Oblivion talk:Bruma Recommendation
- 1 Nothing Happens
- 2 not recognized
- 3 Doesn't work
- 4 J'skar
- 5 Picture Tagline
- 6 Talking works
- 7 Conflicting statements
- 8 To avoid a theft stat take everything
- 9 Ancestor Guardian Attacks J'skar
- 10 Not just a pretty face
- 11 Volanaro not taking book - not necessarily a bug
- 12 Taking advantage of Chimelion Spell
- 13 Moved note.
- 14 Moved from page
- 15 Bruma recommendation bug?
- 16 Dispel is cast, aaaaaand nothing
- 17 Bruma Fault?
- Sure it's the right book? — Unsigned comment by Hashimashadoo (talk • contribs) at 22:19 on 2 April 2006
- Lockpicking worked just fine for me. Please don't panic when something just doesn't work out for you; it might work out for others. Errabee 08:32, 3 April 2006 (EDT)
Im having the exact same problem but i dont want to just reload, I havnt saved in a long time =( any suggestions?
same problem. Guess i need to reach the alteration level too.
- Appears to me that you have to steal the book during the day, or at least talk to Volanaro during the day, so that he tells you to meet him at night. Hasn't work after 11 PM for me either with picking the lock or casting the spell, when I waited for the noon next day - it worked.--Irfy 08:47, 17 August 2006 (EDT)
I have talked to Jeanne, I have the task. When I talk to Volanaro and ask him about J'skar, he just says I am not going to find him easily. Then.. nothing? I can get the book and still nothing. Help?
- Sounds like Volanaro's disposition to you is too low. His disposition has to be at least 70 for him to offer to help you. I'll add that detail to the page.--Nephele 01:55, 8 June 2006 (EDT)
When I meet with Volanaro after 10pm the J'skar talk option does not appear. I think I might have selected the option at first then interrupted Volanaro before he could compete the spell that's why the talk option does not appear again. Since I have nowhere near the mysticism skill to cast Dispel Other is there any other place the the Dispel Other scroll appears besides the Mystic Emporium? — Unsigned comment by SoulClap (talk • contribs)
- There are no guaranteed places where you can find a Dispel Other scroll. As long as you are at least level 6, they will randomly appear anywhere where scrolls are found (including merchants who sell scrolls), but you just need to keep checking and cross your fingers. But it also doesn't take that much mysticism skill to cast a dispel other spell yourself... it's just an apprentice level spell. Spend a few minutes chain-casting a detect life spell and you'll reach 25 in mysticism, a lot more easily than by searching for a scroll. --Nephele 16:15, 4 March 2007 (EST)
Why is the current tagline "Where a foreboding shadow hangs." under the picture of the Guild House? It does not seem to have anything to do with this particular quest, that being a rather light-hearted prank. Maybe it comes into play later in the Guild questline, but it just seems out of place for this quest's page. Aishan 13:20, 12 August 2007 (EDT)
- I agree, so I've changed it. --Gaebrial 08:01, 3 September 2007 (EDT)
Vol failed to cast the spell. I cast Detect Life, and J was next to him. Rather than trying to find a Dispel or attacking him, I just walked up and activated him and he gave me credit normally.
The Notes and Bugs section of this page contradict each other, one sais it is possible to continue the quest if j'skar is still invisible, the other sais it is not, which is right? Volanaro 13:29, 3 March 2008 (EST)
- Well, both are true. Since it says on the Bruma Recommendation page that you can cast a dispel charm on J'skar yourself to take away the invisibility, you can still finish the quest even if Volanaro doesn't reveal him. It talks about this in the Bugs section; all you have to do is click on the second option link and it tells you how to do it. However, if neither of you reveal J'skar, then obviously you can never complete the quest. He has to be visible for your journal to continue with the quest. TexasWatermelon Sit and chat by the TexasWatermelon Patch 03:15, 30 June 2008 (EDT)
To avoid a theft stat take everything
When you open the desk, take everything to avoid the theft stat. Give the book, then if you want, return to the desk and place back all the stuff you stole.
