Alchemy is the art of brewing potions and poisons by combining ingredients with matching effects. Initially, you don't know the effects of ingredients and must discover them by eating ingredients, reading recipes, or brewing them into potions.
Some NPCs (notably alchemists) may offer you basic recipes while conversing. Perks in this skill allow discovering more effects by eating; increase the effectiveness of created potions and poisons; remove the positive effects from poisons and the negative effects from potions; and allow you to gather twice as many ingredients from plants. The alchemy skill tree has 9 perks, requiring 15 perk points to fill. Each level in the alchemy skill increases the effectiveness of crafted potions and poisons by 0.5% for +50% effectiveness at level 100 compared to level 0.
- 1 Summary
- 2 Skill Perks
- 3 Skill Usage
- 4 Skill Increases
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Notes
- 7 Bugs
- 8 External Resources
In-game Description: An alchemist can create magical potions and deadly poisons.
Alchemy is a useful complement to any character style. The most basic potions restore Health, Magicka or Stamina, while poisons cause weapons to inflict greater damage. With a more thorough understanding of the ingredients, you can brew formulas which produce the effects of many magic spells and enchantments. While many potions are available for sale, knowledge of alchemy gives you more flexible, and potentially more powerful, potions than can be bought.
|Perk||Rank||Description||ID||Skill Req.||Perk Req.|
|Alchemist||1||Potions and poisons you make are 20% stronger.||000be127|
|2||Potions and poisons you make are 40% stronger.||000c07ca||20 Alchemy|
|3||Potions and poisons you make are 60% stronger.||000c07cb||40 Alchemy|
|4||Potions and poisons you make are 80% stronger.||000c07cc||60 Alchemy|
|5||Potions and poisons you make are twice as strong.||000c07cd||80 Alchemy|
|Physician||Potions you mix that restore Health, Magicka or Stamina are 25% more powerful.||00058215||20 Alchemy||Alchemist|
|Benefactor||Potions you mix with beneficial effects have an additional 25% greater magnitude.||00058216||30 Alchemy||Physician|
|Experimenter||1||Eating an ingredient reveals first two effects.||00058218||50 Alchemy||Benefactor|
|2||Eating an ingredient reveals first three effects.||00105f2a||70 Alchemy|
|3||Eating an ingredient reveals all its effects.||00105f2b||90 Alchemy|
|Poisoner||Poisons you mix are 25% more effective.||00058217||30 Alchemy||Physician|
|Concentrated Poison||Poisons applied to weapons last for twice as many hits.||00105f2f||60 Alchemy||Poisoner|
|Green Thumb||Two ingredients are gathered from plants.†||00105f2e||70 Alchemy||Concentrated Poison|
|Snakeblood||50% resistance to all poisons.||00105f2c||80 Alchemy||Experimenter or Concentrated Poison|
|Purity||All negative effects are removed from created potions, and all positive effects are removed from created poisons.||0005821d||100 Alchemy||Snakeblood‡|
Alchemy can only be performed at designated alchemy labs.
To create a potion (or poison) you must combine two or three ingredients which share a magical effect. If the shared effect is a beneficial one (e.g., Restore Health), you create a potion; if the shared effect is a negative one (e.g., Damage Health), you create a poison. Multiple-effect potions can be created if the combined ingredients have more than one effect in common. A list of some useful craftable potions is provided at Useful Potions.
Each ingredient has a total of four available effects. Eating the ingredient always allows you to discover an ingredient's first effect; the Experimenter perk causes additional effects to be discovered when you consume an ingredient. Additional effects can be discovered by experimenting to see what ingredient combinations successfully yield potions. When an ingredient is selected, it will grey out all other ingredients where a combination has previously been attempted and failed. Unlike in Oblivion, your Alchemy level does not affect which effects you can discover or use. When an effect has been identified, the effect will be listed in the Alchemy menu screen, allowing you to sort ingredients by effect.
Your Alchemy skill level, Alchemy perks, and Fortify Alchemy enchantments determine the strength of any potions or poisons that you create (see Alchemy Effects for details). In turn, mixing potions/poisons leads to Alchemy skill increases. The effects of multiple Fortify Skill potions generally do not stack; if you already have a Fortify Enchanting potion in your system, there is no benefit to drinking another. The exception to this rule is Fortify Restoration potions; since Restoration governs all Skills, a Fortify Restoration potion will reinforce any Fortify <Skill> potion if drunk together.
