Lore:Isle of Balfiera
|Isle of Balfiera|
|Appears in||Daggerfall, ESO|
The Isle of Balfiera (also called Balfiera Island) is an island region within the northern portion of Iliac Bay. The name Balfiera translates to "Island of Stone" from Aldmeris. In the late Third Era, the largest settlement was the town of Upvale, the dominant vampire bloodline was Lyrezi, and the regional deity was Akatosh. It is a tropical region containing beaches and palm trees.
Balfiera was known as a neutral meeting place for the kingdoms of High Rock, who used it to facilitate negotiations and treaties. However, the isle is most renowned as the site of the Direnni Tower, formerly the Adamantine Tower, the oldest known structure in Tamriel. Legends say it was constructed on the "little island" by the gods themselves so they could hold their own negotiations. The title for the ruler of the isle is the Castellan of Balfiera, derived from the title originally used for the commander of the tower. The isle was an independent, unconquered territory before the events of the Warp in the West, after which it fell under the dominion of one of the four surviving kingdoms of the Iliac Bay region.
Archaeological study of the Adamantine Tower on the Isle of Balfiera has dated its construction to around ME 2500, the earliest known date in Aldmeri and Nordic history, making it the oldest known structure in Tamriel.
After the downfall of the Direnni Hegmony around 1E 500, the Direnni retreated to the isle. In 1E 907, Peregrine Direnni repelled an attempted invasion and drove an entire Ra Gada flotilla back to Sentinel by using her sorcery to manipulate the waves of the Iliac Bay. At some point between 1E 1100 and the end of the First Era, the island formed the League of Unrest when it allied with Daggerfall and Wayrest against the Cyrodiils.
The island came into the hands of the Direnni Clan in the early First Era when Ryain Direnni bought the Isle of Balfiera. The mother of Pelagius the Mad, Utheilla, was of the Direnni blood and brought Pelagius and his siblings here as she fled from the assault brought upon Wayrest by Uriel III and Queen Potema of Solitude. Shortly before the Warp in the West, the island was ruled by Medora Direnni.
- Before the Ages of Man — Aicantar of
- Events of Daggerfall
- Appearance in ESO
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: High Rock — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: All the Eras of Man, A Comprehensive History of our History — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Warp in the West — Ulvius Tero
- Tower of Adamant — Hrerm House-builder, Bards College, Solitude
- Rislav The Righteous — Sinjin
- The Bretons: Mongrels or Paragons? — Phrastus of Elinhir
- Once — Beredalmo the Signifier
- Wayrest, Jewel of the Bay — Sathyr Longleat the Elder
- Maiko's dialogue in TESA: Redguard
- The Madness of Pelagius — Tsathenes