Daggerfall: Molag Bal's Quest
- Summon Molag Bal on the 20th of Evening Star.
- Head to the dungeon named by Molag Bal.
- Find and kill the mage within.
- Travel to the regional tavern where Molag Bal's servant awaits.
- Meet his worshipper there within the time limit and receive the Mace of Molag Bal.
Molag Bal speaks to you:
- "So you want power, (player's name). Power is a far more tangible quantity than wisdom, don't you agree? Now then, in order for us to judge your worth, we have a bit of toil for you to undertake. Nothing unpleasant, of course. You may rather enjoy it. A simple assassination, for which you will be rewarded with The Mace of Molag Bal. Then we can see if you're ready for real power. Does this sound agreeable?"
Molag Bal goes on:
- "We thought it would appeal to you. Now, listen carefully: your target is a Mage named (mage's name). This infernal sparkcaster has been invoking our name, drawing on our power, without a contract. Perhaps this is due to ignorance, but we cannot be merciful. Look for the mage in (his/her) laboratory, (dungeon) and destroy (him/her). Then, before (time limit) days have passed, meet our agent, (worshipper's name), a (worshipper's description), in (regional tavern) at a place called (tavern). There (he/she) will give you The Mace of Molag Bal. Do not tarry, time is short. We will be watching. Do not fail."
Molag Bal speaks, disappointed:
- "You have wasted our time. We are not pleased."
Slaying the Power Thief
Travel to the dungeon named by the Daedra Prince and enter it. Once inside, find and kill the mage. There may be several enemies of the same type within, but you must slay the specified target in order to successfully complete the quest. When the mage in question dies, you receive a notification:
- "(Mage's name) is dead. You have fulfilled your contract with Molag Bal. Now to collect your reward."
However, you must be quick. The mage will vanish after three in-game minutes if still alive, with the following message:
- "(Mage's name) lifts his staff and disappears in a thunderclap."
If this happens, search the area for a note and read it:
- A map showing the location of (second dungeon) marked with the notation, "Remind (minion's name) to lay in supplies. Indications that Molag Bal has detected me."
Travel to this new dungeon, find the mage again and kill him or her for good. Once the target is dead, travel to the regional tavern named by Molag Bal and meet his worshipper there for your reward.
Speak to Molag Bal's worshipper after the mage is dead to hear:
- "Hello, (player's first name). You made it. Molag Bal sends his compliments. And, of course, The Mace of Molag Bal. Enjoy it and fare thee well."
If you successfully complete the Daedra Prince's task and receive the artifact, you will gain reputation according to the table below.
|Summoner's associated factions||+2|
If you fail the quest, you will lose reputation according to the table below.
|Summoner's associated factions||-1|
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: One Mage
If you ask an NPC about Molag Bal's worshipper, you may hear:
- "Some weird-acting (worshipper's description) was in (regional tavern), (direction) of here."
- "A (worshipper's' description) by that name was in (regional tavern), (direction) of here, fairly recently."
If you ask an NPC about the Mace of Molag Bal, you may be told:
- "The Mace of Molag Bal steals magicka from its victims."
- "The Mace of Molag Bal, or the Vampire's Mace to the layman, is a conduit for magical energy to flow into the bearer."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Everyone's whispering about the experiments going on in (dungeon)."
- "There's some weird stuff going on in that (dungeon) to the (direction)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "That bright red star is said to be the anger of the daedra Molag Bal."
- "There was a crazy (worshipper's description) running around here screaming about contracts."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Real quiet around (dungeon) lately."
- "There was a lot of excitement around (dungeon), but it's all calmed down."
|Molag Bal's Quest (20c00y00)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): The Daedra Prince Molag Bal has sent me to kill a spellcaster of some kind in dungeon (dungeon). If the mage is dead within (time limit) days and I meet with his associate (worshipper's name) in (regional tavern) at a place called (tavern), I will be given The Mace of Molag Bal.|