|Morthal, in Hjaalmarch
|MorthalExterior01, MorthalExterior02, MorthalExterior03, MorthalExterior04, MorthalExterior05, MorthalExterior06|
|Shops and Services|
Morthal, supposedly named after the great Nord hero Morihaus, is the capital of Hjaalmarch, although it is a fairly small, humble town of little economic or strategic importance besides its small lumber mill.
Sitting on the southern edge of the Drajkmyr marsh, dry ground can be hard to come by in Morthal. It is often shrouded in a thick fog, and ominous twisted trees grow from the surrounding marsh, giving it a foreboding appearance to approaching travelers. The torches of the town glowing in the fog often give the impression of wisps at a distance. Many choose to steer clear of the place altogether.
Morthal is a town shrouded in mystery. Its people are reclusive and wary of newcomers, and only a single lumber camp supports its weak economy. The Jarl is among the most relaxed in Skyrim when it comes to taxation, and as such Hjaalmarch is also the poorest of the nine Holds. The Hold is still part of the Empire, but the Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone is unapologetically vague in her enthusiasm for the Imperial Legate stationed in her dwelling. A number of the people in the town are concerned about the prospect of war. War brings outsiders, and outsiders are not a welcome sight in Morthal. Most would rather the conflict were kept outside their home, leaving them free to pursue their own interests.
The swampy lands immediately surrounding Morthal are rich in deathbells, swamp fungal pods, and giant lichen. Leveled creatures (trolls and a rare occurrence of chaurus in open space) are spawned there during nighttime.
* Lives here but operates the Thaumaturgist's Hut.
Quests Starting Here
- Laid to Rest: Investigate a tragic house fire, and discover an insidious plot against the town.
- Assist the people of Hjaalmarch: Assist the people of the hold. (radiant)
- Build Your Own Home: Construct a house for yourself.
- Pieces of the Past: Retrieve the scattered pieces of Mehrunes' Razor and reforge this deadly blade.
- Kill Lurbuk: Silence a terrible bard, permanently.
- Rising at Dawn: Track down Falion to rid yourself of vampirism.
|Quest Giver||Giver Location||Quest||Objective(s)||Requirement|
|Aslfur||Highmoon Hall||Build Your Own Home: Construct a house for yourself. (HF)||
||Laid to Rest|
|Falion||Falion's House||Falion's Secret: Investigate Falion's curious activities.|
|Gorm||Moorside Inn||For the Good of Morthal: Deliver a letter to Captain Aldis in Solitude.||
|Idgrod Ravencrone||Highmoon Hall||Thane of Hjaalmarch: Gain the title of Thane of Hjaalmarch. (radiant)||
||Laid to Rest|
|Idgrod the Younger||Highmoon Hall||Delivery: Deliver an item to an associate. (radiant)||
|Lami||Jorgen and Lami's House||Rare Gifts: Do a favor by finding a rare item. (radiant)||
|Sorli the Builder||Highmoon Hall||Thane of Hjaalmarch: Gain the title of Thane of Hjaalmarch. (radiant)||
||The Battle for Fort Snowhawk or Season Unending|
- Just outside of town to the southeast, a Nordic barrow can be found, guarded by a leveled skeleton. Inside, a copy of the Illusion skill book The Black Arts On Trial rests atop a shelf. To the left, the body of a novice conjurer with a dagger in his chest can be found in front of an open tomb, next to a table with a Scroll of Turn Lesser Undead on top of it, and a Staff of Revenants.
- With Hearthfire, you can purchase a plot of land in Hjaalmarch to build a house on.