|1st||Damage Health (12.6×)|
Nirnroot is a bright green plant normally found growing near water. They glow, making them easier to locate at night, and also emit a unique chiming sound. While in-game text claims that nirnroot does not regrow, it actually does regrow normally like other plants. A related plant is crimson nirnroot, which has nearly identical alchemical properties (only details of the Damage Health effect differ). They can be combined to make a four-effect potion.
Damage Health poisons made using nirnroot have the same strength as ones made using standard Damage Health ingredients. However, the gold value of such poisons is 12.6 times larger than standard ones. See the effect page for details.
|Desired Effect||Combine with:|
|Damage Health||Damage Stamina||Invisibility||Resist Magic||Crimson Nirnroot (3.0×) (3.0×)|
|Desired Effect||Combine with:|
|Damage Health||Resist Magic||Void Salts|
|Damage Stamina||Invisibility||Ash Creep ClusterDB|
22 guaranteed samples can be found in 19 different locations. Locations with multiple samples are:
- 3 on an island north of Dawnstar (The Pale)
- 2 in Angeline's Aromatics (Solitude)
- 2 in Sarethi Farm (The Rift)
- 2 in Sinderion's Field Laboratory (Blackreach)
It is categorized as a rare ingredient, meaning that most apothecary merchants have a 21% chance of carrying 1-4 samples. In addition, it may be randomly found only in rare-type apothecary's satchels. Other possible locations for already-harvested samples include:
- 1-2 guaranteed samples are found on several dead alchemists, including the one found at Clearpine Pond.
161 nirnroot plants can be found in 85 different locations. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
- 9 around Sarethi Farm (The Rift)
- 8 around Northwatch Keep (Haafingar)
- 6 around Steepfall Burrow (Haafingar)
- 5 around the Dawnstar Sanctuary (The Pale)
- 4 around Bruca's Leap Redoubt (The Reach)
- 4 around Evergreen Grove (Falkreath Hold)
- 3 around the Abandoned Shack (Hjaalmarch)
- 3 around Bleakcoast Cave (Winterhold)
- 3 around Bleakwind Basin (Whiterun Hold)
- 3 around Brinewater Grotto (Haafingar)
- 3 around Broken Oar Grotto (Haafingar)
- 3 around Gloomreach (The Reach)
- 3 around Heartwood Mill (The Rift)
- 3 centered 1120 feet northwest of Mor Khazgur (The Reach)
- 3 around Ravenscar Hollow (Haafingar)
- 3 around Redoran's Retreat (Whiterun Hold)
- 3 centered 870 feet west-northwest of Rimerock Burrow (Haafingar)
- 3 around the Wreck Of The Brinehammer (The Pale)
- 3 around the Wreck of the Icerunner (Hjaalmarch)
- Few and Far Between: Help Ingun restock Elgrim's rare ingredients.
- 20 samples are needed for this quest.
- Nirnroot can be sold to Avrusa Sarethi at Sarethi Farm for the quest Gather Wheat.
- Nirnroot and crimson nirnroot are not affected by the Alchemy perk Green Thumb, and therefore even with the perk, you still only collect a single sample from each plant. However, with the Dragonborn expansion, there are several regular nirnroot plants that can be found in Solstheim which yield multiple samples of the ingredient.
- An otherwise typical nirnroot plant within a hollow log on a small island east-southeast of the Wreck of The Pride of Tel Vos and due west of Winterhold cannot be harvested.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- At times, the glow emitted by a nirnroot may not disappear.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.6.87 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- Sometimes nirnroot becomes unharvestable; even though the sound of being picked will play, it will not be added to your inventory, nor will the plant disappear. Saving and then reloading the game will make it harvest-able again (sometimes).