- Talk to the quest giver at a Thieves Guild hall.
- Head to the town where the book can be found.
- Enter the building named by the quest giver.
- Find and pick up the book you have come for.
- Make your escape.
- Return to the quest giver within the time limit and collect your reward.
The Book Job
Speak to a quest giver, who says:
- "I have a job. Ordinary guild work. Worth (random gold) gold. Just the standard guild fee. Interested?"
The quest giver goes on:
- "Go to (town). Find (building). Inside is a rare book, entitled (book title). Bring it back to me within (time limit) days, and I'll pay you. Simple enough, eh?"
The quest giver answers:
- "Too bad for you, (player's name)."
Nicking the Novel
Head to the town where the book can be found and enter the building. If it is a shop and you enter during business hours you don't even have to pick the door's lock. There may be some guards waiting for you. Find the book within and grab it. Upon leaving the building, there may be a guard waiting for you at the entrance door, either a battlemage, an iron atronach, a daedra seducer or a werewolf. Kill the guard and return to the quest giver.
Upon returning the book to the quest giver, he will say:
- "Ah. (Oath). Here is your guild fee. Maybe some day we can work together again."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables.)
Any of the following:
- Battlemage (10% chance)
- Iron Atronach (10% chance)
- Daedra Seducer (10% chance)
- Werewolf (10% chance)
- If you keep the book, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, as is usually the case for quest items.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "A collector in (town) just bought a rare copy of (book title)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The security in (building) wasn't great, so they moved the valuables out."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "That copy of (book title) that was stolen from (building) was irreplaceable."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Oh, hello, (player's first name). Good work on getting that book, if I didn't mention it before."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "Don't fumble for excuses, (player's first name). I told you where to find the book and told you to hurry, but you didn't. Now it's too late, and I'm tired. Just, be a good (player's race) and sod off, will you?"
|Valuable Pages (o0b2xy04)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): A Thieves Guild member in (guild town) offered me a job to steal a book, (book title) from (building) in (town). I have (time limit) days to get it and return to (quest giver's name).|