- "The rash actions of those who sit the Ruby Throne, or who pull their strings, have brought Tamriel to the verge of irretrievable doom. They must be scoured from the face of Cyrodiil, and the decaying remains of the Empire of Men must be swept away. It shall be replaced by the Pact, which will enforce peace across the continent and strictly regulate all involvement in dangerous magical pursuits." — Alla Lalleth
The Ebonheart Pact was a military alliance between the Great Houses Dres, Hlaalu, Indoril, and Redoran of Morrowind, the Kingdom of Eastern Skyrim, and the tribes of Murkmire, Shadowfen, and Thornmarsh in Black Marsh during the chaotic Interregnum of the Second Era. It vied with the Aldmeri Dominion and Daggerfall Covenant for control over the contested Ruby Throne in Cyrodiil. It was a creation of unlikely allies, who had long histories of strife between them, but united for mutual defense, first against Akaviri invaders and later against the Daedric cultists of Molag Bal in Cyrodiil. They aimed to wipe away the rash rule of the Empire and end once and for all mortals' entanglements with higher power from beyond Nirn. The Pact was led by Jorunn the Skald-King, who headed the Great Moot, as well as the three living gods of the Dunmer.
The Pact arose out of the Second Akaviri Invasion in 2E 572. The force under the command of Ada'Soom Dir-Kamal landed just north of Windhelm, taking the city completely by surprise. The city was sacked and Queen Mabjaarn and her heir Nurnhilde were slain, leaving the crown to her younger son, Jorunn. He rallied a desperate defense, but the Akaviri army bypassed him, marching instead into eastern Morrowind, where they were met by Dunmeri forces under Almalexia. In an unprecedented show of cooperation between races with a great deal of historical enmity, Jorunn and Almalexia worked together to encircle Dir-Kamal's forces in Stonefalls. It was a close-fought engagement until the surprise arrival of Argonian reinforcements, who helped drive the invaders back into the sea, ending their threat to Tamriel.
This allegiance forged in battle was ratified with treaties signed in Ebonheart, resulting in the manumission of Argonians enslaved by the Dunmer as thanks for their crucial intervention. The Pact struggled to reconcile the desires of three such distinct factions, but was able to stay strong for over a decade due to the need for mutual defense and the camaraderie of brothers-in-arms. Eventually, the Tribunal became aware of dark happenings in Cyrodiil, and called upon its allies to mount a righteous war against the corrupt and disintegrating Empire.
During its existence, it successfully overcame an invasion by the Daggerfall Covenant, through summoning the former Chimer warriors, the Brothers of Strife. It faced trouble in the form of Maulborn and Stormfist uprisings in Deshaan and Eastmarch respecitvely. Shadowfen was attacked by the Aldmeri Dominion, and the Rift was attacked by Reachmen and the Worm Cult. However, the Pact managed to deal with all these threats.
- For game-specific information, see the Online article.
- Guide to the Ebonheart Pact — A history and overview of the Pact
- The Time of the Ebonheart Pact by Alla Lalleth — An essay on the downfall of mankind and a rallying call to take Cyrodiil
- Unexpected Allies — Commentary on the Ebonheart Pact by a Nord soldier
- The Time of the Ebonheart Pact — Alla Lalleth
- The Second Akaviri Invasion — Yngmaer Raven-Quill, Historian Royal of the Bards' College, Solitude
- Jorunn the Skald-King — Helgreir Lute-Voice, Bard of Windhelm
- Unexpected Allies
- Guide to the Ebonheart Pact
- Breaking the Cycle of Tyranny — Alla Llaleth
- Events of ESO