Result = fAlchemyIngredientInitMult x BaseMag x SkillMult x Alchemist Perk[1.0 to 2.0] x Benefactor Perk[1.25] x Physician Perk[1.25] x Poisoner Perk[1.25] x Sum of Enchantments[1.0+] x Seeker of Shadows[1.1]
- fAlchemyIngredientInitMult: 4
- fAlchemySkillFactor: 1.5
- BaseMag: Alchemy effect base magnitude
- SkillMult: 1 + (fAlchemySkillFactor - 1) x Skill / 100
If result < 0, then result = BaseMag
- You can try various recipes found in-game, or you can simply mix ingredients together randomly. A more effective strategy is to notice commonalities between ingredients. Those that grow near each other often have similar effects (such as Purple Mountain Flower + Thistle, or Lavender + Red Mountain Flower + Tundra Cotton). Insects that feed on flowers often have the same effects. Similarities between names (such as, "Frost" and "Snow") also provide a hint. Placement of ingredients in kitchens and display shelves usually indicate they combine with nearby ingredients.
- The Experimenter perk allows you to discover more effects each time you eat an ingredient.
- The 1.9 patch and the Dragonborn add-on both have features that let you clear a Perk Tree and reinvest those perks in other places. So you can get as many perks as you want in Experimenter, eat one of each ingredient, and then clear the Alchemy tree to put those perks elsewhere, giving you all the benefits of this perk without having to waste the 6 perk points it would take to get all the effects.
- The lists below are sets of potion recipes that will efficiently reveal all four effects of every ingredient. Each list has a title with the ingredients it includes; the division is between ingredients from the base game and those added in the official add-ons. There is no assumption that you have identified any effects, even the first one.
|Base Game and Official Add-On Ingredients (74 Potions)|
1. Abecean Longfin + Ash Hopper Jelly + Cyrodilic Spadetail 2. Abecean Longfin + Powdered Mammoth Tusk + Sabre Cat Tooth 3. Ancestor Moth Wing + Blue Butterfly Wing + Chaurus Hunter Antennae 4. Ash Creep Cluster + Bone Meal + Ectoplasm 5. Ash Creep Cluster + Ice Wraith Teeth + Purple Mountain Flower 6. Ash Hopper Jelly + Blue Dartwing + Skeever Tail 7. Ashen Grass Pod + Bee + Fly Amanita 8. Ashen Grass Pod + Human Flesh + Namira's Rot 9. Bear Claws + Hanging Moss + Hawk Feathers 10. Bear Claws + Small Pearl + Yellow Mountain Flower 11. Bee + Orange Dartwing + Scathecraw 12. Beehive Husk + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Hawk Feathers 13. Beehive Husk + Grass Pod + White Cap 14. Beehive Husk + Honeycomb + Wisp Wrappings 15. Bleeding Crown + Boar Tusk + Lavender 16. Bleeding Crown + Chaurus Eggs + Juniper Berries 17. Blisterwort + Dragon's Tongue + Fly Amanita 18. Blisterwort + Giant's Toe + Wheat 19. Blisterwort + Ice Wraith Teeth + Sabre Cat Tooth 20. Blue Dartwing + Namira's Rot + Nordic Barnacle 21. Blue Mountain Flower + Boar Tusk + Imp Stool 22. Blue Mountain Flower + Hagraven Feathers + Human Heart 23. Boar Tusk + Falmer Ear + Pearl 24. Bone Meal + Frost Salts + Moon Sugar 25. Bone Meal + Lavender + Spawn Ash 26. Briar Heart + Canis Root + Elves Ear 27. Briar Heart + Hagraven Claw + Tundra Cotton 28. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Juniper Berries + Spider Egg 29. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Poison Bloom + River Betty 30. Butterfly Wing + Dragon's Tongue + Small Antlers 31. Butterfly Wing + Eye of Sabre Cat + Trama Root 32. Canis Root + Rock Warbler Egg + Swamp Fungal Pod 33. Charred Skeever Hide + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Mudcrab Chitin 34. Chaurus Eggs + Garlic + Luna Moth Wing 35. Chicken's Egg + Hawk's Egg + Nightshade 36. Creep Cluster + Mora Tapinella + Scaly Pholiota 37. Creep Cluster + Thistle Branch + Yellow Mountain Flower
