UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Using the console with foreign keyboard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
Hi everyone,

I ran into a slight problem in Morrowind with the seven graces quest. I finished all its parts, yet quest givers keep saying that I haven't finished, which is weired. Although I'm not sure what caused it, I tought I could use the consolde code to terminate my pilgrimage, but I cannot find how to do the underscore used with my french (azerty) keyboard. I searched high and low on the internet, and don't seem to find any kind of solution, except maybe modyfing the language of the game in the ini file - which I'm not sure will help as I have the UK Morrowind disc.

So, I thought I'd ask here, does anyone know what I can do to type underscore _ once in the console (which automatically sets my keyboard to a US keyboard, but, as I said, I cannot fathom where that key's supposed to be!) - thank you !

Post subject: Re: Using the console with foreign keyboard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:50 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 2
How did you just now type it in this post? I'm going to assume your gaming rig is not what you're viewing the site with, but a workaround may be to copy/paste the character from another document on your computer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:28 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
In normal windows I can type it with my 8 key on the azerty keyboard - not the 8 in the numerical pad, but the 8 on the top row, just under the F keys. This is true both on my normal pc and on the other one on which I have Morrowind installed.

The issue is that when I go into morrowind, the game sets as if i had a querty, which isn't the case. So, when i click on the 8... I get an 8, not _ and I cannot find a way to either make the game use azerty (which would be the best solution since I wouldn't have to remember which keys on azerty produce which querty characters/ letters) or, which key or keys I need to use to get that underscore to actually appear. I clicked on all the letters and I never manage to get Morrowind console to display it, thus I cannot force the game to recognise that I did finish my quest and move on to the next, which is pretty annoying, seen I have no idea why the quest isn't registered, I even did each of its parts twice, and it still won't work, so, if I had a way to type undersore, I'd use the code to tell the game that I'm done with this quest.

I searched a bit everywhere, but the solution eludes me. At best, I found a french forum where someone said to a similar problem (not for underscore, it was for the arrow key I believe) to modify morrowind.ini from english to french. However, I don't know if that'll solve my issue, seen they have the french edition of the game (hence its contents are in french) and I have the UK one (content in english) and I'm afraid to try this solution and mess my game, so I thought I'd ask here first for ideas as I know many people are more knowledgeable than me on such issues.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
on a qwerty keyboard the _ is on the button right after the zero on the top row of numbers, below the F keys. you have to press shift and the button, or you get - instead of _ . if your keyboard has a button after the 0, try pressing shift and that button. I have never seen the kind of keyboard you have, so I don't know if it has a button there or not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:56 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
that helped a lot spin, thank you very much.
I found out that to use that key next to the 0 I had to also click on SHIFT. I usually use the left one, but in Morrowind, it's set to display my spell list, so whenever I'd click on it to try shift keys, I'd toggle display for the spells and nothing else happened, which is why I couldn't find that underscore. However, since the right shift wasn't assigned to anything in Morrowind, that and the ° key on my azerty keyboard made the so wanted underscore and thus helped me to progress on my quest. Thank you !