UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Faction, Guilds & Houses - I'm confused
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:21 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
Just recently tried Morrowind, after logging untold hours lost to the world on Oblivion & Skyrim, and am really hugely impressed after modding it up.

However, I'm confused about Factions, Guilds and & Houses. Can a character be a member of one of each, or what? There also seem to be some other groups, can one also be a member of one of those as well? Oh, and can I join a Guild and later change to another Guild? Any info would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Faction, Guilds & Houses - I'm confused
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:22 pm 
Tea Party Mod
Tea Party Mod

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 5
You can only join one Great House--however, due to a glitch, you can also become Grandmaster of House Hlaalu, in addition to being a member of another house. (So if you join House Redoran, you can later become Grandmaster of Hlaalu as well).

There are some conflicts in quests between the Fighters Guild and Thieves Guild. You may want to look on the wiki for the specifics, but if you want to join them both, see the wiki about the quest The Code Book.

You can join the other guilds as you like, though they have disposition modifiers. Ie; House Telvanni really dislike the Mages Guild, the Great Houses all dislike each other... Though these negative modifiers will be overcome if you join the faction and gain rank.

The joinable factions are House Redoran, Telvanni, and/or Hlaalu, the Blades, East Empire Company (in the Bloodmoon expansion), Fighters Guild, Imperial Cult (worshippers of the Divines), Imperial Legion, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Morag Tong, and Tribunal Temple.

There are a couple other factions you can become a part of, and a bit of other info, but it's probably best that you discover it on your own. ;) ...Otherwise, you can find out about it all on the wiki.

...You've made me want to play through Morrowind again. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:54 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Thx, for the helpful info. Only two questions, after spending a lot of time with the wiki.

1) The Blades: I have to be a member to do the Main Quest, does that prevent me from joining a Great House? I'm thinking Great House + Guild membership + also being a secret member of the Blades is a likely configuration.

2) I'm thinking joining the Mages Guild for the quests, training, freebies and cheaper vendors for a while; then later joining House Telvanni. I don't think I can be in both those at the same time, at least not to the highest levels. Would I be able to join House Telvanni with a Mages Guild background? And then join a different Guild? I'm thinking, yes. But I'd rather not find out much later that this will not work.

Regarding playing Morrowind again, I have to say I'd never played before, but with some of the wonderful mods the graphics are really superior and the game itself is great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:51 pm 
Tea Party Mod
Tea Party Mod

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 5
1) Nope. You can join a Great House even if you're a Blade. One of the factions Caius recommends you join up with is one of the Great Houses, in fact.

2) Yep. Only thing that should be changed is that Telvanni members and guards will (initially) be rude to you and give you crappier prices--but that'll change when you rank up. You can join as many guilds at a time as you like, provided you avoid those couple conflicts. For example, I'm presently in the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, and the Tribunal Temple. And as soon as I can, I'll also join House Redoran, Imperial Legion, Imperial Cult, and the Thieves Guild.

For certain! Morrowind was my introduction to TES, and my 10 year old or so mind was blown.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:41 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Wow! As many Guilds as possible!!

Info was HUGELY helpful, THX.