38. Crimson Nirnroot + Nirnroot + Void Salts 39. Cyrodilic Spadetail + Daedra Heart + Skeever Tail 40. Cyrodilic Spadetail + Falmer Ear + Spider Egg 41. Daedra Heart + Eye of Sabre Cat + Silverside Perch 42. Deathbell + Frost Mirriam + Scathecraw 43. Deathbell + Salt Pile + Small Antlers 44. Dragon's Tongue + Mudcrab Chitin + Scaly Pholiota 45. Dwarven Oil + Jazbay Grapes + Taproot 46. Ectoplasm + Grass Pod + Red Mountain Flower 47. Elves Ear + Fire Salts + Moon Sugar 48. Emperor Parasol Moss + Falmer Ear + Troll Fat 49. Emperor Parasol Moss + Garlic + Salmon Roe 50. Falmer Ear + Nightshade + Pine Thrush Egg 51. Felsaad Tern Feathers + Gleamblossom + Vampire Dust 52. Fly Amanita + Jazbay Grapes + Salt Pile 53. Frost Mirriam + Purple Mountain Flower + Wheat 54. Garlic + Orange Dartwing + Slaughterfish Egg 55. Giant Lichen + Jazbay Grapes + Void Salts 56. Giant Lichen + Pearl + Pine Thrush Egg 57. Giant's Toe + Hawk Beak + Small Pearl 58. Gleamblossom + Netch Jelly + Wisp Wrappings 59. Glow Dust + Glowing Mushroom + Hanging Moss 60. Glowing Mushroom + Nightshade + Spriggan Sap 61. Grass Pod + Hagraven Claw + Spriggan Sap 62. Hagraven Claw + Rock Warbler Egg + Torchbug Thorax 63. Hagraven Feathers + Poison Bloom + Trama Root 64. Hawk Beak + Purple Mountain Flower + Swamp Fungal Pod 65. Hawk Beak + Snowberries + Spawn Ash 66. Histcarp + Juniper Berries + Nordic Barnacle 67. Histcarp + Large Antlers + Salmon Roe 68. Honeycomb + Slaughterfish Scales + Thistle Branch 69. Human Flesh + Imp Stool + Mora Tapinella 70. Human Heart + Luna Moth Wing + Skeever Tail 71. Ice Wraith Teeth + Poison Bloom + Powdered Mammoth Tusk 72. Ice Wraith Teeth + Vampire Dust + White Cap 73. Large Antlers + Salt Pile + Torchbug Thorax 74. Scathecraw + Silverside Perch + Slaughterfish Scales
List of needed ingredients:
Falmer Ear, Ice Wraith Teeth
Beehive Husk, Blisterwort, Boar Tusk, Bone Meal, Cyrodilic Spadetail, Dragon's Tongue, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Fly Amanita, Garlic, Grass Pod, Hagraven Claw, Hawk Beak, Jazbay Grapes, Juniper Berries, Nightshade, Poison Bloom, Purple Mountain Flower, Salt Pile, Scathecraw, Skeever Tail
Abecean Longfin, Ash Creep Cluster, Ash Hopper Jelly, Ashen Grass Pod, Bear Claws, Bee, Bleeding Crown, Blue Dartwing, Blue Mountain Flower, Briar Heart, Burnt Spriggan Wood, Butterfly Wing, Canis Root, Chaurus Eggs, Creep Cluster, Daedra Heart, Deathbell, Ectoplasm, Elves Ear, Emperor Parasol Moss, Eye of Sabre Cat, Frost Mirriam, Giant Lichen, Giant's Toe, Gleamblossom, Glowing Mushroom, Hagraven Feathers, Hanging Moss, Hawk Feathers, Histcarp, Honeycomb, Human Flesh, Human Heart, Imp Stool, Large Antlers, Lavender, Luna Moth Wing, Moon Sugar, Mora Tapinella, Mudcrab Chitin, Namira's Rot, Nordic Barnacle, Orange Dartwing, Pearl, Pine Thrush Egg, Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Rock Warbler Egg, Sabre Cat Tooth, Salmon Roe, Scaly Pholiota, Silverside Perch, Slaughterfish Scales, Small Antlers, Small Pearl, Spawn Ash, Spider Egg, Spriggan Sap, Swamp Fungal Pod, Thistle Branch, Torchbug Thorax, Trama Root, Vampire Dust, Void Salts, Wheat, White Cap, Wisp Wrappings, Yellow Mountain Flower
