Switch to full style
Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else, goes here
Post a reply

Re: General Discussion

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:55 am

I know I could Google, but I'm going to go old fashioned and just ask.

Is there any significance to the date of Thanksgiving?

I agree, Cass, I've often thought that it would be funny to have like a 'Christmas type' dinner and a Christmas dinner within a month of each other. I suppose it's just a case of what you're used to, though.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 am

Abe Lincoln established the modern American Thanksgiving.

My guess that it stems from a feast you might throw to get one last taste of fresh food, as everything else you've grown and harvested has been smoked, salted, pickled, dried, boiled, canned or otherwised zombified for the winter.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 am

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 am

I have Black Friday to thank for having saved something like $150 on my laptop two years ago, but I bought that online; I'd never want to set foot in a store on Black Friday if I lived in the US. Speaking of which, this year I'll actually be experiencing American Thanksgiving for the first time, since I'm working in the States for a 4-month internship. I don't have any plans for it yet, but I'm at least looking forward to that four-day weekend!

(Though I agree with Cass, Canadian Thanksgiving best Thanksgiving)

(Also hey everyone it's been a few months, how's it hanging)

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Sod the diet, burn it down! VIVA LA REVOLUTION! VIVA LA *has heart attack*

perhaps, sodding the diet is a bad idea afterall.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Ya know what I wanna do.. visit Quebec, like for real. Idk why. Seems like a fun excuse to explore

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Yeah I wasn't under any illusions about that, but I just feel a sort of obligation to do something with the 4-day weekend. A couple of my friends from class mentioned maybe going on a hike (which is more or less the only thing to do around here), so that might be what ends up happening.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 am

Over here, the next holiday is christmas. Black Friday is upon us but not many stores does it and many brits will go Bah, Humbug. I may actually get a humbug just so I can go, "Bah!".

I probably should stock up on christmas crap for christmas day so i can feast on day of christmas. The boxing day sales is something I can potentially take advantage of this year! :D

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:42 am

I am starting to buy few gifts for Christmas, I don't want to do a late Christmas shopping this year.

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Christmas presents are always so much stress, I hate it

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm

I have none and will recieve none. Take that Christmas! You wicked hellspawn of the clothing god, Satin! *puts a flaming christmas tree in front of window*

What? Can't I conduct a war against the christmas season without being judged?

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:43 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all the American members of this community!

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:34 pm

*Breaks out the heavy metal and plays it.* TIS THE SEASON TO BE [&@%!] JOLLY! TRALLALA,LA LA LA! TIME TO BLOW CASH ON UNNECCESSARY CRAP, LA LA LA etc... - Sheodovah's aggressive as [&@%!] christmas song.

What? Tis the christmas season. Aside from the christmas dinner at the charity shop I volunteer at, I have plenty of reasons to be Sheodovah: Ah, Bah Humbugger amongst mortals. Shuddup! I am so gonna grinch everyone.

Also, why is Black Friday a thing over here in the UK? We don't do Thanksgiving. It's a shoddy excuse for sales. Now, I know "Oh but Dovah, it's a wonderful chance for cheap bargains." It's an excuse. Black Friday shouldn't be a thing and what in the bluest of 8 bit hell in a very crap retro game by LJN is cyber monday? Seriously, what is cyber monday? WHAT IS IT!? Mondays are reserved for miserable day of the week. Damn political thing! It took away our most miserable day! It means Tuesday is now the miserable day followed by cheering up day on wednesday which bumps tea celebration as it's mid-week day to thursday which bumps thursday down to friday.

Am I turning into the ranty ol' dovah of the forum? I mean, I have a large beard. I seem to be bitter. I'm merely 25! Yet, i seem to be turning into Abe Simpson.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 pm

My sister had to evacuate her home during the recent wildfires that burned into Malibu. We had Thanksgiving dinner at that very same home two weeks later. The last few Thanksgivings have been pretty interesting.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Oye, sorry to hear that Dark Spark. But glad to hear it sounds like your sister is safe.

And thanks joy, I had a lovely Thanksgiving! :D

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:57 am

They're fine. My two nieces got to stay out of school for a bit (bet they liked that), and I have a good reason to donate to a firefighters' charity since the neighborhood was successfully defended.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm

:S Could a honey badger kill a grown man?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:24 pm

If they were both atop a mountain, and the honey badger was real frisky.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 am

Well put it like this, a lion doesnt even wanna mess with a honey badger where as the badger dont care who its gotta fight

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 am

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:05 am

dude same
Post a reply