Old Wooden Door
- Its for the Ebony Blade quest. Get it via rumors at lvl 20+. 188.8.131.52 16:37, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
Angry Quest Givers?
Upon first entering Dragonsreach, I decided to not turn in the quest that alerts the Jarl to the Dragon situation. Upon reentering Dragonsreach for the second time to use the Enchanting table, every npc attacked me, with the Jarl becoming the first one to become hostile. Does anyone else have this problem? — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 16:40 on 24 January 2012
- If you have a bounty of 100 or higher (like for killing someone) everyone wil turn hostile — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 16:21 on 12 May 2012
- This happens to me as well without any provocation. I was able to get rid of it by committing a crime and just paying it.18.104.22.168 11:35, 23 June 2012 (UTC)
Trick to open evidence chest unseen
In at least one of the prison cells in Dragonsreach there is an escape route to an undergroun tunnel. Following this tunnel, you willreach an area with a stairway and a window without glass. The evidence chest is behind it. You can reach it when you jump. Dont know if you can do it with low sneak skill though, mine was abou 55 when I discovered the tunnel and finally got my helmet of water breathing back.... :-) -- SH — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 21:08 on 29 April 2012
- I don't see Sneak as the problem; that window is down at floor level in the room where the chest is and no one seems to be looking in that direction. A bigger problem is: while the Whiterun guards very sportingly let you have one lockpick to escape with, that chest has an expert level lock. Wyldebill (talk) 09:04, 29 November 2012 (GMT)
- There are a lot of places you can get stuck in the game. It's not generally notable unless it's somewhere you're very likely to go (e.g., a main street or quest-required location). – Robin Hood↝talk 20:44, 29 May 2012 (UTC)
Eliminating Essential NPCs using Vampiric Grip
Using Vampiric Grip, Vampire Lords can throw characters off of the Great Porch. This essentially removes essential characters from the game.
I can at least verify that throwing Essential NPCs off the Great Porch in Dragonsreach works with the Vampiric Grip ability. I'm curious to know whether the NPCs will respawn, reset to their default locations or that one will be able to find them due to waypoints pointing to their location when they are needed for quests. I'll be sure to post an update. Nightblade203 22:37, 10 August 2012 (UTC)
- Update: NPCs thrown off of the Great Porch this way will end up standing below the balcony. One of the NPCs I did this to was Jarl Balgruuf the Greater, whom I still needed for the Main and Civil War quests. I had to use a combination of a Platter glitch that allowed me to walk through walls, and the use of the Become Ethereal Shout in order to prevent me from falling to my death. I tried using Vampiric Grip to throw the NPCs back up to no avail. Fortunatly, I was able to speak to the Jarl and he spawned at High Hrothgar for the Season Unending quest. I'm happy to report he is once again safe and sound inside the actual Dragonsreach as a result of this quest. Two NPCs that remain stuck outside the Great Porch are Irileth and Proventus Avenicci. In short, in order to get NPCs out of there; they would need to spawn in a different location for a quest, as far as I can tell.
- Be warned, and do not do this to any NPCs you might still need later in the game! Nightblade203 16:04, 12 August 2012 (UTC)
Leveled items in display cases
I assume that someone checked this with the console or CSlist or something, but my impression with both characters I've made so far is that there is always an Elven Sword in one, and a Banded Iron Shield and Steel Dagger in the other. Even if I'm not at at least the level where Elven weapons should start spawning when I first get to Whiterun and explore the palace.--Playerseekingbugs (talk) 17:39, 1 December 2012 (GMT)
- I've checked the items in the Creation Kit, and none of them are leveled. I will change the article accordingly. --Holomay (talk) 16:30, 22 May 2014 (GMT)
Dragonsreach smoking roof
There's smoke emerging from the roofing tiles of Dragonsreach - is this considered a bug? I googled this issue but doesn't seem to have been addressed anywhere...Floopster (talk) 13:53, 17 August 2014 (GMT)
- Not really, no—it's a limitation of the game engine. If you're on the PC, you can use the console
tclcommand to fly up and see what's causing it, and it's just a set of braziers up near the top. Their smoke blows through the nearby walls and then appears to come from the roofing tiles. It doesn't reflect real life, but animating smoke is rather difficult at the best of times, never mind animating it to flow around things in a realistic way, so they didn't program that in. – Robin Hood (talk) 16:52, 17 August 2014 (GMT)
- Yes, I see what you mean. It seems that all smoke drifts to the east by default and this can't be changed; refer following discussion from official forum: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1462020-wind-direction-stat/?hl=%2Bsmoke+%2Bdrift#entry22726610. Floopster (talk) 23:18, 17 August 2014 (GMT)