Note: This quest does not appear in your journal.
- Discover a strange gauntlet in The Midden Dark.
- Investigate the surrounding area to find a key and an incident report.
- Retrieve the missing rings mentioned, located in the Arcanaeum.
- Return to the gauntlet and place the rings in their correct places.
- Decide whether to kill or help release Velehk Sain.
The Midden Dark
While exploring The Midden Dark beneath the College of Winterhold, you will discover a circular room littered with blood and skeletons. In the center of the room sits a small statue in the form of a gauntlet. On the table nearby there will be a key and an incident report which describes a failed summoning ritual and four rings.
The rings mentioned can be found in a locked chest, located in the Arcanaeum. You must use the provided key in order to obtain the four ornamental rings: Pithi's Ring, Treoy's Ring, Balwen's Ring, and Katarina's Ring. Once you have obtained the rings, return to the gauntlet in the Midden Dark. Note that the rings are owned, and removing them from the chest is considered stealing.
Place the rings on the gauntlet by activating each finger. On the Index Finger goes Katarina's Ring, on the Middle Finger goes Treoy's Ring, on the Ring Finger goes Balwen's Ring, and on the Little Finger goes Pithi's Ring.
Once all four rings are placed on the appropriate fingers, the fingers will curl into a fist, and a Dremora pirate named Velehk Sain will be summoned. He will bargain with you for his release, offering treasure from his pirating days in exchange. You can choose out of two options:
- Unlike other quest items, the rings can be removed from your inventory. Velehk Sain cannot be summoned without the rings, so you should be careful not to misplace them.
- The rings are ornamental and cannot be worn by you. They will be stored with miscellaneous items in your inventory.
- If you are quick enough and have a strong enough weapon, you can release him, get the map, and then kill him as he disappears. His body will vanish before it can be looted. However, if you exit the conversation after you pick the option to release him and before you get the map, you can kill him quickly enough for his body to be looted.
- It IS however possible to pickpocket Velehk Sain for his weapons and armor (though not the Daedra Heart, obviously) with the Misdirection and Perfect Touch perks. Simply kneel behind the spot where he appears, go through the dialogue as if you're going to let him go, and leave the conversation immediately after you select "Velehk Sain I release you." Then simply pickpocket him for all available items. This will cause a glitch however which makes him start all the dialogue over again, simply go through and release him once again, then go claim the treasure
- The game doesn't trigger the treasure to appear as soon as you select the "Velehk Sain, I release you" dialogue option. Instead, the trigger is at the end of the dialogue line, after Sain says "See you on the other side, mortal". The implication of this is that if you're pressing the activate button to skip through the dialogue more quickly, you can actually cause the game to not trigger the treasure to appear. If you're electing to take the deal, allow Sain to speak instead of skipping through the dialogue to ensure you get the treasure.
- If Urag gro-Shub catches you stealing the rings from the chest in The Arcaneum, he will react by turning hostile, and remove them from your inventory. At that point they will no longer be obtainable, as they cannot be pickpocketed back. The only way to solve this is to reload a previous save.
- All of the quest stages are empty: 0, 10, 40, 50, 75, 80, 100.