|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
|This page or parts of this page were previously transcluded to other pages per this discussion.
This page should be checked for potential unrelated lore and other information. Please remove this banner when the page has been cleaned up.
|Type||Body of Water|
|Appears in||Oblivion, ESO|
Topal Bay (also known as Topal Sea) is a large, placid body of water south of Tamriel. It is enclosed by the provinces of Elsweyr, Black Marsh, and Cyrodiil. In Cyrodiil, the city of Leyawiin and the Blackwood region lie on Topal Bay, at the delta of the Niben River. The bay's western shores are defined by Elsweyr's Quin'rawl Peninsula, where a great deal of smuggling occurs. Tideholm is a known island of the Bay.
The bay is named after Topal the Pilot, the Aldmer explorer who discovered the Niben River and charted Tamriel's sea lanes. The bay's coastline to the east with Black Marsh has long been notorious for rampant piracy. The bay also flows into the Onkobra River, which supposedly leads right into the heart of Black Marsh. The Khajiit believe that moon sugar is "crystallized moonlight" caught by the waters of the bay and brought to the sugarcane groves of the Tenmar Forest by the tidal forces of Masser and Secunda. The access the bay allows to the Imperial City and many other settlements makes it of vital strategic importance, and the Aldmeri Dominion has been known to threaten the bay with their navy many times throughout history.
- For game-specific information, see the Oblivion article.
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Cyrodiil — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Guide to Leyawiin — Alessia Ottus
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: The Elsweyr Confederacy — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Father Of The Niben — Florin Jaliil
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The War with the Trees: Argonia and the Black Marsh — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Argonian Account, Book 3 — Waughin Jarth
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Aldmeri Dominion — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- The Great War — Legate Justianus Quintius