Switch to full style
A place to discuss and ask questions about the third part of The Elder Scrolls series and its expansions
Post a reply

Telvanni or Mages Guild

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 am

So I'm going to do a full play through of Morrowind as a Dunmer Battlemage. As a balanced user of might and magic, plenty of guilds are open to me. I fully intend to swear my loyalty to the Tribunal Temple over the Imperial Cult, since I'll be a propper dunmer, and the Fighter's Guild is going to be a good choice for my martial aspects.

Now, for roleplaying reasons, I will only chose one faction to focus my magical talents on, Telvanni or the Mages Guild. Yes, I'm aware you can join both, and easily reach the highest rank of both. But it just wouldn't seem fitting, especially since they hate each other's guts. Sometimes literally.

Joining the Mages Guild would "free" me up to join House Redoran, but I already have access to a nice warrior-focus guild that most don't really care about. Telvanni would give me a different House to join, I've never done it since I almost always joined Hlaalu since all my past characters were more Imperial-tradition focused. Sure, the Mages Guild won't like me, so I'd probably avoid their teleportation. But that's what Almsivi and Mark/Recal are for. Plus a little walking never hurt anyone.

What are your recomendations?

Re: Telvanni or Mages Guild

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:53 am

I would recommend the Mages Guild over the Telvanni, as well as Redoran instead of Fighters Guild. Based on solely mathematical terms, and centered around your decision of the Tribunal Temple, you will have a better relationship with the Temple with Redoran/Mages combo. Redoran has a +2 modifier and Mages has -2 modifier resulting in a neutral disposition. If you went with Telvanni and the Fighters Guild, they each have a -1 modifier to disposition with the Temple, putting you at a -2 disadvantage. Granted it's not much, but it's something to consider. In my mind, a proper Dunmer in the Temple would very likely join in with Redoran, focusing on tradition and all that, as well as seeing as House Redoran and Tribunal Temple are allies.

In terms of favored skills, based on the pre-built Battlemage class, you are pretty well balanced between either set. Redoran shares only 2 skills (Heavy Armor and Long Blade) with the Battlemage class, while the Fighters guild also has Axe. While a Battlemage does start with Axe as a major and Long Blade as a Minor, I imagine you will probably focus in on one weapon specialty, using Destruction as your other primary offense, and I just personally like long blades better. Mages and Telvanni are an even balance of 5 skills, but Mages prefers Alchemy over Telvanni's Conjuration. Alchemy seems more useful to me as a Battlemage. While I suppose you could conjure bound weapons, I envision a heavily armored mage with a sword at their side, using magical abilities to aid them in combat, instead of summoning weapons/creatures to fight for them, hence my preference for Alchemy here.

Redoran feels more centrally located as well over Telvanni, which always felt too isolated for my liking. As you pointed out, Mages Guild will offer teleportation which seems more useful than giving it up (for RP purposes) to me.

That being said, I don't think the other pairing is significantly worse, as they are both pretty balanced, and if you have never played the Telvanni before, they are worth giving a go.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:27 am

In addition to what scribbane said, if you're going to role-play a patriotic Dunmer (and what Dunmer isn't?), then Telvanni would be an excellent choice, seeing as how they're the most stuck-up of the Three Great Houses of Vvardenfell (and Dunmer are almost always stuck-up anyway). It's one of the reasons why I like 'em (that, and have you seen the Dunmer women in Oblivion? Talk about hot)!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 pm

A Great house Telvanni + Temple play-through would be a little strange perhaps if you go by the Lore... most of the wizards and their underlings care little for the Tribunal, it is naught but a distraction for them and they have no time for it. The Telvanni are also fine with Undead like Vampires which is something the Temple hate with a burning passion.

I'd truly suggest the Mages Guild for a more coherent character and go for House Redoran as a house since they have the deepest connection with the Temple out of any guild or faction in the game.

There is nothing really stopping you though if you want to play Telvanni... you are an outlander so half of what you do is probably weird as all hell to them anyway.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Post a reply