Skyrim:Joining the Stormcloaks
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Head to Windhelm and speak with Ulfric Stormcloak.
- Speak with Galmar Stone-Fist.
- Travel to Serpentstone Isle.
- Kill the Ice Wraith.
- Take the oath.
Proceed to Windhelm and enter the Palace of the Kings. If this is your first time in the palace, then Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak and his lieutenant, Galmar Stone-Fist, will have a long conversation concerning the war. Speak with Ulfric, who recognizes you from Helgen and will direct you to speak with his lieutenant. Galmar will ask you why you want to join, then tell you that to prove yourself worthy of joining the Stormcloaks, you must travel to the Serpentstone Isle and defeat an Ice Wraith. He will also give you an Elixir of Resist Cold and three Ice Wraith Banes, both of which can be incredibly helpful on this quest if you are at a low level.
Test Your Mettle
Travel to the Serpentstone Isle, located far north of Windhelm. Once you're there, kill the Ice Wraith. Using a fire spell or adding the Ice Wraith Bane to your weapon will make the fight easier. Remember to use the resist frost potion before you engage if you need it. You can also find the Serpent Stone while there.
The Victorious Return
Travel back to the Palace of Kings to speak with Galmar. When you return, Galmar and Ulfric will be discussing your next mission for the Stormcloaks. Galmar will express his surprise at seeing you return and ask you to take the Stormcloak oath:
- "I do swear my blood and honor to the service of Ulfric Stormcloak..."
- "...Jarl of Windhelm and true High King of Skyrim."
- "As Talos is my witness, may this oath bind me to death and beyond..."
- "...even to my lord as to my fellow brothers and sisters in arms."
- "All hail the Stormcloaks, the true sons and daughters of Skyrim!"
Repeat the oath as Galmar says it and he will reward you with Fur Boots, a Stormcloak Cuirass, Fur Gauntlets and a Hide Helmet.
Taking the oath will cause you to automatically fail the quest Joining the Legion. However, should you still wish to join the Imperial Legion instead, the next quest offers you an opportunity to do so.
Upon completion of the quest and repeating the oath you will be awarded the following:
- Hide Helmet
- Fur Gauntlets
- Stormcloak Cuirass
- Fur Boots
"You're a Stormcloak now, you ought to look the part. "--Galmar Stone-Fist
One achievement is unlocked at the end of this quest:
- The Serpent Stone can be found on Serpentstone Isle.
- After this quest, the Stormcloaks will begin to refer to you as "Unblooded".
- The German version of the quest name is "So jung und schon bei den Sturmmänteln?", which is a take-off of the German translation of Princess Leia's famous Star Wars quote to Luke, "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" The word "Sturmmänteln" (Stormcloak) is substituted for the original "Sturmtruppen", however.
- Galmar would not complete Joining the Stormcloaks properly if Season Unending was an active quest
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 150.