Ancestor Moth Wing, Blue Butterfly Wing, Charred Skeever Hide, Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Chicken's Egg, Crimson Nirnroot, Dwarven Oil, Fire Salts, Frost Salts, Glow Dust, Hawk's Egg, Netch Jelly, Nirnroot, Red Mountain Flower, River Betty, Slaughterfish Egg, Snowberries, Taproot, Troll Fat, Tundra Cotton
|Base Game Ingredients (64 Potions)|
1. Abecean Longfin + Deathbell + Small Antlers 2. Abecean Longfin + Ice Wraith Teeth + Powdered Mammoth Tusk 3. Abecean Longfin + Silverside Perch + Small Pearl 4. Bear Claws + Canis Root + Spider Egg 5. Bear Claws + Glowing Mushroom + Sabre Cat Tooth 6. Bee + Bone Meal + Fly Amanita 7. Bee + Giant Lichen + Sabre Cat Tooth 8. Beehive Husk + Ectoplasm + Skeever Tail 9. Beehive Husk + Grass Pod + Human Flesh 10. Bleeding Crown + Elves Ear + Juniper Berries 11. Bleeding Crown + Hagraven Feathers + Lavender 12. Bleeding Crown + Pearl + Pine Thrush Egg 13. Blisterwort + Blue Butterfly Wing + Spriggan Sap 14. Blisterwort + Butterfly Wing + Dragon's Tongue 15. Blisterwort + Daedra Heart + Troll Fat 16. Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower + Wheat 17. Blue Dartwing + Imp Stool + Swamp Fungal Pod 18. Blue Dartwing + Orange Dartwing + Powdered Mammoth Tusk 19. Bone Meal + Frost Salts + Moon Sugar 20. Bone Meal + Giant's Toe + Snowberries 21. Briar Heart + Ectoplasm + Human Flesh 22. Briar Heart + Hagraven Claw + Tundra Cotton 23. Butterfly Wing + Chaurus Eggs + Small Antlers 24. Canis Root + Hagraven Claw + Swamp Fungal Pod 25. Charred Skeever Hide + Creep Cluster + Rock Warbler Egg 26. Charred Skeever Hide + Dragon's Tongue + Mudcrab Chitin 27. Chaurus Eggs + Lavender + Luna Moth Wing 28. Chicken's Egg + Histcarp + Red Mountain Flower 29. Chicken's Egg + Human Heart + Nordic Barnacle 30. Chicken's Egg + Nightshade + Wisp Wrappings 31. Creep Cluster + Large Antlers + Torchbug Thorax 32. Creep Cluster + Mora Tapinella + Scaly Pholiota
33. Crimson Nirnroot + Nirnroot + Void Salts 34. Cyrodilic Spadetail + Jazbay Grapes + Salt Pile 35. Cyrodilic Spadetail + Namira's Rot + Spider Egg 36. Daedra Heart + Eye of Sabre Cat + Silverside Perch 37. Daedra Heart + Juniper Berries + Namira's Rot 38. Deathbell + Honeycomb + Salt Pile 39. Dragon's Tongue + Mora Tapinella + Slaughterfish Scales 40. Dragon's Tongue + Thistle Branch + Troll Fat 41. Dwarven Oil + Mora Tapinella + Taproot 42. Elves Ear + Fire Salts + Moon Sugar 43. Falmer Ear + Fly Amanita + Troll Fat 44. Falmer Ear + Pine Thrush Egg + Purple Mountain Flower 45. Frost Mirriam + Purple Mountain Flower + Wheat 46. Frost Mirriam + Sabre Cat Tooth + White Cap 47. Garlic + Jazbay Grapes + Void Salts 48. Garlic + Nordic Barnacle + Slaughterfish Egg 49. Giant Lichen + Pearl + Skeever Tail 50. Giant's Toe + Hanging Moss + Rock Warbler Egg 51. Giant's Toe + Large Antlers + River Betty 52. Glow Dust + Glowing Mushroom + Hanging Moss 53. Grass Pod + Red Mountain Flower + River Betty 54. Hagraven Claw + Snowberries + Torchbug Thorax 55. Hagraven Feathers + Human Heart + Void Salts 56. Hawk Beak + Snowberries + Wisp Wrappings 57. Hawk Feathers + Luna Moth Wing + Vampire Dust 58. Hawk Feathers + Powdered Mammoth Tusk + Small Pearl 59. Histcarp + Honeycomb + Skeever Tail 60. Honeycomb + Slaughterfish Scales + Thistle Branch 61. Ice Wraith Teeth + Vampire Dust + White Cap 62. Imp Stool + Nightshade + Slaughterfish Scales 63. Lavender + Orange Dartwing + Slaughterfish Egg 64. River Betty + Spriggan Sap + Vampire Dust
