While there are no level requirements for most of the quests, there are some which are more advantageous to do early, and some which are better to save until later on. Still it can be helpful to start other quests early and hold them off until later, and there are certain quests that conflict with each other if being performed at the same time. This page attempts to clarify some of these issues.
Quests to do Early
- Report to Caius Cosades
- You join the Blades, get access to the training and merchant facilities offered by other Blades members, and can get some free equipment to use or sell.
- All of the House Telvanni Mouth quests
- They aren't too difficult, and you can obtain a number of free spells plus some extremely handy magical items, like Gothren's Cephalopod Helm from the Mission to Nchuleft Quest and the Ring of Toxic Cloud from the Slave Rebellion Quest.
- Escort Tarvyn Faren
- Escorting this merchant from Vivec to Pelagiad shouldn't be taxing at any level, but you don't want him to charge off and fight any blighted creatures you meet on the way, and probably get himself killed.
- Boethiah's Quest
- You can obtain a rather good sword for a moderate amount of gold and very little fighting. However, it takes a few days for Boethiah's shrine to be built, so the sooner you can do this quest the better.
- Corprus Cure
- Yes, it takes a bit of work to get this far, but you become effectively immune to all diseases.
Quests to Save for Later
- Marsus Tullius' Missing Hides
- If you hold off doing this quest until after you've completed the Meet Sul-Matuul quest (part of the Main Quest), you can complete this quest without bloodshed, as the two 'thieves' will offer to give you the hides they stole.
- He's level 20 and rather powerful...
- The Angry Trader
- The training reward is most valuable when you have high levels of Mercantile and less valuable at lower levels.
Quests You Can Miss
- Ceramic Bowl
- This quest can only be picked up after completion of the quest Four Types of Flowers but before leaving the Mages Guild interior. Leaving the interior or advancing in guild rank during the quest will automatically skip over to Stolen Reports
Quests that Conflict
- The Code Book and the Thieves Guild questline
- If you complete The Code Book before joining the Thieves Guild, then you will not be allowed to join them. If you want to join both the Fighters and Thieves Guilds, first join the Fighters Guild, and when you get this quest, get Sottilde to give you the book. Then, before returning to Eydis Fire-Eye, talk to Sugar-Lips Habasi about membership for the Thieves Guild. Now that you're a member, they won't be so hostile towards you after turning the book over to Eydis.
- Huleen's Hut and A Potion from Skink-in-Tree's-Shade
- If you kill the scamp and then talk to Edwinna Elbert about Huleen's hut before completing A Potion from Skink-in-Tree's-Shade, Edwinna will next ask you to Return Chimarvamidium (even though you never stole it), and Skink-in-Tree's-Shade's quests will never be available to you, as he will always tell you he cannot give you duties until he finishes making the potion for Edwinna.
- The Brothers Ienith and Writ for Navil and Ranes Ienith
- If you execute the brothers for the Thieves Guild before you obtain the writ from the Morag Tong, the Morag Tong questgiver will be upset because you have killed them dishonorably without a writ (although all that happens is you lose the 2,000 gold reward). However, the Thieves Guild will not care if they are already dead. So if you plan to work for both factions, it's better to do the Morag Tong quest first, before you get to that quest for the Thieves Guild.
- Grandmaster and Threads of the Webspinner
- Becoming Grandmaster of the Morag Tong will prevent you from completing the Threads of the Webspinner quest if you haven't finished it yet.
- Slay Raxle Berne and the Berne Clan vampire quests
- Slaying Raxle Berne for the temple will prevent you from obtaining the Berne Clan vampire quests, and will also prevent you from completing any that are in progress.