|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Frald the White at Hawkmoth Legion Garrison in Ebonheart about orders and courtesy.
- (Optional) Visit Codus Callonus, the bookseller in Ald'ruhn and ask about The Red Book of Riddles.
- Go to Ghostgate and enter the Tower of Dusk Lower Levels and talk to Salyn Sarethi about courtesy.
- Return to Frald the White to complete the quest.
Frald the White at the Hawkmoth Legion Garrison in Ebonheart tells you to meet with the Buoyant Armiger Salyn Sarethi in a contest of wit, poetry and honor.
Defend the Honor of the Legion
Apparently Salyn has been saying that the Legion has no courtesy and it's up to you to defend its honor. When you meet with Salyn on the lower level of the Tower of Dusk in Ghostgate, he clarifies that he thinks the Imperial Legion has no courtesy, wit, poetry or honor. Ask about the riddle to learn more about the contest, which is a series of three riddles you must answer in rhyme. If your Intelligence is less than 50, however, Salyn will first recommend you pick up a copy of The Red Book of Riddles from the Ald'ruhn bookstore. At the bookstore Codus Callonus will give you a copy when you ask him about it. Alternatively, you can find copies of this book in many other places. The riddles are not particularly difficult and the correct answer is always the third choice. However, you must either have an Intelligence of at least 50 or have The Red Book of Riddles in your possession, or you will not be able to give the correct answers.
Report back to Frald
Report back to Frald for a copy of 2920, Second Seed, a Speechcraft skill book as well as a nice Faction, Reputation and Disposition increase. If you failed the riddle contest, you don't get the book, though the quest is still completed (just don't kill Salyn).
- If you killed Salyn Sarethi for any reason before you speak to Frald about "orders", he will say that you have "no courtesy", and will tell you to leave Ebonheart and never come back.
- If you lose the contest of wits, Frald isn't too disappointed because at least you accepted the challenge. You still receive five points of Legion reputation, along with a five point boost to Frald's disposition. Salyn Sarethi isn't so impressed: his disposition towards you drops by ten.
The following Quest_ID and Index codes can be used with the
Journal Console command to manually update the quest to a certain point.
||The Buoyant Armiger Salyn Sarethi in Ghostgate claims that we have no courtesy. Frald the White asked me to challenge Salyn Sarethi to a contest of wit, poetry, and honor.
||I won the duel of wit and poetry against Salyn Sarethi.
||I lost the duel of wit and poetry against Salyn Sarethi.
||Frald the White was pleased to hear that I won the duel of wit and poetry.
||Frald the White was disappointed to hear that I lost the challenge against Salyn Sarethi, but he thanked me for having the courage to meet the challenge.