List of needed ingredients:
Abecean Longfin, Blisterwort, Dragon's Tongue, Giant's Toe, Hagraven Claw, Lavender, Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Sabre Cat Tooth, Skeever Tail, Snowberries
Bee, Beehive Husk, Bleeding Crown, Blue Dartwing, Bone Meal, Butterfly Wing, Chaurus Eggs, Chicken's Egg, Creep Cluster, Daedra Heart, Deathbell, Giant Lichen, Hagraven Feathers, Histcarp, Honeycomb, Human Heart, Imp Stool, Juniper Berries, Mora Tapinella, Namira's Rot, Orange Dartwing, River Betty, Rock Warbler Egg, Slaughterfish Scales, Small Antlers, Small Pearl, Spriggan Sap, Swamp Fungal Pod, Troll Fat, Void Salts, Wisp Wrappings
Bear Claws, Blue Butterfly Wing, Briar Heart, Canis Root, Charred Skeever Hide, Crimson Nirnroot, Cyrodilic Spadetail, Ectoplasm, Elves Ear, Falmer Ear, Fly Amanita, Frost Mirriam, Garlic, Glowing Mushroom, Grass Pod, Hanging Moss, Hawk Beak, Hawk Feathers, Human Flesh, Ice Wraith Teeth, Jazbay Grapes, Large Antlers, Luna Moth Wing, Nightshade, Nordic Barnacle, Pearl, Pine Thrush Egg, Purple Mountain Flower, Red Mountain Flower, Salt Pile, Scaly Pholiota, Silverside Perch, Slaughterfish Egg, Spider Egg, Thistle Branch, Torchbug Thorax, Tundra Cotton, Vampire Dust, White Cap
|Official Add-On Ingredients (18 Potions)|
1. Ancestor Moth Wing + Ash Creep Cluster + Chaurus Hunter Antennae 2. Ash Creep Cluster + Ashen Grass Pod + Beehive Husk 3. Ash Creep Cluster + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Vampire Dust 4. Ash Hopper Jelly + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Hawk's Egg 5. Ash Hopper Jelly + Glowing Mushroom + White Cap 6. Ashen Grass Pod + Falmer Ear + Trama Root 7. Boar Tusk + Falmer Ear + Tundra Cotton 8. Boar Tusk + Slaughterfish Egg + Yellow Mountain Flower 9. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Chicken's Egg + Hawk's Egg 10. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Frost Salts + River Betty 11. Cyrodilic Spadetail + Poison Bloom + Yellow Mountain Flower 12. Emperor Parasol Moss + Gleamblossom + Troll Fat 13. Emperor Parasol Moss + Salmon Roe + Salt Pile 14. Gleamblossom + Netch Jelly + Wisp Wrappings 15. Histcarp + Salmon Roe + Yellow Mountain Flower 16. Human Heart + Poison Bloom + Trama Root 17. Mora Tapinella + Scathecraw + Skeever Tail 18. Scathecraw + Snowberries + Spawn Ash
List of needed ingredients:
Ash Creep Cluster, Yellow Mountain Flower
Ash Hopper Jelly, Ashen Grass Pod, Boar Tusk, Burnt Spriggan Wood, Emperor Parasol Moss, Falmer Ear, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Gleamblossom, Hawk's Egg, Poison Bloom, Salmon Roe, Scathecraw, Trama Root
Ancestor Moth Wing, Beehive Husk, Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Chicken's Egg, Cyrodilic Spadetail, Frost Salts, Glowing Mushroom, Histcarp, Human Heart, Mora Tapinella, Netch Jelly, River Betty, Salt Pile, Skeever Tail, Slaughterfish Egg, Snowberries, Spawn Ash, Troll Fat, Tundra Cotton, Vampire Dust, White Cap, Wisp Wrappings
Buying Many Ingredients Efficiently
The simplest way to get any vendor to restock is to save the game, attack the merchant, and then reload. This will reset both the merchant's inventory as well as their gold available.
