Skyrim:Glory of the Dead
- Have Eorlund Gray-Mane mend Wuuthrad.
- Return Wuuthrad to Ysgramor's Tomb.
- Make your way through the tomb.
- Meet Kodlak.
- Fight one final spirit.
- Release Kodlak.
After the events of Purity of Revenge, Vilkas will run towards the Skyforge to participate in the late Harbinger Kodlak Whitemane's funeral. The ceremony is to be held near Eorlund Gray-Mane's smithy. All of the Companions will be present, along with the Jarl, steward and the local priestess of Kynareth. Kodlak is placed above the forge, and the ceremony ends with Aela the Huntress lighting the fire, symbolizing a final goodbye. After the ritual, Eorlund will seek you out, asking for the fragments of Wuuthrad and Kodlak's secret fragment from his chambers. Retrieve the fragment from the end table in his room. Kodlak's Journal, also in the end table, offers some insights on him and his visions. Return to Eorlund with the fragment. When he accepts it, he will inform you that your Shield-Siblings have gone to the Underforge for a gathering and suggests you join them.
Wuuthrad Finally Returned!
You will find the three members of the Circle, Farkas, Vilkas and Aela, talking around the blood fountain. They will agree that Kodlak's death was avenged but his soul now belongs to Hircine, and is destined to hunt in Hircine's Hunting Grounds forever, rather than his desired afterlife in Sovngarde. While they regret the events, they can see no solution until Eorlund Gray-Mane enters with the repaired Wuuthrad on his back. He will quickly announce that it is entirely possible to grant Kodlak his final wish and hand Wuuthrad to you. Your allies will then take off towards the legendary Ysgramor's Tomb.
Ghosts of the Companions
As soon as you enter the tomb, Vilkas will approach and warn you about the dangers ahead. He also reveals that he will take no part in the task, as he has too much grief in his heart and regret for his vengeful acts at Driftshade Refuge. Activate the Ysgramor statue, which will place Wuuthrad on the statue and lower the wall to the north. You may reclaim Wuuthrad by activating the statue again; the wall will remain open. Proceed forward through the spider webs, followed by Aela the Huntress and Farkas. Before long, you will encounter several Companion ghosts who will test your courage. Make your way to the large room encircling a pond, where Farkas will disclose that after the events back in Dustman's Cairn he’s been deathly afraid of spiders. Consequently, he will proceed no further and instead runs back to Vilkas. With Aela the Huntress as your only ally, hack your way through the spider web and face a huge nest of poison-spitting frostbite spiders. The second room is sealed off, so pull the chain and go down the stairs for more battles against Companion ghosts. In the third chamber, use the handle on the pedestal to access the northern room, where four more ghosts await. Dispose of them and find the Two-handed skill book The Legendary Sancre Tor before entering the burial chamber.
The Trip to Sovngarde
You will find the ghost of Kodlak Whitemane warming his hands near the Flame of the Harbinger. After explaining that the room is, in fact, swarming with the ghosts of his predecessors, whom you can't see, he will ask you if you still own the Glenmoril Witch heads. He will then ask you to toss one into the Flame, in an attempt to cure him of his werewolf curse. After doing so, Kodlak's wolf spirit will be released and immediately attack. After the battle, Kodlak will thank you and name you the new leader of the Companions. He will then travel to Sovngarde and finally find his peace, completing the quest.
Harbinger of the Companions
You can now speak to Aela, who will recognize your new position and tell you she is going to stay in the tomb for a while longer, for further studies. If you linger there, Vilkas and Farkas will arrive and also say they want to stay. All three will then become available as followers.
You can cure yourself of lycanthropy before you leave the tomb if you wish. If you don't, you will be required to cure two other Companions of their lycanthropy before you will again have the option to do so. Consider that choosing to remain a werewolf is the only way to access the quest Totems of Hircine, which grants unique abilities you may use while in beast form. You may come back to cure your lycanthropy later. To cure yourself now, throw another Glenmoril Witch head into the fire. Your wolf spirit will emerge. Kill it to rid yourself of being a werewolf permanently. If Aela, Vilkas or Farkas are around, they will aid in the fight.
After you've finished, locate the chest on the northeastern ledge and claim the Shield of Ysgramor, along with some valuable loot, then exit through the nearby door by activating a chain. Go up the stairs, and through another short hallway before arriving at another wall with a chain. Pulling the chain opens the wall to the first chamber in the tomb as well as the wall on the opposite side. Before leaving the tomb, you can take Wuuthrad from Ysgramor's statue if you didn't earlier. Exit the tomb through the western passageway, which was previously inaccessible. Follow the set of stairs outside up the mountain to discover a word wall which teaches part of the Animal Allegiance shout.
One achievement is unlocked when you complete this quest and finish the questline:
- Aela and Farkas, as quest-specific followers, behave differently than "permanent" followers:
- Neither of them will enter sneak mode when you do, and when either can see you, the sneak eye remains open.
- If you get too close to them while sneaking, they will yell "Stay away from me!" as if you were going to pickpocket them.
- Accidentally attacking either of them might turn them hostile.
- Aela, Farkas, (and Vilkas after he speaks to you at the entry) will only repeat "For Kodlak!" during the quest, and won't have any dialogue options, including skill training.
- You can bring any other follower with you and they will help clear the tomb. However, at the final fight they may ignore Kodlak's wolf spirit as if it were invisible to them. If you choose to cure yourself, they will fight your released spirit normally.
- The quest may not start if you are in combat with Eorlund Gray-Mane
- This bug is fixed by version 220.127.116.11.8 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- To start the quest, first select Eorlund and enter
killin the console, followed by enter
setstage C06 0and finally
- Kodlak's ghost may not appear when entering the final chamber.
- Using the console command
setstage C06 60will allow you to put the witch's head in the fire, at which point Kodlak's wolf spirit will appear. After defeating the spirit, Kodlak may still not appear, at which point the console command
setstage C06 200will end the quest as usual, with Aela exclaiming that she heard Kodlak pronounce you leader.
- Using the console command
- If you leave the Underforge while the circle is talking after the funeral, the dialogue may not continue when you return.
- If you follow the Circle members heading to Ysgramor's Tomb after Wuuthrad has been assembled, the group may eventually get stuck running back and forth between Dawnstar and the mountain range about halfway towards Driftshade Refuge.
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1.
|Prev: Purity of Revenge||Up: Companions||Next: None|