Skyrim:The Burglary Job
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- After joining the Thieves Guild, talk to Vex in The Ragged Flagon about burglary jobs.
- Steal the item she assigns.
- Return it to Vex for a reward.
Vex is a life-long thief longing for the glory days of the Guild. When speaking with her she will tell you that she handles all the burglary, shill, sweep and heist jobs. Through these extra thievery jobs, Vex hopes to increase the cash flow into the Guild; with dreams of restoring the Ragged Flagon to what it used to be.
The Break In
Inquire about a burglary job. Vex will tell you of an item that she knows of, a client that needs an item procured, or just a piece that has sparked her interest. However, you cannot kill anyone to get the item; it’s up to good old-fashioned larceny. Upon accepting the gig, your journal and map will be updated. Occasionally, Vex will send you off with a stern warning to work first and get drunk second. The possible items are:
- Golden Ship Model
- Golden Urn
- Jeweled Candlestick
- Jeweled Flagon
- Jeweled Goblet
- Jeweled Pitcher
- Ornate Drinking Horn
The location can be any of the twenty-nine wealthy house in Skyrim. You may be assigned the same location more than once.
The item that needs to be stolen is not added to the house until the quest is started. You must not be caught and sent to jail while the quest is active, for any reason, otherwise you will fail the quest.
The Pay Out
Once you have the item return it to Vex for a leveled gold reward. If you are having any trouble successfully stealing, using strategies that modify your stealthiness, and items, potions, or spells (such as Muffle) that fortify your sneak skill can help. Making yourself invisible can obviously be very effective. See crime for detailed information about stealing items.
- If one of the house's occupants dies for any reason while the quest is active (even if you are not responsible), you will fail the quest.
- If you are witnessed breaking into someone's house, you can use the become ethereal shout. You can then continue as if you had not been seen.[verification needed — see ]
- If you have already participated in the quest Battle for Whiterun it becomes impossible to enter some homes in Whiterun, namely Heimskr's House and Severio Pelagia's House. However, they can still be assigned as possible quest destinations.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Quit the job and retake it for another location (you can load a previous save to avoid a failed quest if you wish).
- You can use the console command
coc, followed by the editor id of the house.
- When you quit a job the item you were meant to steal remains, and when you receive another quest to steal an item from the same house, there may be more than one item in the same space. This can make the item hard to pick up since the extra item is impossible to pick up, you will have to find an angle to pick up the item required for the job.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 5.