Tribunal:Dark Brotherhood Attacks
|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Rest for any length of time and you will eventually be interrupted by an assassin.
- Talk to any normal guard to be directed to Apelles Matius in Ebonheart.
- Speak to Apelles Matius about the Dark Brotherhood to be directed to Asciene Rane in the Grand Council Chamber in Ebonheart.
- Mention Transport to Mournhold to Asciene Rane to be teleported to the Royal Palace in Mournhold.
- Talk to a guard in Mournhold to complete the quest.
To start the expansion content, simply rest or sleep for any length of time and you may be interrupted by an assassin of the Dark Brotherhood (*see the notes). Don't underestimate this leveled opponent, as he has a good weapon and a decent amount of health. Once you've killed him, you should receive a journal note to visit any normal Guard to inform him about this attempt on your life.
The Guard will be amazed that you survived this attempt and advise you to speak with Apelles Matius in Ebonheart. If you put off this visit, you will be attacked again and again when you sleep, up to ten times. If you can manage to obliterate the Assassin before he can even attack, you also find a carved ebony dart on his body, and get a journal entry stating so. This doesn't affect the Tribunal Main Quest in any way, the dart is simply a prize (worth 2,000 gold).
If you are too weak to kill the opponent (for example, if you have just started Morrowind, but have also installed Tribunal), you can use Almsivi Intervention or Divine Intervention (you can buy these scrolls almost anywhere) to escape by teleporting to another place. Do keep in mind that the assassin will remain where you left him, so it is advisable to choose a place you are not planning to frequent (for sleeping for the first time, as you will get attacked while you sleep).
Luring the assassin to a town doesn't work, as the guards won't help you fight him.
Once in Ebonheart (which is just a little south-east of Seyda Neen), any Guard should be able to tell you that Apelles can be found 'wandering the battlements' close to the main castle. Find him and ask him about the Dark Brotherhood and the conversation will quickly lead towards the mainland of Morrowind. Apelles will tell you to speak with Asciene Rane about transport to Mournhold, the capital of Morrowind.
This powerful mage can be found in the Grand Council Chamber in Ebonheart, just to the right of the front entrance in the main hall. Ask her about Transport to Mournhold and tell her that you've been "marked by the Dark Brotherhood" to be teleported to the Royal Palace in Mournhold. To travel back to Vvardenfell, speak to the Argonian Effe-Tei in the same entrance hall where you arrive.
Closing the quest
To finish the quest talk to any guard in Mournhold. You'll get another journal entry and have completed this quest.
- The conditions for being attacked in your sleep differ between the PC and Xbox versions of the game. In the PC version, you can be attacked at any time, even when you sleep for the first time after starting a new game with Tribunal installed. In the Xbox version, you will only be attacked after you have reached level 6.
- To intentionally begin this quest, you can rest repeatedly until an assassin attacks. Each time you sleep, a random roll determines whether an attack occurs. The chance of an attack and the level of the assassin both increase as your level increases. At level 20 or above, an attack may spawn two assassins at once.
- If you wish to rest without being attacked or beginning this quest, use the bedroll in the basement of the Census and Excise Office in Seyda Neen. The attack script excludes that interior cell to avoid breaking character generation, and continues to exclude it after character generation is complete.
Combat and loot
- If you sleep in an interior with more than one room, the assassin often spawns in another room and will not become hostile towards you until he sees you. This is a good opportunity to prepare for the attack or obtain A Carved Ebony Dart from the assassin.
- The best place to sleep is in the Balmora Fighter's Guild bedroom. Stand facing the bunkbeds with your back to the wall. The assassin will spawn standing in the middle of the bunkbed, unable to move or fight back.
- The assassin is capable of opening doors, other than those that are locked or trigger a loading screen.
- If you are lower level, the assassins' Dark Brotherhood armor is some of the strongest light armor you can get at this point. The armor also sells for a nice sum of gold. It is the lightest in the game, so you may wish to keep a set indefinitely, for times when you need to haul a lot of loot. The stronger assassins (after you are level 25) may wield Daedric and Adamantium weapons.
After the attack
- Some special guards (like the Duke's Guard) will not respond to your questions about the Dark Brotherhood, but most others will.
- Your Recall/Mark, Almsivi/Divine Intervention are your best friends during most of the Dark Brotherhood-related quests, so learn them (or get items that cast them) before going to Mournhold. Within Mournhold, Divine will teleport you to the Royal Palace Courtyard and Almsivi will teleport you to in front of the Temple.
- The attacks will stop once Apelles Matius tells you to speak to Asciene Rane, though the quest will stay active in your journal until you talk to a Mournhold guard.
- After you have first traveled to Mournhold, Apelles Matius is no longer essential to any quests. Nevertheless, his death will still bring up the essential character message.
- If you don't talk to a guard about the Dark Brotherhood and complete the subsequent quest on your own by killing Dandras Vules, the entry for this quest will never disappear from your journal. You will need to use the console to manually set the correct quest stage.
- On Xbox, after speaking with Apelles Matius in Ebonhart, it may be impossible to enter the Grand Council Chambers. Opening the door or using Recall will freeze the game once the "Loading Area" progress bar is full.
- Saving the game after talking to Apelles, restarting the console, then Recalling into the Grand Council Chambers should fix the problem.
These codes can be used along with the
Journal Console command and quest ID given within the chart to update the quest to a certain point.
|Prev: None||Up: Main Quest Page||Next: Hunt the Dark Brotherhood|