|Dwemer Artifact: Keening (0006a13c)
|Tempering||Not possible (See Bugs)|
|Charge/Cost = Uses||0/1|
Keening is a unique dagger crafted by the Dwemer Lord Kagrenac. Keening, Sunder and Wraithguard are the three legendary tools created to control the Heart of Lorkhan. Arniel Gane, who is researching what happened to the Dwemer, had Keening brought to Skyrim during the quest Arniel's Endeavor. His goal is to use it in an experiment to finally solve the mystery of the Dwemer's disappearance.
Before the completion of the quest Arniel's Endeavor, Keening has a "Mortal Wound" effect, lowering maximum health by 5 points as long as it is equipped.
- Keening also previously appeared in TES III: Morrowind. Unlike many of the recurring artifacts that appear in Skyrim, it retains almost an exact physical resemblance to the item found in the older game, albeit with different enchantments.
- When usable (see bug below), the enchantment delivers "Keening's Sting" on every hit. Visually, it appears to combine the three special draining effects together. It can be resisted with magic resistance.
- Keening may fall through the floor at the end of Arniel's Endeavor.
- Keening can be placed upon a weapon rack, but it won't stay there. This usually results in the loss of the dagger when it falls off into unreachable areas.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Keening's enchantment has a charge capacity of zero, making it unusable under normal circumstances.
- Keening cannot be improved at the grindstone.