|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
|Appears in||Daggerfall, ESO|
The Alik'r, best known as the Alik'r Desert, is a large region which forms the heart of Hammerfell. In truth, the distinction between the Alik'r's shifting sands and the kingdoms of Hammerfell is hazy; travelers in the vast desert report never being entirely sure which kingdom they may be in. An enormous red mist seems to rise up from the sand in the mornings, though it disappears again well before noon. Major cities of the region include Sentinel in the northwest, the port city of Tava's Blessing in the north, Satakalaam and Kozanset in the east, as well as Bergama in the south.
In the late Third Era, before the Warp in the West, the name was used specifically to refer to the unconquered territory in the desert centered around the city of Alik'ra. This region bordered almost every other region in northwestern Hammerfell, from Abibon-Gora to the Dragontail Mountains, and completely surrounded the province of Bergama. The Anthotis clan was the predominant vampire bloodline in the region.
The constant battle for survival in the Alik'r has been called a "holy war" for the Redguards. Satakal, the Yokudan god of everything, is a popular deity among the desert's nomads. The winds and sands of the Alik'r are said to possess a magic all their own.
Many Dwemer ruins lie under its sand, as does a stronghold of the Blades, Wind Scour Temple. The Lost City of the Na-Totambu is also hidden somewhere in the wastes. During the Warp in the West, there were reports of a large, spontaneous sandstorm, and the region ultimately came under the rule of Sentinel. At the beginning of the Great War in 4E 171, the Imperial legions in southern Hammerfell, overwhelmed by the sudden onslaught of the Aldmeri Dominion, were forced to retreat across the Alik'r in the now-famous March of Thirst.
The broader Iliac Bay region, with the Alik'r Desert at the southern edge
Concept art of the Alik'r Desert in Elder Scrolls Online
- The Alik'r by Enric Milres — A description of time spent in the Alik'r Desert
- Alik'r Survival for Outsiders — Advice for traveling through the Alik'r Desert
- Inscription found in ruins of an ancient shelter for travelers — Reassurance to travelers in the Alik'r Desert
- Wind and Sand by Afa-Saryat — A treatise on the sands of the Alik'r Desert, and their relationship to magic
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Hammerfell — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- The Alik'r — Enric Milres
- Events of ESO
- The Warp in the West — Ulvius Tero
- Map of Iliac Bay
- Events of Daggerfall
- Varieties of Faith... — Brother Mikhael Karkuxor of the Imperial College
- Wind and Sand — Afa-Saryat
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Ra Gada: Hammerfell — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Rise and Fall of the Blades — Anonymous
- The Great War — Legate Justianus Quintius