Morrowind:Package for Caius Cosades/Decoded
This is the portion of the Package for Caius Cosades not included in the Decoded package. This document is the attachment referred to in the body of the letter, containing information for Caius Cosades on the Nerevarine Prophecy. The verse prophecy is known as The Stranger, and the commentary is found nowhere else in the game.
Raw Decoded Text
Raw version of the decoded text, with line breaks matching those in the coded document.
THE NEREVARINE PROPHECY
THIS MOST COMMON VERSE IS ONE COLLECTED FROM ASHLANDER TRIBESMEN OUR INCOMPLETE SOURCES SUGGEST THAT THE ASHLANDERS HAVE A STRONG TRADITION OF DREAMVISIONS AND PROPHECIES AND THAT AMONG THE ASHLANDERS THERE ARE MANY OTHER VERSE PROPHECIES CONCERING THE NEREVARINE
WHEN EARTH IS SUNDERED AND SKIES CHOKED BLACK
AND SLEEPERS SERVE THE SEVEN CURSES
TO THE HEARTH THERE COMES A STRANGER
JOURNEYED FAR NEATH MOON AND STAR
THOUGH STARKBORN TO SIRE UNCERTAIN
HIS ASPECT MARKS HIS CERTAIN FATE HIS CERTAIN ASPECT MARKS HIS FATE
WICKED STALK HIM RIGHTEOUS CURSE HIM
PROPHETS SPEAK BUT ALL DENY
MANY TRIALS MAKE MANIFEST
THE STRANGERS FATE THE CURSES BANE
MANY TOUCHSTONES TRY THE STRANGER
MANY FALL BUT ONE REMAINS
NOTES WITH LINE REFERENCES
PRESUMED TO REFER TO EARTHQUAKES AND ERUPTIONS OF RED MOUNTAIN ALSO KNOWN AS DAGOTH UR POSSIBLY REFERS TO THE BLIGHT A LOCAL PHENOMENON
SLEEPERS SEVEN CURSE REFERENCES ARE OBSCURE
THIS IS A COMMON TROPE FOR LONG TRAVEL BY DAY AND NIGHT BUT HERE ALSO SPECIFICALLY REFERS TO NEREVARS FAMILY CREST BORNE ON STANDARDS ARMOR AND WEAPONS
OBSCURE TAKEN HERE TO IMPLY SUPERNATURAL BIRTH OR AMBIGUOUS OR SECRET PARENTAGE OR BOTH STARKBORN MAY MEAN ORPHANED OR NAKED WITHOUT PARENTS
ASPECT REFERS HIS FATE AS FORETOLD IN THE STARS THE SUBJECTS HOROSCOPE MATCHES THE PARTICULARS OF THE PROPHECIES
CONVENTIONAL COMPLAINT OF PROPHETS NO ONE PAYS ANY ATTENTION TO US
PERHAPS BY OVERCOMING THE SEVEN CURSES THE STRANGER IDENTIFIES HIMSELF
The attachment with probable punctuation:
The Nerevarine Prophecy:
This most common verse is one collected from Ashlander tribesmen. Our incomplete sources suggest that the Ashlanders have a strong tradition of dream-visions and prophecies, and that, among the Ashlanders, there are many other verse prophecies concerning the Nerevarine.
- When earth is sundered, and skies choked black,
- And sleepers serve the seven curses,
- To the hearth there comes a stranger,
- Journeyed far 'neath moon and star.
- Though stark-born to sire uncertain,
- His aspect marks his certain fate. His certain aspect marks his fate.
- Wicked stalk him, righteous curse him.
- Prophets speak, but all deny.
- Many trials make manifest
- The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
- Many touchstones try the stranger.
- Many fall, but one remains.
Notes with Line References:
- Presumed to refer to earthquakes, and eruptions of Red Mountain, also known as Dagoth Ur. Possibly refers to the blight, a local phenomenon.
- Sleepers' seven curse references are obscure.
- This is a common trope for long travel, by day and night, but here also specifically refers to Nerevar's family crest, borne on standards, armor, and weapons.
- Obscure, taken here to imply supernatural birth, or ambiguous or secret parentage, or both. Stark-born may mean orphaned, or naked without parents.
- Aspect refers fate as foretold in the stars. The subject's horoscope matches the particulars of the prophecies.
- Conventional complaint of prophets: no one pays any attention to us.
- Perhaps by overcoming the seven curses, the stranger identifies himself.