This article is about the faction. For other uses, see Dawnguard (disambiguation).
The Dawnguard are a group of vampire hunters living and operating from Fort Dawnguard. You may join them to fight against Lord Harkon and his plot to blot out the sun. The Dawnguard was re-formed by Isran in order to combat the growing vampire menace in Skyrim, and initially only consists of him, Celann, and Durak when you arrive. As time passes (regardless of which faction you join), more people join the Dawnguard. The Dawnguard also keeps two armored huskies as war dogs, three armored trolls (tamed by Gunmar), and partially shelters several refugees who fled there for relief from the vampire scourge. However, the latter are not permitted to enter the fort itself.
The Dawnguard's base of operations is the ancient Fort Dawnguard in Dayspring Canyon in the extreme southeast of Skyrim. Built in the Second Era by the Jarl of Riften, the castle served to contain the Jarl's son after he became a vampire. To prevent his son from leaving the castle, the Jarl hired a group of mercenaries known as the Dawnguard, who extended their purpose to root out any vampiric presence in Skyrim. However, the group eventually had to kill their charge, forcing the Jarl to disband them and leave the fort abandoned. At some point in the Fourth Era, Isran, a former Vigilant of Stendarr, rediscovered and repaired the fort and reformed the ancient order.
You may join the Dawnguard by talking to Isran at Fort Dawnguard after the Dawnguard add-on is installed; however, you will be expelled from the guild and unable to rejoin if you join the Volkihar vampires during Bloodline. Furthermore, you will be unable to continue the questline if you become an ordinary vampire, but can resume after you cure your vampirism.
These benefits should be compared to those offered by the Volkihar.
- Master Level trainers in Archery, Heavy Armor, Restoration, and Smithing, three of whom also serve as merchants.
- Ability to craft crossbows and bolts.
- Access to Ruunvald Excavation, a dungeon which otherwise remains inaccessible.
- Able to hire armored trolls for 500 gold from Gunmar.
- Access to numerous followers.
- Endless supply of radiant quests.
- Able to hire huskies for free.
The primary Dawnguard quest line consists of twelve quests; multiple radiant quests may also be completed over the course of the quest line. Three achievements (80 points) are unlocked by Dawnguard quests.
|Dawnguard: Speak with the leader of the Dawnguard.|
|Awakening: Find out what the vampires are looking for.||20 pts/Bronze|
|Bloodline: Choose your side!|
|A New Order: Recruit Isran's old allies for the Dawnguard.|
|Prophet: Find and rescue a Moth Priest from the vampires.|
|Chasing Echoes: Explore Castle Volkihar.|
|Scroll Scouting: Obtain all three Elder Scrolls for Dexion Evicus.|
|Seeking Disclosure: Bring the Elder Scrolls to Dexion.|
|Beyond Death: Search for Valerica in the Soul Cairn.||20 pts/Bronze|
|Unseen Visions: Perform a ceremony to read the Elder Scroll.|
|Touching the Sky: Find and retrieve Auriel's Bow.|
|Kindred Judgement: Confront Lord Harkon.||40 pts/Silver|
- Ancient Technology: Retrieve Dwemer schematics to improve technology for the Dawnguard. (radiant)
- Bolstering the Ranks: Find Florentius Baenius and recruit him into the Dawnguard.
- Cleansing Light: Kill the boss of a vampire lair. (radiant)
- Hide and Seek: Kill a vampire masquerading as a citizen. (radiant)
- Hunting the Monster: Destroy the vampire target. (radiant)
- A Jarl's Justice: Kill a vampire masquerading as a Visiting Advisor. (radiant)
- Lost Relic: Retrieve a relic of the original Dawnguard. (radiant)
- Preemptive Strike: Destroy the vampire before it turns its allies. (radiant)
- Rescue: Rescue a victim from vampires. (radiant)
- If you choose to join the Volkihar vampires, all members of the Dawnguard will become permanently hostile towards you, even if you finish the questline or decide to become mortal again. However, using a Calm spell, it is possible to engage them in conversation. However, if used on Isran, you will still not be able to join the Dawnguard.
Fort Dawnguard, home of the faction
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|