|Location||Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary|
- Questions of Faith: Help your fellow Brotherhood member regain their faith in the guild.
During Welcome Home, Hildegard is too shy to greet you and instead hides in her cage in werewolf form. When you talk to her later, she'll say, "Oh, hello. Sorry about not greeting you earlier. I ... wasn't exactly in a talkative mood when you arrived."
- You seem nervous. Is everything all right?
- "I suppose. It's just, well, my condition. The lycanthropy.
- My transformations. I can't trigger them at will and they don't follow any pattern we've been able to discern. Venom called it a "divergent strain." I'm not sure what that means."
- So you could turn into a beast at any moment?
- "I guess so. Usually I can feel it coming, kind of like when Kor feels a storm in his big toe.
- As long as I can get out of the Sanctuary or into my cage before I lose control, I won't hurt anybody. At least, not any of the family."
- Ever thought about seeking a cure?
- "I don't think I want to be cured. The wolf is a part of me. It's who I am.
- I would like to learn to control it, though. Kor and Mirabelle think I'll get the hang of it eventually. Venom even keeps meticulous records every time I change."
- You don't seem like a typical assassin.
- "Neither do you, come to think of it. Is it bad to be ... different?
- I may not have the training or experience of some of the others, but Astara says I'm the best tracker in the family. Whenever a target tries to hide, I always find them."
- And you don't have a problem with killing?
- "The wolf kills. That is its purpose.
- Astara taught me that I become a wolf in order to accomplish what the Night Mother requests of her children. My prey already belongs to Sithis. The wolf just helps them find the Void."
- By ripping them apart?
- "I don't remember much of what the wolf does. Kor assures me that I'm never cruel when I send souls to Father. I trust my Brother. And I trust Astara. They saved me. Gave me something to believe in. For that, I'm happy to serve the Dark Brotherhood."
Questions of Faith
When spoken to at any point after agreeing to return to the Gold Coast, Hildegard has this to say:
- "I won't run off again. I promise. My place is with my family. No matter what happens.
- Still, I hate that the Chanter tricked me. I'm going to follow Kor's suggestion and stick a fork in the old fool. Or in this case, a very sharp knife."
- You said you were a danger to your wolf clan. Can you tell me about that?
- "I guess you never heard. I grew up ... different.
- My parents were Nords, but we followed a different path from most other Nords. We admired the were-beasts. Wanted to be like them. We ... drank their blood."
- And that's how you became a werewolf?
- "My clan were hunters. We worshiped Hircine. Becoming a werewolf was part of that. It was the way things were done.
- But I could not control my wolf form. I ... I hurt someone. Badly. After that, I ran away. To save them."
- And that's when Kor found you?
- "Not at first. I lived on my own, deep in the mountains. I was wild, feral. Then Kor found me. He took me in and gave me a family again. If not for him, I don't know where I'd be right now.
- Now if only I could make that damn Chanter pay ..."
A Special Request
When you have been promoted to the rank of Assassin, speak to Hildegard. She will say, "I overheard Astara taking. She praised your skill and obedience, which is a rare thing. You're really making a name for yourself and she appreciates it, even if she doesn't always show it. Keep it up. Just stay safe, all right?"
When you have returned from your mission at the Enclave of the Hourglass, Hildegard is sad to hear of Mirabelle's death, "Mirabelle ... But she was so strong. So ... Mirabelle. I hope she finds Cimbar in the Void."