In Elder Scrolls Online, there are six crafting professions. Skill points are needed to fully develop crafting skills, but you are not limited to a single profession, and can choose to dabble in all of them, or specialize in a few professions. To craft, a crafting station of appropriate kind must be found.
Crafting materials can be gathered from the world, such as plants or ore, or looted from enemies. The primary use is to create items, however several crafting skills allow extracting of materials from items or researching traits they possess, which destroys those items. Some even let you improve existing items.
- Alchemy: The practice of binding of two or more Reagents with a Solvent to make potions and poisons.
- Blacksmithing: The art of converting raw materials into and improving upon heavy armor and metalic weapons.
- Clothing: The art of converting raw materials into and improving upon light and medium armor.
- Enchanting: The practice of binding Runes into Glyphs used to enhance weapons, armor, and jewelry.
- Jewelry Crafting: An upcoming skill in the Summerset chapter which will allow the crafting and improvement of Jewelry.
- Provisioning: The art of converting Ingredients into ingestible Foods and Drinks.
- Woodworking: The art of converting raw wood into and improving upon Staves, Bows, and Shields.
Crafting Stations are places at which you can partake in the crafting professions. Each type of crafting station is most commonly found at a particular type of store: alchemy stations are found at apothecaries, blacksmithing stations are found at smithies, clothing stations are found at smithies and clothiers, enchanting stations are found at chironasia, and woodworking stations are found at carpentries and some smithies. Cooking fires for provisioning are most commonly found in inns and camps. Besides that, special Crafting Sites are always equipped with blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking stations for crafting items in specific Sets.
Crafting writs are repeatable quests available to any certified crafter, which can be taken from the Crafting Writs boards located in major towns and cities. Successful completion of a crafting writ will reward experience, gold, a consumable box of supplies, and inspiration for that profession. One writ for each profession may be completed per day. Days (for writs) reset at 6:00 AM GMT, (1:00AM EST/10:00PM PST).
To accept crafting writs, you must become certified in your chosen professions. The certification process involves crafting an item for a master crafter, and serves as a tutorial to the crafting systems. If you are already an established crafter, and have reached Rank 10 in a particular crafting skill line, you can skip the tutorial section and become certified immediately.
- Crafting Certification: Meet the master crafters and become certified in your chosen professions.
- Alchemist Certification: Gain certification in the Alchemy profession.
- Blacksmith Certification: Gain certification in the Blacksmithing profession.
- Clothier Certification: Gain certification in the Clothing profession.
- Enchanter Certification: Gain certification in the Enchanting profession.
- Provisioner Certification: Gain certification in the Provisioning profession.
- Woodworker Certification: Gain certification in the Woodworking profession.
Consumables Crafting Writs
- Alchemist Writ: Fulfill a contract to deliver alchemical products.
- Enchanter Writ: Fulfill a contract to deliver enchanting items.
- Provisioner Writ: Fulfill a contract to deliver provisioner items.
Equipment Crafting Writs
- Blacksmith Writ: Fulfill a contract to deliver blacksmithing goods.
- Clothier Writ: Fulfill a contract to deliver clothing goods.
- Woodworker Writ: Fulfill a contract to deliver woodworking goods.
Crafting Survey Reports
The rewards for fulfilling crafting writs, except Provisioner writs, may randomly include Survey Reports, which are similar to Treasure Maps. When you receive one, a collection of high-yield gathering nodes are added to a specific location, identified by the symbol on the map. These high-yield nodes do not appear unless you have the corresponding survey. It is possible to be rewarded with the same report multiple times. If this occurs, the nodes will respawn, but possibly with a different configuration of materials.
Prior to One Tamriel, surveys would always be given for the zone where you were dropping off your writs, which was specific to your alliance up until the later ones in The Hollow City, Orsinium or Belkarth. Now you can receive surveys for any zone, including zones you have never visited. (Though you will not receive surveys for Wrothgar or Vvardenfell if you do not have access to the relevant DLCs.[verification needed — see ])
Provisioners do not receive survey reports, and instead have a chance of being rewarded Recipes when they turn in writs.
Turning in top-tier writs may sometimes reward you with a sealed request to create a master item.
- A Masterful Concoction: Concoct a specific Alchemical product.
- A Masterful Feast: Cook up a specific Provisioning product.
- A Masterful Glyph: Craft a specific Enchanting glyph.
- Masterful Leatherwear: Sew a specific Medium Armor.
- A Masterful Plate: Forge a specific Heavy Armor.
- A Masterful Shield: Construct a specific Shield.
- Masterful Tailoring: Sew a specific Light Armor.
- A Masterful Weapon: Forge a specific metal Weapon.
- A Masterful Weapon: Construct a specific wooden Weapon.
All six crafting professions use Inspiration for leveling purposes. Each profession uses the same amount of inspiration for all ranks as shown in the below table. Higher crafting ranks allow you to create higher level products and unlock more passive abilities in each profession. Inspiration is gained from performing crafting activities, such as creation, improvement, extraction, and refinement, as well as by completing writs. You gain more inspiration by crafting or deconstructing higher quality products. You can increase the amount of inspiration you earn in a few ways. 30 Champion Points in The Tower will grant you the Inspiration Boost perk, which increases gains by 20%. Playing as an Orc also grants you a natural 10% boost to inspiration via their innate Craftsman skill.
for Next Rank