw ebony is protected by Imperial law, and may not be mined or exported without an Imperial charter. Ebony smuggling is a profitable but dangerous source of illegal wealth on Vvardenfell." Tendris Vedran and Anarenen
Raw Ebony is a valuable commodity, mostly found in well-guarded mines. It is only sold by two vendors with limited supplies of it*, though all who buy ingredients will purchase it from you, despite such transactions being forbidden without a charter. Raw Ebony can also be found in barrels and other containers in Dwemer ruins, though these are less predictable. Mines are the best place to find the substance, though you have to keep an eye out for witnesses when you steal it. The other hindrance to this practice is that Raw Ebony is relatively heavy. However, its comparatively high value can make it worth the effort if you're up to it.
There is a special type of Raw Ebony, ID:
ingred_Dae_cursed_raw_ebony_01, which can be found as offerings in Daedric shrines. These are identical to standard Raw Ebony in appearance and effects, but they are cursed, and picking one up will cause you to be attacked by a Dremora Lord.
Raw Ebony is one of only two ingredients in vanilla Morrowind which can be used to create Restore Speed potions, the other ingredient being resin. The Tribunal expansion adds two other ingredients with this effect. However, combining Raw Ebony with its cursed variant leads to a potion containing all four effects of Raw Ebony.
- In real life, ebony is a type of hard, dark wood, traditionally used to make piano keys and other such items. This is in no way related to the ebony in the Elder Scrolls series, which is a volcanic glass. A closer real-world equivalent would be obsidian, though ebony's use in making armor and weapons suggest that it is far less brittle than obsidian.
Raw Ebony ore nodes may contain up to 8 units each, though they average around 4. They can be found in the following locations:
* Vassir-Didanat becomes unguarded once it is cleared of creatures and is plundered before reporting it to authorities.
Raw Ebony may also be found in chests and crates, usually in mines, smugglers ships, and shipwrecks. Each container yields 4 units of Raw Ebony, and can be found in the following locations:
Loose samples of Raw Ebony can be found in the following locations:
Cursed Raw Ebony can be found in the following locations:
Finally, two other abundant locations are added by official expansions and plugins:
- The Siege at Firemoth official plugin adds a large amount of Raw Ebony, both as ore and lying loose in the caves below the abandoned Fort Firemoth. Its isolation from the mainland is a logistical problem; Mark and Recall may help.
- The Raven Rock mine, added by the Bloodmoon expansion, is the single most abundant source of Raw Ebony in the game, yielding 50–200 Raw Ebony (not counting the quest-related pieces initially found in the area during the East Empire Company quest line. The mine is unguarded immediately after it is completed and its doors will open before additional quests send you into it.