|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Speak to Duke Vedam Dren to learn the steps to become Grandmaster.
- Travel to the Dren Plantation to win control of the Camonna Tong.
- Either persuade Orvas Dren, blackmail him, or kill him.
- Report back to Duke Vedam Dren.
In order to become Grandmaster of House Hlaalu, Duke Vedam Dren in the Grand Council Chamber in Ebonheart will tell you that you must win control of the Camonna Tong from his brother, Orvas Dren, in the Dren Plantation north of Vivec. An alternative is to kill Orvas, thus removing the Camonna Tong's influence from House Hlaalu: but Vedam will obviously not be pleased at this, since Orvas is his brother (although he will do no more than indicate his displeasure, and still give you the Grandmastership).
Persuading Orvas Dren
There are a number of ways to accomplish this, including killing him (which is possibly most difficult, as he is a high-level character). If you are persuasive enough, you can get Orvas to agree to give control of the syndicate to you - in this case his disposition towards you increases by ten. Alternatively, you can find an incriminating note in his basement and blackmail him into giving you control.
Return to Duke Vedam Dren in Ebonheart to complete the quest and be named Grandmaster of House Hlaalu.
- It is possible to become Grandmaster after becoming House Father, skipping Council Member completely. Do all of Nileno's quests in Balmora, all but the last of the quests for Helvi in Caldera, 2-3 of Edryno's, one of Ilmeni Dren's and both of the Duke's. You should skip Council Member and go directly to Grandmaster.
- You can also become Grandmaster anytime by killing Orvas Dren. Simply speak to the Duke about the Camonna Tong once Orvas is dead and he will promote you. However, take note that you will not be able to do any other quests from the Duke if you advance to Grandmaster.
- If you have already completed the Free Hides-His-Foot quest, you will know more about the location of the note.
- If you have already been named the hortator for House Hlaalu, you will automatically skip this quest and be named Grandmaster. Duke Vedam Dren will tell you that you clearly already have Orvas Dren's approval (since you needed it to become hortator). Note that if this happens while Orvas Dren is alive, the journal will incorrectly update to stage 110.
- If you look in the basement for the note, beware of the Ienith brothers who are equipped with glass daggers. One of them will not appear until after you attack the other. There is plenty of loot besides the note.
The following Quest_ID and Index codes can be used with the
Journal Console command to manually update the quest to a certain point.
|Dealing with Orvas Dren (HH_WinCamonna)
||Hides-His-Foot told me that Orvas Dren has a hidden room in his manor which has evidence that might persuade Orvas Dren. Nalvilie Saren has a key to this room.
||Duke Dren told me that I must win control of the Camonna Tong from his brother Orvas Dren before I can be the Grandmaster of House Hlaalu in anything other than name only.
||Orvas Dren agreed to step down in my favor.
||Duke Dren thanked me for sparing his brother's life and granted me the rank of Grandmaster in House Hlaalu.
||Duke Dren was disappointed that I killed Orvas Dren, but he agreed that it was necessary. I am now the Grandmaster of House Hlaalu.