Daggerfall:An Item on Loan
- Talk to a noble.
- Travel to the town named by the noble.
- Visit the temple and talk to the priestess.
- Travel to the town named by the priestess.
- Meet your contact there and give him/her the gem within the time limit.
Speak to a noble, who says:
- "Are you free for a few days to do me a little favor, (player's first name)? I just need something I borrowed brought back to its owner. Nothing too strenuous, and you'll be (random gold) gold pieces richer. A tempting offer, eh?"
The noble goes on:
- "(Oath), that's the spirit! I have this (religious item) I borrowed from my good friend (priestess' name), a priest in (temple) of (first town). It's somewhat of a rush to get it back to her -- she needs it in (first time limit) days. So please do hurry. Thank you for this, (player's first name).
The noble answers:
- "That's too bad. Well, I'll just hire someone else then."
Returning the Item
Travel to the town mentioned by the noble and visit the priestess in the local temple. Give her the item you got from the noble and she will say:
- "Oh good, my (religious item)'s back. Thank you, (player's first name). But there seems to be something stuck in it. Oh, I see ... this stone. Would you be good enough to bring this pebble over to (noble's name)'s friend, (noble's friend's name), over at (building) in (second town)? I believe (he/she) has your gold, but you better hurry. (Noble's friend's name) runs out of patience if (he/she) has to wait longer than (second time limit) days."
Travel with that new item to the noble's friend in the second town. On your way to the noble's friend you may run into some rogues trying to get the gem from you. Hit one and the rogue will say:
- "Here in (region name). only the Thieves Guild is allowed to smuggle. I guess (noble's name) thought (he/she) was above the rules, (he/she) was wrong. You're going to give me that (gem), and (noble's name) is going to learn not to cross the Thieves Guild. Do it, or I'll kill you."
If you hand it over, the rogue says:
- "You tell everyone you know not to mess with the Thieves Guild. Now get out of here."
If you hand the item over, naturally you cannot complete the quest successfully. Fight or flee, and make your way to the second town. Once there, ask around until you know your contact's whereabouts. Meet the friend and hand over the gem you got from the priestess. Collect your reward afterwards.
Visit the noble's friend and deliver the gem. They will say:
- "Ah, good. The (gem) is as exquisite as I'd been told. Fine work, (player's first name). Here's your (random gold) gold for your speed and silence."
If the quest was successful:
|Noble you got the quest from||+5|
|Noble's associated factions||+2|
|Thieves Guild associated factions||-10|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
- 5x One Rogue every one in-game minutes (20% chance) after you got the gem from the priestess
- If you keep either of the items, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, unlike most quest items.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "There's been lots of traffic to and from (temple). Wonder what's going on."
- "(Priestess' name) has been looking for (his/her) (religious item), but I didn't even know (he/she) liked those things."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I wonder how long (temple) has been used as a smuggling station. It's a scandal."
- "They were smuggling gems in (religious item)s. It seems so obvious now, don't you think?"
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Funny. I know there was a shipment of (religious item)s to (temple) but they didn't seem right."
- "(Second town) is said to be a hotbed of (gem) smuggling. Must be well-disguised."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Look who's back. You understand I couldn't tell you about the gem, don't you?"
- "Well, if it isn't (player's first name). Great job with that gem smuggling business, my friend."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "That was no small quest you failed, (player's first name). Maybe I can forgive you in time. Maybe."
|An Item on Loan (r0c10y18)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Noble's name) of (noble's town) has sent me to bring a (religious item) to a priest in (first town), a certain (priestess' description) named (priestess' name) I'll find in (temple) if I get there in (first time limit) days or less.|
|1||(Date): There was a (gem) hidden in the (religious item). For the (random gold) gold I was promised, I have to deliver the (gem) to a third party in (second town), (noble's friend's name) of (building). I have (second time limit) days to accomplish this.|