I've been trying to figure out the copyright status of the new quest walkthroughs (Battlespire:Level 1, Battlespire:Level 2, Battlespire:Level 2a, and Battlespire:Level 3) that have been added to this page. The new content has obviously all been copied from a walkthrough originally written by "brusseau", which is available (at least for level 1) on several web sites, for example:
The person listed as the author of those walkthroughs is "brusseau", and it seems like perhaps the first link (thecomputershow.com) is the original source (it's the only place that contains more than just the level one walkthrough). However, the email address on that page for brusseau is no longer valid, and the link for the zip file (presumably containing the maps that were uploaded to UESP) no longer works. I can't see anything that appears to be a copyright statement that applies to this content.
In general, I'm reluctant to have information added to the site that is just copied verbatim from somewhere else. But in this case, it seems like there isn't a legal copyright issue, some of the information has already been fairly widely distributed, the only identifiable author cannot be contacted, and other parts of the information are at risk of becoming completely unavailable (i.e., the zip file can't be accessed any more). So adding the information to UESP may be the best way to maintain it and make it available to the community.
- YessMasster: I have copied it because i noticed it was missing. The list of topics is just as it was on old UESP, so I assumed it'd be right to bring the rest of the walkthrough. I have not contacted original author, nor did I know anything about copyrights. If copying it violated copyrights, please delete what i copied. — Unsigned comment by YessMasster (talk • contribs) at 20:36 on 22 April 2007 (UTC)
- Aha, good point... I hadn't checked the old UESP site. And indeed all of this info was on the old UESP site, e.g., level 1. So I'll take that to mean that at some point in the past Daveh or someone else got permission to post the info on UESP. In which case, thanks for transferring the info over to the wiki :) Feel free to transfer any other articles you find on the old site that haven't been brought over yet. And sorry for bugging you to get the details! --NepheleTalk 17:12, 22 April 2007 (EDT)
- YessMasster: No problem, I don't wanna violate copyrights or any laws, and it's your job to find anything that may be violating those. I will transfer all of the Battlespire walkthrough and possibly edit it so it would look readable when I find some free time. Good day. — Unsigned comment by YessMasster (talk • contribs) at 12:15 on 23 April 2007 (UTC)
What should Level 2 be called?
Currently we have at least three different names being used on different pages, it's a confusing mess. I think these are the sources:
- In the files it's called Caitiff for some reason
- In this letter it's called both the High Halls and Librarium and the Colleges
- In the Athenaeum it's called Administration, Labs and Library