If you prefer a method that doesn't rely on a glitch, ingredient shops replenish their stocks every 48 hours. Markarth is exactly 25.5 hours away from Riften, so fast traveling from Markarth to Riften will make sure you get into town during the same time you left plus 1.5 hours, a day later. Thus, you can create a 51-hour round trip circuit between the two cities if you have large amounts of materials to buy or sell. This will cut down on your waiting for shops to be open if you arrive after business hours.
The following races have an initial skill bonus to Alchemy:
- Lami in Morthal (Common)
- Arcadia in Whiterun (Expert)
- Milore IenthDB in Raven Rock (Expert)
- Babette in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary (Master)
- De Rerum Dirennis
- A Game at Dinner
- Herbalist's Guide to Skyrim
- Mannimarco, King of Worms
- Song of the Alchemists
- +1 Alchemy reward for completing the quest Rare Gifts by bringing the book Song of the Alchemists to Lami. Reading this skill book can also provide +1 Alchemy.
- +1 Alchemy reward for completing the quest Dungeon Delving (Caves) by finding the Ring of Pure Mixtures for Frida in Dawnstar.
- +1 Alchemy reward (as well as +1 to all other stealth skills) from Inge Six Fingers (Bards College) for completing the quest Finn's Lute.
- +5 Alchemy reward (as well as +5 to all other stealth skills) by selecting "The Path of Shadow" from the Oghma Infinium after completing the quest Discerning the Transmundane.
Gaining Skill XP
- Alchemy experience gains are proportional to the gold cost of the potion being brewed. Details of the gold cost calculation are provided at Alchemy Effects.
- Fortify Alchemy enchanted apparel (Hand/Head/Ring/Amulet) with a high combined bonus (+100% or more) greatly increases the effectiveness of alchemy training. It is recommended to level Enchanting first for this purpose. +100% means double the value and thus twice as much skill XP per potion brewed.
- Get the Alchemist, Physician, Benefactor and Poisoner perks as soon as they unlock while training.
- The most expensive single effects (using standard ingredients) are Paralyze, Damage Magicka Regen, Invisibility, and Slow. Since the effect costs are additive, a potion with more effects may have higher sell value than a potion with only one of these high value effects.
- Using the Giant's Toe ingredient to create a Fortify Health potion results in potions that cost 5.9 times more than standard Fortify Health potions, therefore those potions are more valuable than Paralyze potions. This means that the most expensive potions (resulting in maximum XP gain) will always include Giant's Toe in some way. For example, according to this app, the highest value potions that you can create will be:
- With the Hearthfire add-on, Salmon Roe (when used to create a water breathing potion) is far more valuable than Giant's Toe for creating the most expensive potions, but that ingredient is very hard to obtain in large quantities. The reason for this is that the Fortify Magicka and Waterbreathing duration values appear to have been swapped with one another, as Fortify Magicka is normally 60 seconds, while Waterbreathing is normally 5. In particular, combining Salmon Roe, Histcarp and any ingredient containing Regenerate Magicka creates the most valuable potion that can be crafted. A particularly good way to produce potions is using Windstad Manor as both Histcarp and Salmon can be grown in the fish hatchery (using Unrelenting Force to obtain the roe) and Regenerate Magicka ingredients such as Jazbay Grapes can be grown in the garden. All of these ingredients will respawn every three days, providing an easy means to level up Alchemy very rapidly. The Unofficial Hearthfire Patch swaps the duration values of Salmon Roe's Fortify Magicka and Waterbreathing effects, bringing the value of potions which make use of it back in line with similar potions which don't.
