THE ELDER SCROLLS CHAPTER 2: DAGGERFALL FAQ
MAILING LIST INFORMATION
2 April 1997
This section, Mailing List Information, gives instructions on how to join
the DAGGERFALL mailing list. For those who don't know what a
mailing list is...it is essentially a large group of people who communicate
via e-mail concerning the game. EX: You could post an e-mail about how to
get past a certain monster. This e-mail would be sent to all members of
the mailing list...who might then respond. Typically you should expect to receive
anywhere from 30-100 messages a day.
- New Items
- Commands to the List
- Sending Mail to the List
- Rules Concerning Spoilers
- Other Rules
- Retrieving Message from the Archive
- Contacting List Administrator
- The Latest Daggerfall Patch can
be located on the ftp site under the /pub/dmdurkee/daggerfall/patches directory,
I have also included the fixsave utility at the same location.
- The daggerfall archive has changed up just a bit, I have added a new
directory for patches, and a incoming area for pictures, save files,
whatever, the ftp site is located via anonymous ftp at
- Please do not post html to the list, it just confuses old timers like me
that are used to plain text.
Commands to the list
Send a message to email@example.com
with no subject. The body of the message should contain the command(s) that
you wish to execute.
- subscribe dagrfall
- Subscribes you to the list
- subscribe dagrfall-digest
- Subscribes you to the digest version of the list
- unsubscribe dagrfall
- Removes you from the list
- unsubscribe dagrfall-digest
- Removes you from the digest version of the list
- who dagrfall
- Returns a list to you of all current list members
- who dagrfall-digest
- Returns a list to you of all current digest members
Sending mail to the list
Due to some past bouts of spam, only people currently subscribed to the
list will be able to post messages to the list. So be sure that your "From:"
field is set to whatever the E-Mail address is that you used to subscribe to
the list. For most people this won't mean anything, but if you are not seeing
your postings check your "From:" field and make sure it matches up with the
E-Mail address you used to subscribe with.
Any mail that you send to 'firstname.lastname@example.org' is automatically
copied to all members of the list. Thus, to respond to a message you
see on the list, you would want to replace the To: portion of the
email with 'email@example.com' unless you wanted it to be private to
the original author in which case you would leave their email address
intact, and the list would (of course) never see it.
To send a new mail to the list, just start a new message as you
normally would. Send the message to 'firstname.lastname@example.org' instead of
a person, and it will automatically be copied to one an all.
Rule concerning "spoiler" messages
ALL messages which contain something which may spoil the fun for
others, MUST contain the word SPOILER in all caps at the start of the
subject. Things considered to be spoilers include, but are not
limited to (use your best judgement, I'm not going to kick someone
off for violating this rule the first time):
- Locations of quest objects
- Locations of hidden rooms and/or the means to get into them
- Locations of where to buy the best stuff, etc.
- Where to find NPCs and/or what they can tell you or do for you
- ANYTHING else in the same vein
- Bugs in the game that allow you to advance more quickly (whether
through money, XP or items)
- Any "hacks" to the game's files or savegames which allow you to
By using your best judgement, these things would not be considered
- Locations of scenery
- Hints on how to build good spells or items cheaply
- A hack to "backup" your character without changing him/her
Again, use your best judgement and I'm sure everything will be fine.
Other rules regarding behaviour on the list
- One or two off-topic posts are normal and not subject to any kind
of action. Repeated off-topic posts will warrant a warning to the
- Off-topic posts are considered anything not related to the TES
series of games. Thus, acceptable topics are Arena, Daggerfall, or
the as yet unnamed TES:3, 4, etc.
- After being warned of off-topic posts, if the list member
continues in the same vein (not necessarily the same topic) they will
be ejected from the list. I may choose to issue a second warning,
but this will depend on many factors (not the least being the time
since the first warning).
- No personal attacks are allowed on this list. Flames will result
in a warning per the off-topic rules.
- Warnings are (usually) not posted to the list, this just creates more
spam, I do take notice when things get out of hand and take the appropriate
Retrieving archives of list messages
All past articles can be found in digest format at the following location
Contacting the list administrator
You can contact the administrator of the list (myself) at my regular
email address, email@example.com
Converted to HTML by: Dave Humphrey - firstname.lastname@example.org, 7 April 1997
Text Originally from the DAGGERFALL Mailing List.