Xivkyn are an intelligent race of Daedra who were created by (and swear fealty to) the Daedric Prince Molag Bal. They were created to serve as his personal guard, and are the product of experiments with vestigial hybridization between Dremora (or "Kyn") and Xivilai in the Vile Laboratory. They are fiercely loyal to Molag Bal, and were in charge of the Daedric occupation of the Imperial City during the Planemeld.
They appear as tall humanoid Daedra that possess blue-grey skin and ridged black horns that vary in length and curvature. Apart from the standard rack of horns, they may also have smaller horns on their forehead, crown, or chin. They also have sunken icy blue eyes resembling their master's, as well as tapered ears. They tend to tower over their Dremora subordinates.
Xivkyn are known to adhere to a strict uniform code, with guidelines laid out in accordance with the will of Molag Bal. Their weapons and armor are practical, but reflect the fearsome image Molag Bal would like a powerful servant of his to present. They are often fully covered in armor, leaving only their glowing eyes visible, instilling a fear of the unknown in mortals.
Xivkyn place great emphasis on loyalty, particularly towards Molag Bal, the "Dark Lord". The Xivkyn are like their progenitor in many ways, and share a good deal of his personal qualities. They possess boundless cruelty and take pleasure in the suffering of mortals. Xivkyn are obsessed with collecting soul gems, and are known to plot against one another in an effort to acquire more of them. These conflicts are commonplace, and rarely result in punishment from those of higher rank. The Xivkyn are arrogant, prideful and eager to please their master. If the opportunity to enhance one's reputation in the eyes of Molag Bal presents itself, they will gladly take it.
The Xivkyn maintain a strict code of military efficiency, and are known to be skilled in physical and magical combat arts. To this end, the Xivkyn fulfill plenty of roles in Coldharbour. Xivkyn Tormentors are knowledgeable in both Daedric and mortal anatomy. Tormentors use their endless lives studying innumerable methods of inflicting pain for the benefit of their master. Xivkyn Dreadguards serve as shock troops, and are devoid of the pedantic attitudes held by the Dremora. Xivkyn Augurs are exceptionally talented mages who share a mental link with the Lord of Brutality, and act as conduits for his dark visions. While notable, these examples are but three of many roles Xivkyn take beneath the banner of Molag Bal. There also exists a force of exceptionally powerful Xivkyn known as the Coldharbour Elite Guard. These individuals tend to bear banners during campaigns, and oversaw the portals to Coldharbour that were opened in the deepest depths of the Imperial City Sewers during the Planemeld. The Lord Warden of the Imperial City Prison was granted his own council of elite Xivkyn warriors.
Like many other Daedra, the Xivkyn detest all mortal races. However, they hold particular contempt for the Dremora, whom they view as lesser beings. This contempt was not mutual for some kyn; the Dremora Lyranth viewed the Xivkyn as potentially acceptable allies. Others believed the Xivkyn would replace them, and loathed their existence. Some went so far as to suggest that the Dremora should attempt to destroy the Xivkyn. Xivkyn officers are known to mistreat the Kyn under their command, and even held the Mindshriven Legion Zero in higher regard. They are also known to train Clannfear and Daedroths, and consider harvesters to be lacking in cunning. The term "Xivkyn" is heavily Cyrodilicized, referencing the Xivkyn's resemblance to the Dremora and Xivilai the race was "bred" from. They have several names for themselves, including the terms Stolavryk, Khimrykif, and Vyrsago. How the Xivkyn refer to themselves seems somewhat sporadic, as what they call themselves is said to "change depending on the hour".
- For game-specific information, see the ESO and Legends articles.
- For a list of Xivkyn names, see Xivkyn Names
- Crafting Motif 17: Xivkyn by Denogorath, Dread Archivist and Promulgator of Mandatory Doctrine — A guide to crafting armor and weapons in the Xivkyn style
- Crumpled Arena Flyer by Dredaza the Ringmaster — A Daedric flyer from the occupied Imperial City
- On the Xivkyn by Pelagius Habor, Council Daedrologist-in-Residence — A treatise on Molag Bal's elite vanguard
- Proper Torture Techniques by The Duchess of Anguish — Essays on effective torture methods
- Varieties of Daedra — Aranea Drethan
- Lyranth the Foolkiller Answers Your Questions — Lyranth the Foolkiller
- Physical appearance of Molag Bal and Xivkyn in ESO
- Crafting Motif 17: Xivkyn — Denogorath, Dread Archivist and Promulgator of Mandatory Doctrine
- Overheard Xivkyn and Dremora dialogue in ESO
- Skoref Bearblood's dialogue in ESO
- This is the End
- On the Xivkyn — Pelagius Habor, Council Daedrologist-in-Residence
- Interaction between Captain Regilus and Zolgar the Brutal during the events of ESO
- Xivkyn Tormentor Polymorph flavor text
- Xivkyn Dreadguard Polymorph flavor text
- Xivkyn Augur Polymorph flavor text
- Appearance of the Coldharbour Elite Guard in ESO
- Events of Summary Execution in ESO
- Hzu-Hakan's dialogue