This quest only becomes available once you have downloaded the Knights of the Nine official plug-in.
- Return to the Priory of the Nine, and hear Lathon's news.
- Receive the Greaves of the Crusader and discover how to receive the Sword of the Crusader.
- Arrive at Underpall Cave to complete the quest.
Greaves of the Crusader
Proceed to the Priory of the Nine to find it cleaned up and decorated. Lathon, Sir Roderic's squire, approaches you, informs you of Sir Roderic's death and Sir Berich's resurrection, and gives you the Greaves of the Crusader.
A Tainted Blade
Lathon will also request to become a Knight of the Nine during your conversation. Eventually, you will have to accept Lathon to restore the full Knights Order, however, if you accept him at this point he will insist on following you to Underpall Cave and helping avenge the death of Sir Roderic during the next quest. He will also inform you that the Wraith of Lord Berich Vlindrel now has the Sword of the Crusader in Underpall Cave, having found it along with the Greaves of the Crusader when he was a knight before turning to evil. Sir Roderic went to his burial place in Underpall Cave to find them. But he was attacked by its terrible guardian - none other than the wraith of Lord Vlindrel - Sir Berich. He used the Sword to kill Sir Roderic. Sir Roderic believed that the Sword was corrupted somehow.
Simply travel to Underpall Cave to complete the quest and automatically start the next.
- Accepting Lathon prior to the completion of the next quest could either help or hurt the player depending on character type and level. Denying Lathon's acceptance until a further point does not have any negative side effects on either of the quests and he will simply wait at the Priory of the Nine until you do accept him. As such it is suggested to make a conscious decision as to what method will be used to recover the sword before leaving the Priory.
- Lathon may not show up at the Priory after you have gathered the four artifacts.
- One solution is to use the console commands
prid xx000F84 and
moveto player (
xx should be replaced by the mod number used for Knights of the Nine (if you have installed all of the plugins,
0A is likely to be the correct number). See Formids for Players for more information).
|The Faithful Squire (ND07)
||(Prophet disappears; enable squire at Priory; move Lathon's horse too)
||(make this quest active in journal)
||(set when player accepts Lathon as a knight)
||Lathon, the young squire of Sir Roderic, arrived at the Priory with a tragic tale. It seems that his master perished while attempting to defeat the dreadful undead guardian of the Sword of the Crusader. Lathon was able to escape with the Greaves of the Crusader, which he surrendered to me. I need to go to Underpall Cave where Sir Roderic fell, and reclaim the Sword of the Crusader for the Nine. (If the player has not accepted Lathon as a knight) or Lathon, the young squire of Sir Roderic, arrived at the Priory with a tragic tale. It seems that his master perished while attempting to defeat the dreadful undead guardian of the Sword of the Crusader. Lathon was able to escape with the Greaves of the Crusader, which he surrendered to me. I have made him a Knight, and asked him to accompany me to Underpall Cave where Sir Roderic fell. We will avenge his former master and reclaim the Sword of the Crusader for the Nine. (If the player has accepted Lathon as a knight)
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage ND07 stage, where
stage is the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.