- Once you have reached level 8, give Sanguine an offering of Cyrodilic Brandy to start the quest.
- Go to Leyawiin and play a prank at the countess' dinner party using Sanguine's spell.
- Flee from the guards in Leyawiin (while stark naked).
- Return to Sanguine to recover your gear and receive your reward: the Sanguine Rose, a staff that summons random Daedra.
The Shrine of Sanguine is roughly northwest of Skingrad and southeast of Fort Dirich at the edge of the treeline. Speaking to Fadus Calidius in Skingrad Fighters Guild or Falanu Hlaalu at All Things Alchemical will reveal the location of the shrine on your map (you must have already read Modern Heretics or have spoken with Ulene Hlervu about "Cheydinhal" for the topic to appear). You must be at least level 8 to start this quest.
An Offering to the God
At the shrine, Engorm will tell you that you need to give Sanguine some Cyrodilic Brandy for him to grant an audience with you. Cyrodilic Brandy can be stolen from many nobles' houses; it can also be bought at the Main Ingredient or the Gilded Carafe in the Imperial City. Also, Bogrum Gro-Galash in the Lonely Suitor Lodge in Bravil has a chance of having it in stock. Three samples can be found inside the Odiil Farm just outside of Chorrol, one sample is found at Cloud Ruler Temple in Jauffre's room, and one can be found in Baenlin's House. With the preliminaries taken care of, approach Sanguine and offer the brandy. He will say:
- Ah... another mortal come to beg Sanguine to add a bit of spice to an otherwise drab existence. I would have you perform a service for me. The Castle Leyawiin is a dull, dreary place. The mistress is an especially somber soul, and tomorrow she will hold another excruciating dinner party. I want you to liven it up. Use this spell on the Countess and her guests. I think it will make the party much more interesting. You should probably try to be inconspicuous. Or they might kill you. Oh, and the party is by invitation only. You'll have to find a way in. Have fun!
The Task at Hand
There is, in fact, no rush to get to Leyawiin; the dinner party will only get underway whenever you make it there, even if it takes you several weeks. When you go to Castle Leyawiin, you will find that you cannot enter the dining room (located to the right of the main audience hall). At night, the door will be locked; in the morning, a guard will be posted there. The guard confirms that there will be a dinner party, but that it is invitation only.
In fact, an invitation is not necessary. While the party is in progress (from 6pm until midnight) the guard will let you in if his disposition is high enough (greater than 70); or if you are wearing "valuable" enough equipment (which includes jewelry) or an "upper class" outfit.
Before proceeding, it is strongly recommended that you save your game. When you cast the Stark Reality spell, things are likely to become somewhat chaotic. The Countess is dining with four others: Britta Invel and her husband Jaras, Termanwe, and Vlarimil Orius. If the Countess (or any guest) isn't immediately there, try waiting 24 hours or so (eventually they will arrive). You will need to cast Stark Reality on all five people for the prank to be considered a success. If you are having trouble with this (see bugs), aiming at Termanwe will reliably affect everyone.
When you cast Stark Reality, you will discover that the dinner guests are stripped down to their undergarments and start running around hysterically. The guests aren't the only ones affected: all your possessions, including all of your gold, have vanished (don't panic: you will get everything back at the end of the quest). Casting the spell is considered to be an assault, because the spell has a Drain Health 1 component. The guards posted outside the room will immediately try to arrest you. Since you just lost all your gold, you cannot just pay a fine: you must go to jail or run.
Returning to the Shrine of Sanguine
Since you have no gear and no money, you'll probably want to return to the Shrine of Sanguine right away. Not only will you receive your reward, the Sanguine Rose, but Sanguine will also have all of your vanished gear waiting for you in a chest at the Shrine. His parting message is:
- A rousing success, mortal! And it appears you joined in the festivities as well. Good for you. You need to lighten up a bit. You'll find your equipment in that chest over there. And here's a little something for your efforts. Maybe we'll celebrate again sometime....
- It is possible to avoid a bounty altogether by:
- If your disposition with the guards is 91 or higher, you will still incur a bounty. However, you won't have to pay it nor will you be arrested.
- After you complete this quest, a special edition of the Black Horse Courier is published: "Pranks Spoils Society Gathering!"
- The map marker for the "Shrine Of Sanguine" is named differently from all of the other daedric shrines; the other shrine markers are named, for example, "Peryite's Shrine" or "Meridia's Shrine".
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- Performing this quest while other Leyawiin quests are active could cause unwanted consequences. In particular, the quests Mazoga the Orc and Knights of the White Stallion can become unavailable or terminate early if Mazoga comes to your aid and gets killed by the guards.
- The Stark Reality effect does not show up in the "Known Effects" list at a spell making altar.
- Stark Reality's removal of gear may cause the Permanent Effects from Quest Items bug.
- This issue has been addressed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; while the problem occurs less frequently, it can still happen, and saves from after the use of the spell can become corrupted. If after several tries you cannot avoid the problem, you can complete the quest in broken form, just to have earned it; revert to a save before using the spell; use the Console to advance the quest to stage 30; and return to the shrine to complete the quest.
- After Ahdarji's Heirloom is completed, the Countess is no longer marked as Essential. If she dies before the Sanguine quest is completed, you will not be able to obtain the Sanguine Rose. However, you will still get credit for completing the quest, and you may still qualify for the Hermaeus Mora quest.
- This issue has been addressed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; it marks the Countess as Essential until both quests are completed.
- If you visit the Countess in her dressing room while she is under the effect of the Stark Reality spell, she may never re-dress. It is possible for her to spend the rest of the game eating at the dinner table wearing only her underwear.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- For the Stark Reality spell to be considered a success, the Countess must also be affected by it. Because of her Chorrol-related bug, it is possible that she won't even show up in the first place.
- This issue has been addressed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; it basically cancels her trip to Chorrol at all times, including before this quest is initiated.
- If the Countess isn't around when you start the quest, keep checking once a day around 6–8 pm (wait in 24-hour increments). It may take several days, but should not take more than a week. Alternatively, try fast-traveling to Castle Chorrol and back to Castle Leyawiin, and make sure to enter both places. This can break her travel loop and make her resume her schedule.
- Chameleon no longer shields you from detection while casting Stark Reality, in the PC version. You can drop a Lockpick before casting the spell, and pick it up afterwards to break out of jail. An alternative is to drop a stack of Invisibility potions or scrolls, and make a fast escape from the castle under their effect (using one after each door-opening or other action that breaks the effect), if you don't have sufficient spellcasting ability yourself.
- This issue has been addressed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; Chameleon may still prove ineffective, even at over 100%, if you do not succeed in affecting the entire dinner party in a single casting. There's a several-seconds delay before you get the quest-advancement message indicating whether it worked, so you may have to cast it then flee the room through the back, hoping for the best. Keep reloading from a pre-casting save until you get it just right. Aim for the center of the dinner party, or a bit nearer the Countess than dead center, with very strong Chameleon, and in Sneak mode with any Sneak buffs you have.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage DASanguine stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.