- If this is true it would be a good addition to the page, as some like to avoid theft (although, as a counterpoint, there is no way to avoid it in another mages guild quest, and the only reason you would do this one would be the same reason you had to do the other one, so what difference is 2 vs. 3?) Still think it should be on the page (again, if true).--Catmaniac66 02:10, 4 March 2010 (UTC)
- Confirmed working under 1.2, surprisingly. I've added it to the page notes. Marshall B 01:24, 26 June 2011 (UTC)
Ancestor Guardian Attacks J'skar
Before I talked to Volanaro to make J'skar visible again, I summoned Ancestor Guardian (being a Dark Elf) and then I talked to Volanaro who made J'skar visible. As soon as J'skar became visible, the Ancestor Guardian attacked him and Volanaro and the other mages there attacked the guardian and several scamps and one skeleton were summoned to kill of my ancestor guardian. it was pretty funny to watch, but is this a glitch or something that was meant to happen? Mr nurr 11:11, 7 November 2009 (UTC)
- I've just tested this with three Dunmer characters and it happens every time. It is weird since the Ghost isn't hostile before J'skar is visible but only after Volanaro has dispelled him. This is probably a glitch of some sort, although the chances of evoking an Ancestor ghost, then talking to Volanaro are very limited. --SerCenKing Talk 17:33, 26 February 2010 (UTC)
Not just a pretty face
When you steal Jeanne's book, and then report back to her that the quest is done, she says something along the lines of "Hmm. You'll have to excuse me. I'm missing something rather important. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?" She sounds very suspicious of the player, like she knows they did it, but is ignoring the fact because you completed the quest. You need to actually hear this to realize this. Can anyone confirm?--Arch-Mage Matt 21:10, 15 November 2009 (UTC)
- I've done this mission quite some time ago, but I recall her saying that. She indeed sounded very suspicious but that has had no repercussions on the questline. Talk Wolok gro-Barok Contributions 21:18, 15 November 2009 (UTC)
- I know, it just may be worth a mention in the notes section.--Arch-Mage Matt 22:17, 15 November 2009 (UTC)
- I don't think it is important enough to be mentioned - if we should mention a detail like this, we could add tons of notes to the NPC pages. On the other hand, her quest-related dialogue could be worth including on her own page - that way, people can judge for themselves. --Krusty 12:49, 17 November 2009 (UTC)
- I know, it just may be worth a mention in the notes section.--Arch-Mage Matt 22:17, 15 November 2009 (UTC)
Does it have something to do with her disposition towards the player? Because I'm pretty sure when I spoke with her after I stole the book, she just said something along the lines of, "You'll have to excuse me, I seem to have misplaced something." Facebag 18:05, 31 May 2010 (UTC)
Volanaro not taking book - not necessarily a bug
There are some conditions for Volanaro accepting the book once you have acquired it from Jeanne's desk.
1. He will accept the book anytime as long as he is not in the basement. 2. If he is in the basement when the player returns, then he will only accept the book if the current time is before 10:00pm.
This is the way this quest is scripted. Perhaps the bug section should be updated.
--AndalayBay 20:24, 24 June 2010 (UTC)
I haven't tested this idea out because I would have to restart from the beginning, but if anyone wants to try it, I'm interested in the results. The page says that Volanaro casts the special Chameleon Spell at 8:00 pm every day, and the spell is scripted to last 24 hours. What would happen if you cast a Silence spell on Volanaro before he could cast on J'skar? Wouldn't J'skar's chameleon wear off?
Taking advantage of Chimelion Spell
I've been able to get between Volanaro and J'skar and receive the Chimelion spell. Funny thing is that J'skar also seemed to receive it as he stayed invisible ~ I waited from 8 till 3:00am upon which he went to sleep in the other bed where Volanaro sleeps. Has anyone used this as an exploit? I was able to complete 2 Oblivion gates being totally undetected by enemies (great way to improve fighting skills by using very crappy weapons and just nicking at them while they stand there) within the 24 hours time frame. 188.8.131.52 16:56, 26 January 2011 (UTC)
Until this quest is completed, Volanaro is scripted to cast a Chameleon spell on J'skar every evening. The spell (FormID 00083600) provides 100% Chameleon for 2880 seconds (as with all spells, the duration is real time; for standard game settings, the spell will last 24 in-game hours). It is possible to get in Volanaro's way when he is casting the spell, resulting in the long-duration Chameleon spell being cast on your character. For this to happen, you need to be standing in between Volanaro and J'skar (who is invisible) when they are both in the Mages Guild basement, shortly after 8pm.
- If you forget to speak to J'skar after Volanaro cast dispel on him, and then leave the guild hall he will be invisible again the next time you return. Volanaro won't cast the spell again, so you will have to find your own way to find J'skar.
Has this ever been confirmed ? JackTurbo95 08:33, 17 April 2011 (UTC)
Moved from page
- sometimes he casts the wrong spell and kills J'skar
This seems very unlikely, and if it did happen it's a one-off. Wolok gro-Barok 18:48, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
Bruma recommendation bug?
First off the quest doesn't show up even though I've spoken to Jeanne. Secondly the Manual of Spellcraft doesn't even show up in her desk. Help??— Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 21:44 on 3 January 2015
Dispel is cast, aaaaaand nothing
J'skar is either visible and nothing happens when i hit E to talk to him (that's what i have it set to) or he's not visible after it's cast. My journal won't update and i can't talk to him. I'm completely stopped from progressing — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 2 February, 2015
- Well you could always use console commands, maybe disable and enable. If you want to proceed the quest, you should use
setstage MG06Bruma 50~ Dwarfmp (talk) 12:57, 2 February 2015 (GMT)
- What's the most recent entry in the quest log for that quest? If you officially completed the quest, it should be listed under the "completed quests" tab in your journal with the message that Jeanne Frasoric has agreed to send a recommendation to Raminus Polus. Zul do onikaanLaan tinvaak 12:01, 5 June 2016 (UTC)