This article is about the faction. For the Dark Brotherhood DLC pack, see Dark Brotherhood (DLC).
The Dark Brotherhood is a guild of assassins with holdings all over Tamriel. A DLC pack focused on the faction's activities in the Gold Coast region and across the rest of Tamriel was released in the second quarter of 2016.
- Story Quests
- Voices in the Dark: Draw the attention of the Brotherhood.
- Signed in Blood: Murder a noble in his own estate to seal your place in the Dark Brotherhood.
- Welcome Home: Introduce yourself to your new family.
- A Lesson in Silence: Silence a high-ranking priest who is spreading lies about the Dark Brotherhood.
- Questions of Faith: Help your fellow Brotherhood member regain their faith in the guild.
- A Special Request: Complete a high-profile contract... or two.
- Dark Revelations: Investigate the background of the Black Dragon.
- A Ghost from the Past: Accompany Green-Venom-Tongue on a journey to the past.
- The Wrath of Sithis: Ensure that the Black Hand's will is done at Knightsgrave.
- Filling the Void: One more soul needs to be sent to the Void to eliminate the powers threatening the Dark Brotherhood.
- The Litany of Blood
- Litany of Blood: You have received a strange tome from the Listener, containing mysterious clues.
- Sacrament: Sewer Tenement: Carry out a contract in an inhabited sewer system.
- Sacrament: Smuggler's Den: Carry out a contract at a smugglers' den.
- Sacrament: Trader's Cove: Carry out a contract at a secluded cove.
The Dark Brotherhood skill line consists of passive abilities. Of these, Blade of Woe acts as a synergy which can be activated when sneaking upon a Justice Neutral enemy.
|Name||Line Rank||Skill Rank||Description|
|Blade of Woe||1||||Call the weapon of the Dark Brotherhood to your hand and deliver a killing blow to an unsuspecting target. Experience from this target is reduced by 75%. This ability does not work on players or difficult targets.|
|Scales of Pitiless Justice||2||Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%.|
|5||Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 30%.|
|8||Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 40%.|
|11||Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 50%.|
|Padomaic Sprint||3||Grants Major Expedition, increasing your Movement Speed by 30% for 6 seconds after killing a Citizen.|
|6||Grants Major Expedition, increasing your Movement Speed by 30% for 8 seconds after killing a Citizen.|
|9||Grants Major Expedition, increasing your Movement Speed by 30% for 10 seconds after killing a Citizen.|
|12||Grants Major Expedition, increasing your Movement Speed by 30% for 12 seconds after killing a Citizen.|
|Shadowy Supplier||4||A contact from the Brotherhood provides beneficial items once per day. This contact is located in Outlaw Refuges, the Gold Coast Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, and the Hew's Bane Thieves Den.|
|Shadow Rider||7||Aggression radius from hostile monsters is decreased by 50% while mounted.|
|Spectral Assassin||10||15% chance to shroud you when using the Blade of Woe, shielding you from being witnessed and receiving a Bounty.|
Litany of Blood
After completing the first quests for the Dark Brotherhood, you can speak to Nevusa in a small enclave on the left side of the Sanctuary. She introduces you to the Litany of Blood. It holds a special assignment given by the Listener to those deemed worthy - to assassinate a number of persons throughout all faction zones. After killing each target, their ghostly image will appear on a pedestal. Executing all targets completes the Litany of Blood achievement, giving you the Executioner title and Cadaverous Assassin Polymorph.
For more information on the Litany, see the quest page.
All guilds use reputation for leveling purposes. Dark Brotherhood Reputation is earned by completing various quests and contracts for the guild. Most story quests reward 10, and some reward 20. The regular Marked for Death contracts reward 5 and the killing spree contracts reward 10. While the daily Black Sacrament contracts normally reward 10, they can reward up to 20 if all the optional objectives are completed.
for Next Rank
- Amelie Crowe
- Astara Caerellius
- Dark Guardian
- Elam Drals
- Lerexus Novation
- Lyra Viria
- Mirabelle Motierre
- Speaker Terenus
- Spectral Assassin
- Spectral Murderer
- Spectral Slayer
- Spectral Strangler
- Wrath of Sithis
- For historical information on the Dark Brotherhood, see the lore article.
- Justice, the crime and punishment system.