Skyrim:Dawnguard Rune Axe
|Artifact: Dawnguard Rune Axe (xx01668c)
|Type||One-handed War Axe|
|Tempering||Steel Ingot||Steel Smithing|
- "An axe imbued with magic fueled by the destruction of the unholy. With every victorious blow against an undead creature, its power grows." — Florentius Baenius
The Dawnguard Rune Axe is a powerful war axe received as part of the Lost Relic quest. It is the only artifact in the game that is a war axe.
Its enchantment deals 10 extra sun damage to undead for every 10 undead killed with the axe since the last sunrise. Consequently, the enchantment becomes more powerful the more it is used, up to a maximum of 100 extra damage. This axe can be extremely powerful against groups of undead, as the enchantment has an area of effect. It also doesn't need to be recharged with soul gems.
In addition, this axe instantly shatters any ward spells it hits.
- The counter in the item's description will continue to count past 100 kills, even though no extra damage is gained.
- You can easily raise your kill count to 100 by raising your own undead, then killing them with the axe. If you have access to Dead Thrall, you can reuse the same corpse indefinitely.
- The kill count will reset every morning at 5am, and the first time you equip the axe after midnight.
- The sun damage enchantment is affected by the Necromage perk, increasing its maximum damage to 125 at 100 kills.
- Myrwatch's galleryCC contains a special holder for this item.
- Smithing the Rune Axe will prevent the kill counter from resetting.