Skyrim:Destruction Ritual Spell
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Faralda, who will give you a book.
- Visit Windward Ruins, activate the pedestal and cast a fire spell on it.
- Visit North Skybound Watch, same as before, but casting a frost spell.
- Visit Four Skull Lookout, same as before, but casting a shock spell.
- Learn the spell contained within the book.
Once your Destruction skill reaches 100, a new conversation option opens up with Faralda, the Destruction trainer at the College of Winterhold ("What else is there to be learned about Destruction magic?"). Selecting this option will result in Faralda giving you the book Power of the Elements. The incomplete book contains only a clue in the form of a poem:
- Northward, haunted northern coastline
- And south, Dwemer live and toil,
- A simple place, a shield from draft.
- At this stand wield mage's craft
- So fierce the sea will boil.
This clue points to Windward Ruins, a small barrow just southwest of Dawnstar. Inside the barrow is a pedestal upon which you can place the book. Once you have done so, cast any fire spell at either the book or pedestal. A small explosion will occur. Pick up the book again and you will notice that it has acquired a new page:
- Under Greybeards' morning shadow
- At this northern watch, long lost
- Nirn's hoary Throat does scrape the sky.
- Here unleash a chilling cry
- And gild this stand with frost.
The second pedestal is found at North Skybound Watch, another barrow on the southwestern slope of the Throat of the World, not far northeast of the starting town of Helgen. It is easiest to get there from Orphan Rock, as it is within sight of the fast travel point. The pedestal is on a stone lookout post. This time, cast any frost spell at the book or pedestal to receive the next clue:
- Over western river waters,
- By Karth bounded, south and north
- On mountains sits a humble crown.
- Sky's wrath on this stand bring forth
- To shake these snowcaps down.
This final clue points to Four Skull Lookout, another small barrow near Karthwasten and north of Karthspire in The Reach (east and slightly north of Markarth, directly East across the gorge from The Lover Stone). The pedestal is on the other side of the stone building. Casting any lightning spell at the book or pedestal completes it.
Pick up the book and read it to complete the quest. It will give you the spell "Fire Storm". The final entry after receiving the spell is:
- Elemental magic wielded,
- Elemental thoughts displayed.
- Havoc wrought as if for sport,
- Efforts to impress fall short.
- I'll merely use a blade.
- Seeking study, wanting learning,
- Recklessly aroused my rage!
- My pupil you would be, or more?
- Presume not of Shalidor,
- You feeble, foolish mage!
- Quickly dispatched, worthless weakling,
- Though this tome I gladly claim.
- A diamond in the rough, I find,
- Shining gem from feeble mind.
- Now die, and curse my name!
- Reading the completed book grants you the Fire Storm spell.
- Once you have completed this quest, Faralda will sell spell tomes for the other two Master-level Destruction spells (Lightning Storm and Blizzard).
- As dragon shouts are technically spells, they can be used to activate the pedestals.
- The quest only requires a skill level of 90, but Faralda's opening dialogue has a requirement of level 100, which is inconsistent with the quest and the other master level quests.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.6 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- There is a known bug in the lightning spell part of the quest where the book will not appear after casting a lightning spell and activating the pedestal.
- To fix any bugs, cast the lowest available spell at the book, especially for lightning (Sparks).
- The bug may actually be with the frost spell not activating properly, even if it appears to have done (the stage being marked as completed in the journal). If you return to North Skybound Watch and redo the frost spell altar, and then return to Four Skull Lookout, it should work.
- The completed quest journal entry may not appear as the latest finished quest but will be in order the moment you receive the book from Faralda.
- There is a bug in the french version of the game. After you use the frost spell, the third page lead you to the "eastern river waters" instead of "western river waters".