- With the Hearthfire add-on, an easy way to get an initial boost to your Alchemy skill at the start of the game is to catch 3-8 leaping salmon on your way to Whiterun, then buy some Garlic from Carlotta Valentia's stall and collect the Nordic Barnacles from the pond below the bridge into Dragonsreach.
- With the Dragonborn add-on, Boar Tusk (when used to create fortify health or stamina) is equal to Giant's Toe, but when used to fortify health and stamina is greater than Giant's Toe in value.
- Rather than worry about which ingredients to buy, it is probably best just to buy all the ingredients from any alchemist merchant except the most expensive (Daedra Heart, Frost Salts, and Void Salts) because the money made back from selling potions will allow you to empty the merchant of all the ingredients they have as well as all of their gold. Just work through the whole inventory making potions for maximum XP.
- With the Hearthfire add-on installed, farming becomes an option. Both the exterior garden and the greenhouse add-ons to the player-built homes allow for the growing of certain alchemy ingredients, and some of the most valuable two-ingredient potion effects can be made from those grown in the new planters.
- Fully clearing the dungeon during the Frostflow Abyss quest not only yields close to 100 Glowing Mushrooms but also over 400 Chaurus Eggs with the expensive Invisibility effect.
- Fast and easy method to train alchemy using all your ingredients:
- Identify as many effects of the ingredients you wish to use as possible (definitely necessary if you don't look them up).
- Find the highest value effect to brew from your available categories list. Select two ingredients, one of which should have another relatively expensive effect. Try to avoid rare ingredients or generally those that you will need later (like those with Fortify Enchanting/Smithing/Carry Weight effects).
- Go to the category of the other expensive effect, select a third ingredient and brew the potion. Repeat.
- If you want to train both through skill usage and via a trainer, you can brew your potions at Arcadia's Cauldron in Whiterun. Arcadia is an Expert Alchemy trainer, so you can pay her to train, which will increase the gold she has to buy absurdly expensive and useless potions. After joining the Dark Brotherhood, you can continue this process with Babette, who is the Master Alchemy trainer in the game.
While this method is unlikely to produce the best potion values possible, it requires no planning or selective ingredient gathering, potentially saving much time. Try to use more valuable ingredients, like Giants' Toes.
One achievement is related to Alchemy:
- Additional effects add to a potion's value regardless of whether the effect is negative or positive.
- Dwarven Oil and Taproot have exactly the same effects so you can make a high value potion with just these two items.
- Guards will talk about your Alchemy skill if it is level 30 or higher: "Fancy yourself an alchemist, hmm? Never could get the hang of that." and "Hey, you mix potions, right? Can you brew me an ale?"
- There are (according to preliminary calculations) 21974 distinct and efficient alchemy recipes possible in Skyrim only using the ingredients provided at the game's release on 11/11/11. "Distinct" means order of ingredient listing is ignored. "Efficient" means each ingredient contributes at least one effect the mixture would otherwise lack.
- Note that the Purity perk will reduce your ability to earn money via Alchemy, since potions or poisons that mix positive and negative effects gain their value from all of their effects, and Purity removes the conflicting ones without any compensation.
- Vampire players receive an additional 25% increase to the strength of any potion (when consumed) or enchantment (when equipped), if you have the Necromage perk. Therefore vampire characters with Necromage are able to reach higher potion strengths. The added strength of the enchantment or potion will show up on your "Active Effects" list when used.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.2.3 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; Necromage no longer boosts the power of spells and enchantments used on a vampire player.
- Fortify Archery potions affect all types of weapons.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Fortify One-handed potions won't affect daggers.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Skyrim Alchemy Lab— online calculator including Dawnguard and Hearthfire ingredients, plus saveable recipe list
- AlcheMoney Skyrim Alchemy Calculator (open source)
- Darliandor's Alchemy Lab - Alchemy Laboratory Wizard - includes Dawnguard and Hearthfire ingredients
- Skyrim Online Alchemy Tool
- Skyrim Alchemist - app for iPhone or iPad
- Skyrim Herbarium - app for Windows Phone 7
- Skyrim Alchemy Free - app for Android