The result of a failed experiment by a Telvanni mage, vvardvarks were passive creatures once found in the province of Morrowind, on the island of Vvardenfell. They were a magical hybrid that possessed scales, fur, and a long tongue with sharp teeth to its sides, with their diet consisting of small insects. Despite their recorded unpleasant scent, the species was domesticated as pets. Other uses for this chimeric creature were found, the vvardvark's long tongue was used as fastenings due to their elastic qualities, while the Ashlanders used their hard shells for armor.
From the original experiment, several different breeds were recorded to have existed. The most common being the tan-colored breed known as the Demotic Vvardvark. Other varieties had more striking coloration; notably the Dozen-banded Vvardvark, with its vibrant tan and black striped pattern on its scales. Another variety, the Tuxedo Vvardvark, was reported to have scale patterns which resembled the plumage of the Chub Loon, and were theorized to have been bred to hide among the flightless avians.
- The Vvardvark Experiment — Magister Varkenel, Telvanni Mage
- Vvardenfell Flora and Fauna — Tilenra Sildreth, Telvanni Naturalist
- Vvardvark Tongue Laces item description
- Crafting Motif 48, Ashlander — Sannemmu Khamishi, Wise Woman of the Erabenimsun Tribe
- Vvardvark pet description in ESO
- Dozen-Banded Vvardvark pet description in ESO
- Tuxedo Vvardvark pet description in ESO
- Vvardenfell Then and Now on the official ESO website