Daggerfall:Business with Orcs
- Talk to a noble.
- Kill the first orc sergeant you encounter.
- Choose whether you want to travel to the orcs' or the noble's contact.
- Travel to the town where the orcs' contact can be found or travel to the town where the noble's contact is waiting.
- Meet either of the contacts and hand over the orcs' jewelry.
- Collect your reward, if you gave the orcs' item to the noble's contact within the time limit.
Speak to a noble, who says:
- "Ah, (player's first name), I am glad you're here. If you are available for hire, I am looking for someone to purvey a special (orcs' jewelry) to an acquaintance of mine. The reward, I think, you will find to be extremely liberal, to compensate for the danger of the mission. Are you interested?"
The noble goes on:
- "Excellent. Here's the (orcs' jewelry). Now, (contact's name) needs to have it in (town) in (time limit) days. That ought to be plenty of time, I hope. (Contact's name) will be easy to find -- just look for a (contact's description) at (building). By the way, you may encounter some orcs who do not want this shipment made. I trust you know how to deal with their kind. Good luck."
The noble answers:
- "Really? Too busy, perhaps. That is a shame."
Running the Gauntlet
As soon as you leave town, orc warriors will be on your heels. After killing the first orc sergeant, the following message pops up:
- As the orc crumples to the ground, it gasps in a barely comprehensible accent, "(Orcs' contact) ... go ... (Orcs' contact) ..."
As soon as you have shaken off the orcs, choose whether or not you want to meet the orcs' contact. If you want to do so, ask around until you know the town where you can find them. Travel to that town and ask around in town until you have their location. Meet and speak to the contact, who will say:
- "I'm glad you sought me out, (player's name). You should know that the (orcs' jewelry) you are carrying was stolen from Orsinium, the ancient capital of the orcs. (Noble's name), like most people, treats orcs as beneath contempt, hence they are forced to resort to violence to recover their stolen property. However, I hope that you are more enlightened than your employer. If you give me the (orcs' jewelry), I will see that it is returned to its rightful owners."
You are prompted with Do you give the (orcs' jewelry)?
If you answer yes, the orcs' contact says:
- "I'm glad I was right about you. Thank you, (player's first name). We will not forget this."
Say no, and the contact replies:
- "That is most regrettable. Well, we all have our reasons. I hope you can live with this decision."
If you don't want to hand it over, travel to the town where the noble's contact is waiting; the orcs will continue to pursue you. Meet the noble's contact and hand over the orcs' jewelry. Collect your reward, which will be a ruby.
When you deliver the orcs' jewelry, the noble's contact will say:
- "Ah, good to see you (player's first name). And the (orcs' jewelry) too. Excellent. Here's a little trinket for your trouble. I hope you like red. Take care of yourself."
If you give the jewelry to the noble's contact the quest will be a success.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Noble you got the quest from||+5|
|Noble's associated factions||+2|
If you don't deliver the orcs' jewelry in time to the noble's contact, you will lose reputation as shown in the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
If you give the jewelry to the orcs' contact:
|Orsinium's associated factions||+15|
However, since you will no longer be able to successfully complete the quest, the -1 Reputation loss to Orsinium and its associated factions from failing the quest must also be taken into account.
If you refuse the orcs' contact's offer:
|Orsinium's associated factions||-5|
- 12x Three Orcs every five in-game minutes (35% chance) until the jewelry is brought to the orcs' contact
- 12x One Orc Sergeant every ten in-game minutes (35% chance) until the jewelry is brought to the orcs' contact
- If you keep the orcs' jewelry, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, unlike most quest items.
If you ask an NPC about the noble who gave you the quest, you may hear:
- "(Noble's name) will deny it, but they say (he/she)'s in the smuggling business."
- "(Noble's name) is said to be involved in a smuggling ring, bringing in loot plundered out of old Orsinium."
If you ask an NPC about the orc's contact:
- "You don't want to have anything to do with that orc-lover from (second town)."
- "(Orcs' contact) of (second town)? They say (he/she) actually talks to orcs."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Noble's name) is still in the smuggling business, I hear."
- "I hear the guards chased off a couple of orcs last night. I wonder what would bring them into town?"
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Someone found a very lovely (orcs' jewelry) around here recently."
- "I hear (noble's name) is mad as hell at some (player's race) adventurer."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Some (contact's description) was just here, waving around some (orcs' jewelry)."
- "Some jewelry store has reported the theft of a big ruby, I hear."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "I hear that your mission was a success, (player's first name). That's good. Very good."
- "I was pleased to hear of the success of the delivery. What can I do for you?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "You're the courier who couldn't complete the delivery, yes? Wouldn't I be a fool to waste my breath on you again? That's a rhetorical question, by the way."
|Business with Orcs (r0c20y22)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Noble's name) has hired me to deliver a (orcs' jewelry) to someone in (town) named (contact's name). (He/She) will meet me at (building) in (time limit) days to reward me if I have not already been minced by the orcs who are also after the (orcs' jewelry).|