Garlic is harvested from garlic braids found hanging to dry inside homes and other buildings, typically side by side with elves ear and frost mirriam. It is not possible to harvest fresh garlic directly from plants.
369 guaranteed samples found in 140 different locations. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
- 24 in the Thalmor Embassy (Haafingar)
- 16 in Boulderfall Cave (The Rift)
- 11 in House Gray-Mane (Whiterun)
- 9 in the Blue Palace (Solitude)
It is categorized as a common ingredient, meaning that all apothecary merchants have a 36% chance of carrying 1-5 samples. In addition, it may be randomly found in some barrels and in apothecary's satchels.
490 garlic braids can be found in 191 different locations, which include nearly every home and inn. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
- 20 in the Thalmor Embassy (Haafingar)
- 9 inside East Empire Company Warehouse (Haafingar)
- 8 in Vittoria Vici's House (Solitude)
- 7 in Bits and Pieces (Solitude)
- 7 in Black-Briar Lodge (Riften)
- 7 in Fletcher (Solitude)
- 7 in Fort Dunstad Commander's Quarters (The Pale)
- 7 in the Hall of the Dead (Solitude)
- 7 in Proudspire Manor (Solitude)
- Garlic is also used in cooking, where it can be combined with other raw food to create beef stew, horker stew, or tomato soup.
- With the addition of baking in Hearthfire, garlic can be used with other raw ingredients to create chicken dumpling and garlic bread.
- Because it is used in cooking, it is also categorized as raw food, and therefore can be sold to innkeepers as well as apothecary merchants.