Lore:Knights of the Dragon
This article is about the knightly order. For the general class of warriors, see Dragon Knights.
—Oath of the Knightly Order, "Knights of the Dragon"
The Knights of the Dragon (also called the Knights of Daggerfall) is the knightly order of the Kingdom of Daggerfall, in the province of High Rock. The Knights serve the purpose of protecting the royal family of Daggerfall, as well as their domain. The highest rank in the Knights of the Dragon is the Paladin. Like many other knightly orders in the Iliac Bay, there is a set of skills required to elevate one's rank in the faction. Among these include the Long Blade, the Dragonish language, Archery and Medical knowledge.
The Knights of the Dragon can date their origins to sometime around 1E 500, when the early Bretons liberated themselves from the Direnni Hegemony, and established what later became known as the province of High Rock. Other petty kingdoms and duchies created their own knightly order, and the Knights of the Dragon became Daggerfall's militia. This continued all the way into modern times.
The Knights of the Dragon, under the command of Lord Trystan, was present in the thirty-year long Siege of Orsinium. King Joile of Daggerfall had launched an invasion against the Kingdom of the Orcs, the First Orsinium. Lord Trystan was friends with Gaiden Shinji, champion of the Redguards. The Knights of the Dragon held vast respect for the Order of Diagna. When General Mercedene had interrupted a duel between Gaiden Shinji, and Baloth Bloodtusk, Commander Reliana confronted Mercedene and defeat her in battle, avenging the duel. The Siege of Orsinium ended in 1E 980.
Several years later, in 2E 542, Durcorach the Black Drake invaded the province of High Rock, and make his way towards Daggerfall following a failed siege against Wayrest. King Bergamot led his forces, consisting of the Knights of the Dragon, to face the Reachmen. When Earl Emeric had arrived with reinforcements, Durcorach was slain. The Kingdom of Daggerfall was brought into the first Daggerfall Covenant. When the Three Banners War began in 2E 582, the Knights of the Dragon became a separate militia from the Covenant, per the request of King Casimir Deleyn. But the Knights of the Dragon later took part in the defense for Glenumbra against the Bloodthorn Cult.
Many years later in 3E 402, the Knights of the Dragon were under the command of Lord Bridwell. Lord Bridwell was intensely devoted to the royal family, and the King of Daggerfall, Lysandus. Lord Bridwell served as the Captain of Daggerfall's army during the War of Betony, paving the way for victory at the Battle of the Bluffs, and the Siege of Craghold. Lord Bridwell returned as a war hero. By 3E 405, Lord Bridwell continued to control the Knights, and serve as a member of the Court of Daggerfall. Mobar was the second-in-command of the Knights of the Dragon. However, Mobar had been questioning the royal family and has considered creating a conflict and revolting.
- The Knightly Orders of High Rock by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth — A description of Breton knights
- Knights of the Dragon — A notice to potential recruits of the Knights of the Dragon
- Triumphs of a Monarch, Ch. 3 — His Majesty King Emeric
- Knightly Order overview in Daggerfall
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: High Rock — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- The Knightly Orders of High Rock — Lady Cinnabar of Taneth
- Lord Trystan's dialogue in ESO: Orsinium
- The Ashes of Our Fathers quest in ESO: Orsinium
- Wayrest, Jewel of the Bay — Sathyr Longleat the Elder
- Chamberlain Croix's dialogue in ESO
- The Labyrinth quest in ESO
- Newgate's War Of Betony — Vulper Newgate
- Knights of the Dragon faction in Daggerfall
- The Daggerfall Chronicles — Ronald Wartow